Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merlin's Magical Pin Collection -- SUPER IMAGE HEAVY (Updated 4/15)

Merlin's Magical Pin Collection -- SUPER IMAGE HEAVY (Updated 4/15)

Hey gang!

UPDATED 4/15/17

Well, it’s been over a year since my last big collection update post, so I suppose now is as good a time as any! :3 My collections have really exploded in just a year and I have so many of you to thank for it! I would inevitably leave out many people if I tried to list out everyone who’s given me a good deal, tipped me off on a sale, helped me with a pickup, zapped me, or just had their ears and eye open for my collections. So to everyone who has done any of those things, I want to say THANK YOU from the very bottom of my heart. It’s because of you that I have such a phenomenal collection (if I do say so myself). :3 You’re all the best!

Alright, enough sap! Bring on the pins!

BEWARE: Here there be some fantasy pins as well. So if that rustles your jimmies, avert thine eyes. XD

Let’s just start off with my #1 main collection!

SWORD IN THE STONE

Here’s my lovely little Merlin corner. I love it so! Whenever I feel frumpy, I’ll just go and check it out. And it makes me smile. Here’s a close-up of the pins.

People always ask me: “Merlin,” they say, “what’s your favorite Merlin pin?” And I always say, “All of them…” However, the Merlin Fantasy Folk (with Archimedes dangle, center right) stands out as an obvious favorite.

I’ve worked so hard on this collection and it’s something I am incredibly proud of. I’ve loved watching it outgrow cases and the existential crisis I have every time I get a new pin and have to decide where to put it. Hahah! I’ve gotten some amazing help on this collection in particular over the years, and for that I am eternally grateful. :3

ALADDIN AND THE MAGIC CARPET RIDE

While Merlin may be my favorite character, I think Aladdin is my favorite movie (shhh, don’t tell SitS!). It’s also the film that I have the most pins of, as you’ll see later on. Hahah! I really enjoy this set as it’s fairly specific and there’s a lot of variety in the case. The Stitch Carpet Ride is probably my favorite, though the DSUK “Do you trust me” runs a close second. Oh, and the Oscars one...Oof that one is so pretty...

Here are also some fantasy pins and a few favorite official pins that deserved to be on showcase:

PIN-TIQUITIES

This was actually the second set I ever started, beginning with the center piece, Vitruvian Mickey. I really enjoy when Disney invades the “real” world of history and art, so this collection is very near and dear to my heart. Also, being a Shakespearean, the Stitch as Hamlet pin, recently traded with Ksnuggles, and Queen Elizabeth Minnie, recently traded from Arendale, rank among my top favorite pins of all time--along with Renaissance Stitch from Aidan! And David (speedwaystar1) recently zapped me the Donald painting the Sistene Chapel pin in the center and I'm still pretty much over the moon about it...

I'm trying to track down the rest of the Fantasy in Olympia pins (the silver ones there on the bottom), so if you have some, let me know!

PRINCE JOHN, ALAN-A-DALE, AND ROBIN HOOD

For some bizarre reason, I’ve always adored Prince John and frequently quote him: “My dear emotional lady, why should I?” or “Forgive me a cruel chuckle.” I just adore his character, and his pins are often so funny! And, naturally, Robin Hood was one of my favorites growing up and, being into folklore and myth, it wasn’t hard to convince myself to hunt for him. Hahah! I also love Alan-a-Dale as a storyteller figure.

SCROOGE MCDUCK

I grew up on Ducktales and Scrooge McDuck was something of a hero for me (though I’m terrible with money…). And naturally, I started casually picking up some pins here and there, and then, before I knew it, I had to graduate to a super case for him!! I’m really proud of this collection! There are some great pins here. And I must say, I am indebted specifically to Counselor for many of the biggest grails in this set, including the spinner centerpiece. He’s generously and graciously zapped, traded, and sold me some of my favorite pins in the set and it wouldn’t be nearly as impressive without his help.

HERCULES

Well, all I can say is, “That escalated quickly…”. This collection started around May of last year and has truly exploded. And specifically with some incredible help from AvatarAng1. Since DSF has had my number these past few months, he’s gone above and beyond to really make sure I get my hands on some of the best pins in the set. There are still many Herc pins I’m after, but man this collection has really taken off! Megara and the Muses are my main focus, with Herc, Hades, and Pegasus coming up next. If there were more pins of the gods like Zeus, Hera, and Hermes, I would be after them too!

And here are some fantasy pins that I’m super fond of:

COGSWORTH

Last time I did this thread, my Cogsy collection was still on the boards and just barely toddling! Now it's all grown up in its own case! :3 I've always loved Cogsy (I played him my senior year for the high school musical!), so it was only a matter of time before he got his own collection. XD I've got some winners in here, and since my superpower is starting a collection and then Disney releasing tons of pins for it, I have a feeling it will grow nicely. :3 I'm majorly fond of the centerpiece in this one!

JDS CHESS SET

This set was a major avalanche! I got all of the Pawn pieces in one purchase, and from there pairs just started coming out of the woodwork! Even though there's some space in there, I have several pieces on the way! I only need the Silver Queen and Silver Pluto Rook!!! JUST TWO MORE!!! 8D

STAR WARS: CROSSOVERS

Here’s another collection that exploded quickly! I’ve always liked SW, especially R2-D2. But I find that most of the “realistic” SW pins are pretty blah. So I focus here on Disney Characters as SW Characters! This collection built up so quickly, that now I’m basically down to three or four pins left of it and I’ll call it done! Hahah! Shout out to Mixedwolf and AshelyV who have had a major hand in making this one awesome.

DISNEY AFTERNOON

Like I said, I grew up on Ducktales, and Darkwing Duck was another favorite, and Rescue Rangers too. But for some reason, nothing will ever beat Gummi Bears. Especially Zummi Bear. He is one of my absolutely all-time favorite animated characters of anything. Adore him. <3

KINGDOM HEARTS

This franchise has owned my life for almost 15 years and I adore it so. So this is my little KH shrine, with all of the strategy guides, mostly fantasy pins, and a KH treasure chest and potion a dear friend made me many years ago.

Here’s a close-up of the pins:

The PTDs are a work of art and I am seriously in love with them. I can’t wait for more!

PERSONAL MEMORIES

This little case is full of just random pins that I have personal attachments to. For instance, the Dragon Mickey Head at the bottom was the first pin I bought in the parks to keep on my very first Disney trip. A few are pins students have given me after finding out I pin trade, and my Happy Birthday Button, which I’ll switch out every year. (30 is coming up soon, guys! Oi vey!) If you want to know more about a specific pin, just ask! This opening post is already super long. XD

BOARD #1: ALADDIN, GENIE, LITERATURE, AND SCOOP

This board houses the Aladdin pins that didn’t make it into the Magic Carpet Ride case. On the top right are mostly Prince Ali, and some Jasmine and Abu here or there that strike me. Top left are some Genie pins. Robin Williams is a personal hero and I was crushed at his passing. So these always remind me to smile even when I don’t want to. Top center has the (massive) puzzle set and the beautiful red marquee.

Bottom left are my literature pins. I’ll cycle through these mostly to wear whenever I teach. I’m always on the lookout for something that would fit here, or pins of characters reading.

Bottom right are my Scoop Sanderson pins. I hunted Scoop several times on my early Disney trips years ago and found him finally on the last day of what I assumed would be my last trip. I was overjoyed to meet him and got the chance to trade with him too! When I moved to Florida and got my annual pass, I scoped him out again and was so happy to find him at catch up! I explained how much of a highlight it was to meet him last time and showed him some pictures of how my collection had grown; come to find out, his “friend” Holland also collected SitS! He told me to catch him later that day and I felt like the President had just asked me to lunch. I was giddy. When I found him again, he gave me the Continuing Tradition pin and I cried. Beyond any other pin, it is my prize that will forever mean the world to me. Later, I met his “friend” at a pin trading event and he traded me the two Scoop pins on cards. Now that Scoop has retired, these are incredibly special to me, and it was a great honor to meet him every time I did in the parks. Certainly my fondest Disney memories.

And there in the middle are my Moana Tattoo pins. I love their mythic, story-telling qualities. Oh, and Hei Hei. My spirit animal. <3

BOARD #2: JAFAR AND OTHER VILLAINS

Being an Aladdin collector, it’s natural that Jafar would be an interest. And while I don’t officially collect Jafar, I’ve got some majorly awesome pins here that I adore. Namely that WDI Villains pin, Sultan Jafar, and Jafar PTD (he’s so pleased!!)

On the bottom left, we’ve got some Hades overflow that didn’t make it into the case. Next up a handful of lingering Scar, Maleficent, and Ursula pins that I just can part with. Moving up the right are my Villains Hidden Mickey sets! Just one last smile HM to go! And wrapping up with some Rattigan and Basil in the top middle.

BOARD #3: MISCELLANEOUS COLLECTIONS

This board has some random stuff on it. XD Top left is the Chinese Zodiac mystery set that I love seeing completed! I’ve got a few other Asian-themed pins around there too! Bottom left are my realistic Star Wars pins, namely the 2016 May the Fourth pins. Bottom right are some random Donald pins I randomly don’t want to get rid of (I blame Kingdom Hearts…). Top Right are some random HM sets. One day I should work on tracking down the real versions of some of my zodiac scrappers… Hrm. The Zodiac HM series was the first set that I completed in the parks! And in the center are some random sets—Shields, Zootopia, Baymax, a little Frozen, and a Kevin pin that my boyfriend refuses to let me part with. XD UP is his favorite movie. Hahah!

BOARD #4: GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE, SETS, AND OTHER MISCELLANEOUS

Well, last time I did this update, I said that one day I'd start collecting GMD. Well, that happened a few weeks ago, hahah! These guys haven't quite made it to a case yet, but I'm sure that day isn't too far away. XD Major shout out to AvatarAng1 for getting me some of the new DSF GMD pins! You da real MVP. (I just wanted another acronym...)

In the bottom left are my Doctor Strange pins (<3 Benny....) which AvatarAng1 ALSO had a major hand in making happen. Maybe this is just the Mark board. XD

The center has some random stuff in it. The Maui tattoo pins (a major storytelling element), my spirit animal Hei Hei, some F&G pins (I think I'm going to keep the Figment one from each year I attend), and some other random things that I just really like! Bottom right is a looming Jungle Cruise collection....when is that going to explode... On the left is some room for the Doorways to Disney series from this year, the Magical Timepieces (I like clocks...), and the AiW Chess series.

BOARD #5: OVERFLOW AND FANTASY

With a finite amount of space in my cases, it’s logical that I’d need some overflow space. The bottom left is mostly SitS fantasy and a few others that I just couldn’t fit into that overly crowded case (and the next size up is simply too massive to even work with…).

Top left are the Magic Carpet Ride overflow--mostly the ones that reuse the exact same pose (a pet peeve...) and the beautiful Jasmine Silhouette Aidan got me from the BatB event at DSF! It's so pretty and really needs to stay on its card, so it gets a roomy spot here.

Got some other overflow here too--Scrooge, Pin-Tiquities, Herc, and Robin Hood. Boards are only so big...

Whelp, thanks everyone for reading and skimming all the way to this point! I hope you enjoyed! Thanks again to everyone who has had a hand in helping me build up such an awesome collection! Hugs and luff to you all! <3

~Merlin
    Last edited by MerlinEmrys; 04-15-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Pins Numbers are from PinPics.com
    Pinpics ID: Merlin_Emrys | Merlin's Wants | Merlin's Trades

In addition to my pins, I also have some awesome art and such!

This is a super cool piece! I got to meet the artist and have him sign it! I also happen to have a PERFECT pin to go in the corner! How epic is that? XD

And then there's this brooding guy whom I received in my RAK! He makes me laugh so much! I think I've finally talked the boyfriend into letting me put it in the hallway. ;P Hahah!

I always look through the sketches at Disney Springs just to check them out, but promised myself never to order one--if a Merlin popped up, it was meant to be. Well, not only did he pop up, but he was colored and by my favorite artist! So, that was definitely meant to be. Hahah!

For Christmas, I used some gift money to get myself a special Disney present, but I didn't know what--and I didn't want it to be a pin (weird, I know). But then I saw this and instantly knew this was perfect. XD Ah, I love this sketch! Hahah!
    Last edited by MerlinEmrys; 01-28-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Wow! This is a phenomenal, magical collection! Way to go Merlin!

PinPics name: Tokaji

AND! As an interesting bonus, here's the picture of my very first pin "boards":

This picture is from Jan 24, 2013, not long after I joined DPF and really got into pin collecting! Look at how far this collection has come in just FIVE YEARS!!! CRAZY! XD

~Merlin

Merlin! I love your collections! It's really fun to watch them grow. Thanks for sharing!

I'm caw_caw_rawr on PinPics
    I have obtained 49530!

B for Belle or B for bacon? watzshakinbacon's Avatar
    Your collections are amazing and inspiring! Your first pin boards pic looks like.. my pin board lol haha I guess I have a long way to go, but I'll get there! Thanks for sharing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PinPics: watzshakinbacon (My Wants | My Traders)
    ISO: Belle, Maleficent, Dumbo, Wall-E, and Mickey/Minnie couple!
    Grail: #40542 Belle & Beast Masterpiece

DPF's Keyblade Wielder Purplemandms's Avatar
    Brb, gotta add that Minnie painting Starry Night pin to the art thread and my most wanted. (Along with that heartless PTD! Oh my!!)

Great collections Merlin! I wonder what magnificence your collection will have in another 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~*~ VERY busy with school, sorry! Hope to see ya real soon! ~*~
    Tink l Alice in Wonderland l Kingdom Hearts l Almost Anything Book-Related
    Pinpics ID: Purplemandms
    My Pins

Good golly Batman this is an amazing collection!

Congrats Merlin, I'm sure everyone here is more than happy to help a wizard guy achieve his dream of becoming the ultimate SITS collector!

Thank you Speedwaystar1 for my signature!

Merlin, your collections are jaw-droppingly beautiful! I'm so, so happy I was able to help out with the Star Wars one and that the Archimedes goes to Hogwarts print has gotten so much love! (Also, major kudos on that Hercules collection. Very impressive.)

Your collections are just... ....wow! So many great pins and so nicely framed. All great themes and wonderful variety. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

DisneyPinForum Veteran jprincess's Avatar
    Wow what a beautiful collection! Wow wow wow wow!!!! Thanks for sharing. This was so awesome to look through.

[IMG][/IMG]

DisneyPinForum Veteran Counselor's Avatar
    Love it!! Need to get cracking on displaying mine! Beautiful ... Simply amazing!

Signature Banner courtesy of MerlinEmrys

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    What beautiful displays! I really like how you have everything grouped together for each collection. Gives me ideas for my next-collection-adventure!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thank you for sharing the pictures, Merlin, your collection is absolutely amazing! Its a collection I could only dream of having, living in the UK, and collecting now for around twenty years, my collection is no where as impressive as yours. You've amassed quite a selection in a short space of time, but then I'm sure that's easy to do, living in the heart, of the magic of Disney.... I love the combination of Disney and fantasy pins, I'm a big fan of the fantasy pins myself.

A beautiful collection, displayed beautifully, it must bring you so much joy. Thanks for all you do for the pin community!

DisneyPinForum Veteran Shelterkat's Avatar
    Well I am sitting here with my morning coffee enjoying every minute of reading this! And I see the Jungle/Jingle Cruise pins I picked up for you haha! Thank you for posting!

PINPICS ID: SHELTERKAT
    WANTS TRADES

DisneyPinForum Veteran mickeymousje's Avatar
    WOW! Very impressive collection!! Love them all!

Staahhhhhp!!! You're making me want to get pins out of bags and onto corkboards! Your displays are wonderful! Have you seen the spirit world Meg FP?

I love your Aladdin magic carpet ride display, it's my favorite here.

DisneyPinForum Veteran vans4bkah's Avatar
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. You must have a lot of walls to hang these on.

Quote Originally Posted by xdattax View Post
    Staahhhhhp!!! You're making me want to get pins out of bags and onto corkboards! Your displays are wonderful! Have you seen the spirit world Meg FP?

I love your Aladdin magic carpet ride display, it's my favorite here.
    Yaaaaas! Pins are meant to be seen and admired! XD Free the pins!! XD

And possibly? Is she stained glass? I had to kind of chill with Herc FPs. XD after I got the Muses I said I should be good for a while. Hahah!

~Merlin

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vans4bkah View Post
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. You must have a lot of walls to hang these on.
    Sadly, I do not. XD right now I have them propped up on home made tiers and on bookshelves. I wish I could hang them, but there's not as much wall space in this apartment. But hopefully at our next place I'll have some walls!

DisneyPinForum Veteran Counselor's Avatar
    I have my pins in shadow boxes but am still trying to figure out how to get them vertical without the heavy pins falling out of the Foam core board... What are you using in the boxes to attach your pins to? I am really struggling to find material that is sturdy enough yet stout enough to support all that weight ...
    Last edited by Counselor; 01-29-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Signature Banner courtesy of MerlinEmrys

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    I have my pins in shadow boxes but am still trying to figure out how to get them vertical without the heavy pins falling out of the Foam core board... What are you using in the boxes to attach your pins to? I am really struggling to find material that is sturdy enough yet stout enough to support all that weight ...
    For most of them, there's at least two layers of felt (which keeps it sturdy) and then usually cotton batting (like you use in quilts). The batting will push the pins against the glass and that gives it enough pressure to keep from falling forward. And it's a lot lighter than cork. Only my SitS case has cork in it and it's much too heavy to be hung up. The frame itself would break under the weight! So batting is a much lighter alternative.

~Merlin

Maybe stained glass? It's my favorite FP from Herc, though the sitting ghostly Meg is lovely (but I don't have, I'm trying very very hard to stick to Hades, but the Muses are trying to invade)

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...les-1813316158 not my picture. Just found it online. Too lazy to take a picture of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by xdattax View Post
    Maybe stained glass? It's my favorite FP from Herc, though the sitting ghostly Meg is lovely (but I don't have, I'm trying very very hard to stick to Hades, but the Muses are trying to invade)

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...les-1813316158 not my picture. Just found it online. Too lazy to take a picture of mine.
    Ah! Yes I have seen it! It's super pretty. :3. I'm a sucker for the Spirit Megs. XD but my favorites are always her in the garden with the Herc statue. Anything from that scene is perfect for me. (Meg, Muses, AND a hopeless romantic!? Yes please). I am deeply hoping that Disney will do the Muses Busts at some point!!

Wow, incredible collection and very nicely organized...thanks for sharing!