Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megara dress for AgentofAnarchy - FINISHED!

DisneyPinForum Veteran Gingernutty's Avatar

Megara dress for AgentofAnarchy - FINISHED!

The other day, I was asked by the lovely Mary-Lou (AgentofAnarchy) to make her a movie replica dress of Megara from Hercules, since I've made dresses before. She'd like it for her birthday, which is in 2 weeks time! So I have a lot of work to do, haha.
    This is the dress to be made:

The next day, I went out to buy materials for it. After failing to find a purple dress that I could customise, I decided to just get the fabric and pattern and start from scratch. So here's the stuff I bought:

I also got plastic buttons which I've re-shaped with milliput clay and painted the gold-yellow colour. Here's an in-progress shot of the painting:

I'm currently measuring and cutting out the pieces using the dress pattern I bought:

Hoping I'll have everything cut out and be ready to pin and dart it tomorrow!

Bonus picture: My snake, Lucius, loves when I'm sewing because he likes to dig in the piles of fabric and paper:

I'll be posting updates as I go!

-UPDATE 00:00 1st June-

All the pieces for the dress are cut out! I hate cutting fabric, I'm always convinced I'm gonna mess it up and ruin it.
    Tomorrow when I get home from work I'll be notching and pressing the seams, and pinning the whole thing together. Hooray!

Update June 5th:

I'm on to sewing! All the dress pieces are seamed together now, and tomorrow I should hopefully be attaching the bodice lining and the straps, and possible getting the neckline done too. Just gotta keep the sewing machine working....

Update June 7th:

Been sewing the past couple of days, but due to my sewing machine being as old as me and therefore being loud and making the floor shake, combined with my downstairs neighbours' 1-year-old baby's room being directly under my living room where I do my sewing, I can't use the machine after about 6pm. So I have to work in bursts. But I've still managed to get a fair bit done the past couple of days!

Here's the dress so far! As you can see, it now actually resembles a dress! Don't mind my fiance in the background, he's just holding the back of the dress together for the photo (I haven't put the back zipper in yet). The bodice is lined with another layer of fabric to reinforce it and make it opaque (the cotton fabric is slightly transparent). I have to seam the back and put in the zipper, attach the sashes and trim and hem the bottom.
    I also managed to get the darker purple fabric cut and stitched for the top sash (underbust level), but not attached yet, I'll be doing that and the waist sash tomorrow. I managed to get a photo with the underbust sash material tied on:

This sash will be stitched to the dress, as will the other one, so the dress will be entirely one piece.

For reference, if anyone's interested: This dress is for UK size 6-8, height 5'2-5'3. I'm the one wearing it in the photos, and I'm UK size 6 and 4'11" (so it's gonna look too long on me).

Last few steps!

The zipper is attached!

The dress is almost completely finished! Both sashes are attached:

Finished!

Unfortunately I couldn't get a pic of me wearing the finished product, but the lovely Mary-Lou may post a photo once the seam alterations are done (it's impossible to make a perfectly-fitting dress without the model there to fit it to, so minor alterations are almost always necessary).

This dress was fun to make! And only the 3rd full dress I've ever made entirely from scratch, which was cool.
    Last edited by Gingernutty; 06-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Please help me find my Grails:

Currently collecting: Brave,The Lion King, Mickey and Minnie Wedding, Tron, Boba Fett

Pin Trader from the Future! melanium's Avatar
    AGGHHH!!!! You have a snake!!

Very cool about the dress! Can't wait to see the finished product!

--Melanie

Love Wall-E, Meet the Robinsons, other Disney Robots, and anything futuristic, including Tomorrowland and Space Mountain! Also ANY Christmas pins!

the 13th Grim Grinning Ghost YoSoyAhPuch's Avatar
    This will be fun to watch.

Pin feathers and golly fluff! Archimedes's Avatar
    How exciting and very sweet of you! I can't wait to see the progress and the final product.

PinPics ID
    : UndertheSea26
    ***Focusing on: Archimedes (with and without Merlin), Zazu, Sebastian, Caterpillar, and Si & Am.***

DPF Charter Member Nettiejeanne's Avatar
    I ADORE that you are showing your work in progress!!!!! And waaaaay cool snake!

This Button Wants To Fly AgentOfAnarchy's Avatar
    I'm following your instagram and now this thread thankyou so muc for taking on the task!!!

36 Hercules pins left!
    Now onto Frozen!... wait what?

Thanks for the messages guys! I take a lot of progress photos so I should be able to update often. And have more helper-snake photos

Currently collecting: Brave,The Lion King, Mickey and Minnie Wedding, Tron, Boba Fett

RedBaron &Girl with magic hair fireheadfred's Avatar
    Kayla is crazy talented!!! skills to the hill!! she made my rapunzel dress

I so envy you people that can sew!!!!
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t268/iggy1112/sigcopy_zps4ed8ca14.jpg

The Girl That's Never Been Vixy's Avatar
    Ooohhh, fantastic! Can't wait to see more!

DisneyPinForum Veteran HiddenMickeys's Avatar
    Omg, this is so cool! I'm so excited that you decided to post your progress! So jelly that you can do things like this, I've always wanted to make clothes but just don't have the patience and the capability to be so detail oriented. Soooo awesome! Please please please keep us updated on what you're doing and how things are going!

DisneyPinForum Veteran Snoffsan's Avatar
    Wow!!! Amazing!!!

I love the rapunzel dress! And Hollie looks exactly like Rapunzel!!!

Pinpics Snoffsan

HiddenMickeys - haha, I'm not patient at all. I'm just a ridiculous perfectionist, so I HAVE to get everything done perfectly. The Rapunzel dress was hell at some points, I went so crazy on the detail. At least this Meg dress is much simpler!

DisneyPinForum Veteran VanellopeFan's Avatar
    Very cool . Can't wait to see the finished product!

Also, love the snake .
    Siggy under construction!

All the pieces are cut out now, ready for the seams to be notched and pressed and the whole thing pinned together. Hopefully I'll be ready to start the sewing by Monday/Tuesday, since I'm probably gonna have to hand-sew it all.

Ahhhh I love costumes (I cosplay and do a lot of costuming for theatre)!! I can't wait to see the progress and finished product!!

After a busy weekend (had to work all weekend) I've finally got back to the dress! I got all the piece pinned together, and my lovely housemate agreed to model the dress to check the fit (he's the only one in the house the right height/build!). Here's an awful photo of the pieces being pinned:

Today I got the sewing machine out, and miraculously got it working!

(It's in perfect working order, but everytime I touch a sewing machine it refuses to work! It's happened on 5 different machines, which all worked fine before and after I used them...) So today I managed to get all the pieces seamed together, hooray! Once I get the straps attached, I should have photos of the basic dress!

DisneyPinForum Veteran HiddenMickeys's Avatar
    Wow! This is really incredible! Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Update in the OP of the whole dress!

Judge of the Dark Court starry_solo's Avatar
    pretty!

DisneyPinForum Veteran The Wise One's Avatar
    Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also collect Stitch, Tiger Lily, Disney Afternoon pins, and all other princesses

Youre killing me! so jelly you can sew. Once when i got pregnant and had time on my hands since i wasn't drinking TEHEHE--i decided to take a sewing class and made a maternity alfit..YEH IT WAS SO BAD, i had like 3 arms and uneven skirt.
    So gingernutty we are the same kick ass height, i knew i liked you xo
    So make some cool stuff and then i can borrow it!

Quote Originally Posted by dawny View Post
    Youre killing me! so jelly you can sew. Once when i got pregnant and had time on my hands since i wasn't drinking TEHEHE--i decided to take a sewing class and made a maternity alfit..YEH IT WAS SO BAD, i had like 3 arms and uneven skirt.
    So gingernutty we are the same kick ass height, i knew i liked you xo
    So make some cool stuff and then i can borrow it!
    Aww, it takes practice! I've been sewing for about 12 years now been making costumes for 6 years and I'm still not that good! I just used a good pattern for this dress.
    Short people high five!!!

DisneyPinForum Veteran IadoreWDW's Avatar
    Wow you are one talented lady!
    Amazing signature by Snow <3

Quote Originally Posted by Gingernutty View Post
    Short people high five!!!

The dress looks amazing Michaela! I love the updates you've posted.

With grateful thanks to BugCatcherJenna, Tbird & Kritter for their help with my signature