Thread: I am 23 years old...my grandma hasn't been to Disneyland in 23 years.

EVERYPONY calm the buck down!
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I am 23 years old...my grandma hasn't been to Disneyland in 23 years.

I guess I am bad luck?

Haha....well I am finally getting to take her to Disneyland!

Some of you know..I was a cast member in DCA and DTD, but I very rarely went to DLR in my off time. I have never been in Fantasyland, I have never seen Fantasmic....I have never done a TON of things.

This Tuesday, the 6th of November, my friend and I are taking my grandma to Disneyland. My friend has been on lots of rides but my thing is is that they are both rather elderly...and though they want to go on some rides, I want them to see some shows and stuff. Maybe the parade if there is one.

What kinds of things are going on this time of year? What kinds of shows? ant special foods I should try or force them to eat?

I just want her to have a good day as I know she doesn't have many of them anymore. We're going to be leaving really early in the morning and staying possibly until closing or until they can't waddle around anymore. My grandma will probably have her walker and my friend her scooter, until my grandma gets tired and then i will rent her a wheel chair and push her myself. I may do that anyways.

The first time I ever went to Disneyland was like 2 years ago, and I am pretty sure there are a ton of things I never saw. My friend found out I never had been before and basically called her mom and was like gtfo and into the car...we're going to Disneyland!! But we did all the things she liked and I know I missed a lot.

And a special tid-bit...the first time I ever saw pin traders I asked my friend what they were doing...and she looked at me with a super angry face and told me, "Don't you EVER talk to those people, they're all FREAKS!!" And walked me around really fast. This was um...I think both the sword and the stone and the 101 dalmatians PoDMs were already out because I remeber seeing them on the shelves still and wanting one because it had a film strip in it...but since I was poor I didn't get one!

I really just want to make a really nice day for my grandmother...we won't really be pin trading that day...but I might wear a lanyard or something....

These are things I know I wanna take her on:

Small World, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Roger Rabbit, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the Mark Twain, Jungle Cruise....and is Indy still down? I will be sad if it is...but that's okay...

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Is there any way for you to delay your visit a little bit? Small world is closed until the 8th for holiday installations. We are heading back home this morning and I was so disappointed myself. Also, there are no fireworks until 12th I think. If it is possible to delay your visit by a week or so, you might get to see more Holiday stuff.

Consider taking the train around the park when you get tired to switch between lands.

I hope that you all will have a great time

the one and only.
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    BAHAHHA "Don't EVER talk to those people, they're all FREAKS" xD xD xD
    Anyways....this is soooooo sweet! You and you grandma are going to have an amazing time!
    Btw...since you might put her in a wheelchair...wheelchiars get to skip most lines

=^. .^=
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    I'd recommend checking out the parade, going to the Tiki Room in Adventureland (my personal favorite show!), and visiting Fantasyland for sure. (Like Disxar mentioned, anyone in a wheelchair or handicapped in any other way can skip lines.) Your grandmother may also enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean - It's a slow moving ride on the water (kind of like It's a Small World, now that I think of it!) and there's a lot to see. I'll post more if I think of anything else.

Cheshirefied
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I'll second the "pick a different day" recommendation. According to the OC Register, there will be filming at the park on the 6th and 7th that may block off a couple of lands and many shows and attractions. If you want the full experience, as Merryweather suggested, wait a week and go once holiday season starts.

=^. .^=
    Achievements:
    Level
    Since you said you've never been to Fantasyland(!!), I thought I'd mention a few rides that are especially good there: Peter Pan's Flight (and not just because I'm a huge Peter Pan fan!), the Teacups (a very iconic Disney ride), and Dumbo the Flying Elephant. As someone else mentioned, It's a Small World will sadly be closed for a while, because it's being redone for the holidays.

Here's a helpful link that might help you plan your trip a bit better: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan...-disabilities/

=^. .^=
    Achievements:
    Level
    P.S. Special food recommendations: A Dole Whip float from the Tiki Room, which will set you back about $5-6 (per float). (You can also get plain pineapple juice, or pineapple soft serve if you don't want to spend quite that much.)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thankyou guys! We actually found out the weather is really warm..and with all the suggestions we decided to wait until a few days after the first of December to go I want her to see all of the christmas decorations since she's never been for a holiday. We got 2 free tickets so we can go anytime between now and um...2014..

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Don't EVER talk to those people, they're all FREAKS!
    You say that like it's a bad thing...lol.

Just want to tell you, FYI, if you or someone in your party is in a wheelchair or has an SAP for some disability, you do NOT skip waiting in line. Most of the rides have one car/boat that is used for handicapped only and you wait in line with the other handicapped people for your turn. Usually it's a shorter wait, but not always. One year I was having some back problems and I got an SAP for the day. I decided to go on POTC and I stood in line a good 10 minutes and the line never moved. I got in the regular line which was moving and got on pretty quickly. When I got off the ride, the line for handicapped was still a mile long. That doesn't happen at every ride, of course, and that was pretty unusual, but just know that the lines aren't going to part for your party, a la the Red Sea, when you get there!

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Alot of the decorations are already up in Disneyland.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds Pins View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing...lol.

Just want to tell you, FYI, if you or someone in your party is in a wheelchair or has an SAP for some disability, you do NOT skip waiting in line. Most of the rides have one car/boat that is used for handicapped only and you wait in line with the other handicapped people for your turn. Usually it's a shorter wait, but not always. One year I was having some back problems and I got an SAP for the day. I decided to go on POTC and I stood in line a good 10 minutes and the line never moved. I got in the regular line which was moving and got on pretty quickly. When I got off the ride, the line for handicapped was still a mile long. That doesn't happen at every ride, of course, and that was pretty unusual, but just know that the lines aren't going to part for your party, a la the Red Sea, when you get there!
    My grandma is pretty against skipping lines and stuff actually. She doesn't think it fair even if she can't walk at all. She won't even get a handicap placard for the car....But thanks for the info. I know in DCA how the wheelchair things worked but not too much in DR or if it was the same