The other day, I was asked by the lovely Mary-Lou (AgentofAnarchy) to make her a movie replica dress of Megara from Hercules, since I've made dresses before. She'd like it for her birthday, which is in 2 weeks time! So I have a lot of work to do, haha.
This is the dress to be made:
The next day, I went out to buy materials for it. After failing to find a purple dress that I could customise, I decided to just get the fabric and pattern and start from scratch. So here's the stuff I bought:
I also got plastic buttons which I've re-shaped with milliput clay and painted the gold-yellow colour. Here's an in-progress shot of the painting:
I'm currently measuring and cutting out the pieces using the dress pattern I bought:
Hoping I'll have everything cut out and be ready to pin and dart it tomorrow!
Bonus picture: My snake, Lucius, loves when I'm sewing because he likes to dig in the piles of fabric and paper:
I'll be posting updates as I go!
-UPDATE 00:00 1st June-
All the pieces for the dress are cut out! I hate cutting fabric, I'm always convinced I'm gonna mess it up and ruin it.
Tomorrow when I get home from work I'll be notching and pressing the seams, and pinning the whole thing together. Hooray!
Update June 5th:
I'm on to sewing! All the dress pieces are seamed together now, and tomorrow I should hopefully be attaching the bodice lining and the straps, and possible getting the neckline done too. Just gotta keep the sewing machine working....
Update June 7th:
Been sewing the past couple of days, but due to my sewing machine being as old as me and therefore being loud and making the floor shake, combined with my downstairs neighbours' 1-year-old baby's room being directly under my living room where I do my sewing, I can't use the machine after about 6pm. So I have to work in bursts. But I've still managed to get a fair bit done the past couple of days!
Here's the dress so far! As you can see, it now actually resembles a dress! Don't mind my fiance in the background, he's just holding the back of the dress together for the photo (I haven't put the back zipper in yet). The bodice is lined with another layer of fabric to reinforce it and make it opaque (the cotton fabric is slightly transparent). I have to seam the back and put in the zipper, attach the sashes and trim and hem the bottom.
I also managed to get the darker purple fabric cut and stitched for the top sash (underbust level), but not attached yet, I'll be doing that and the waist sash tomorrow. I managed to get a photo with the underbust sash material tied on:
This sash will be stitched to the dress, as will the other one, so the dress will be entirely one piece.
For reference, if anyone's interested: This dress is for UK size 6-8, height 5'2-5'3. I'm the one wearing it in the photos, and I'm UK size 6 and 4'11" (so it's gonna look too long on me).
Last few steps!
The zipper is attached!
The dress is almost completely finished! Both sashes are attached:
Unfortunately I couldn't get a pic of me wearing the finished product, but the lovely Mary-Lou may post a photo once the seam alterations are done (it's impossible to make a perfectly-fitting dress without the model there to fit it to, so minor alterations are almost always necessary).
This dress was fun to make! And only the 3rd full dress I've ever made entirely from scratch, which was cool.