Thread: Board Games

Board Games

So I really have two big hobbies in life, it seems: Pins and Board Games (not Monopoly/Life/Chutes and Ladders - Catan/Caverna/Pandemic/etc). I spend a very good chunk of my money on these two things. I love just about any kind of board game (although my game group is a little pickier), and have been working to build my collection for a few years. I find that, much like pins, board games have a unique way of bringing people together. They have actually been a huge factor in bringing and keeping my wife's slightly disjointed family together.

Anyone else a big fan of the board game?

PinPics name: Tokaji

DisneyPinForum Senior Member maiarebecca's Avatar
    I loooooove playing strategy board games! Although I don't have a regular group of board gaming friends so I don't play them as often as I'd like. There's a cafe not too far from me with hundreds of games and you just grab a cup of coffee and rent a table for as long as you want. It's pretty fantastic!

I wish my area had a board game cafe! They are amazing inventions, and if I had the money, I would open one up myself. (Although I'm really not sure how it would do around here...)

My sister's big into board games, and she's gotten us into it a bit too. We've had Settlers for years, but we've recently acquired Pandemic: Cthulhu, Sushi Go, and Forbidden Desert. My husband and I want to give Pandemic: Legacy a shot (my sister and her boyfriend just finished their game). I've also heard good things about 7 Wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuJerkJai View Post
    My sister's big into board games, and she's gotten us into it a bit too. We've had Settlers for years, but we've recently acquired Pandemic: Cthulhu, Sushi Go, and Forbidden Desert. My husband and I want to give Pandemic: Legacy a shot (my sister and her boyfriend just finished their game). I've also heard good things about 7 Wonders.
    Pandemic is a great game, and my wife got us Legacy for Christmas, but I have yet to get a group together to play it. I'm super excited. Sushi Go (specifically the slightly newer Sushi Go Party) is a constant favorite of ours. Being able to create your own deck of cards from all kinds of different things is so much fun! I haven't played 7 Wonders either, but I also hear good things. I love a good drafting game (Sushi Go!) and want to see what else people have done with it.

If you like those games and can find it, check out Archaeology: The New Expedition. It's like being Indiana Jones, and it only takes ~20 minutes to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokaji View Post
    If you like those games and can find it, check out Archaeology: The New Expedition. It's like being Indiana Jones, and it only takes ~20 minutes to play.
    I will do that! Twenty minutes is perfect, especially when my kids are playing. They've surprised me with how well they handle even complicated instructions, but their attention span wanes after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuJerkJai View Post
    I will do that! Twenty minutes is perfect, especially when my kids are playing. They've surprised me with how well they handle even complicated instructions, but their attention span wanes after a while.
    Haha, so does mine! My brothers-in-law enjoy much more expansive games that can take 2-5 hours, and I like them every so often, but not as much as they do.

I enjoy board games but I don't get to play them as much as I'd like.

I loved Settlers of Catan the few times I played it... but my favorite games are the ones where you learn about the people you're playing with. I really like Imaginiff and Say Anything, for example.

I also love Scrabble and Scattergories. I think it's because I'm better at word games than strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(#38233 acquired! Yay!)
    PinPics: My Wants ~ My Trades
    e-mail: sorapandora@AOL.com

A Villainous Villain! AidanShepard's Avatar
    One of my FAVORITE board games is Betrayel at the House on the Hill. It's super fun and has so many different scenarios. Love it!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thank you Merlin_Emrys for the BANNER! AHHH!
    My current goals!! Any help is super appreciated!!
    Pinpics ID: Aidan

Are you on Tapatalk? Feel free to chat! c:

B for Belle or B for bacon? watzshakinbacon's Avatar
    I love board games but have no one to play with!! It seriously depresses me haha When I do get to play with my friends, it's like the best thing ever! I

I recently just played Nefarious, which is a really quick strategy game (like 20 min.. I guess kinda like Sushi Go?). It was pretty fun and the mad scientist/ invention illustrations were hilarious!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PinPics: watzshakinbacon (My Wants | My Traders)
    ISO: Belle, Maleficent, Dumbo, Wall-E, and Mickey/Minnie couple!
    Grail: #40542 Belle & Beast Masterpiece

DPF's Keyblade Wielder Purplemandms's Avatar
    I just bought pandemic for a friend for Christmas! I heard great things. I also participate in the tabletop gaming scene, but only with one game. (This game involves many more dragons than your typical board game.)

~*~ VERY busy with school, sorry! Hope to see ya real soon! ~*~
    Tink l Alice in Wonderland l Kingdom Hearts l Almost Anything Book-Related
    Pinpics ID: Purplemandms
    My Pins

Quote Originally Posted by AidanShepard View Post
    One of my FAVORITE board games is Betrayel at the House on the Hill. It's super fun and has so many different scenarios. Love it!!
    My sister and her bf like that one, too. And his son LOVES it.

DisneyPinForum Senior Member maiarebecca's Avatar
    I'm making a mental note of all of these games! My favorite is Dominion (although technically not a board game).

DisneyPinForum Veteran speedwaystar1's Avatar
    My personal favourites are Zombicide & Arcadia Quest , sadly I don't get to play too often with mates but Zombicide can be played single player which is good fun .
    Arcadia Quest : Inferno has just been released and one of the KS exclusive characters is based on Maleficent !

Quote Originally Posted by SoraPandora
    I enjoy board games but I don't get to play them as much as I'd like.

I loved Settlers of Catan the few times I played it... but my favorite games are the ones where you learn about the people you're playing with. I really like Imaginiff and Say Anything, for example.

I also love Scrabble and Scattergories. I think it's because I'm better at word games than strategy.
    Me either! Scattergories is a great game. I love to play Scrabble, but I get too competitive when I play it, so I only play it online to parse out the competitive spirit. Have you heard of a game called Concept? It's basically charades, but played by marking off ideas on a board instead of acting things out. It's a hell of a lot of fun. That one and Monikers are two of my favorite goofy/party games. OH! And Codenames, for which there will be a Disney version coming out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanShepard View Post

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    We played this one once but the scenario we got was way out of balance in favor of evil (it had to do with cats and mice) and evil won in a matter of two turns, I think, so we haven't come back to it since. Definitely want to see what else it can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by watzshakinbacon
    I love board games but have no one to play with!! It seriously depresses me haha When I do get to play with my friends, it's like the best thing ever! I recently just played Nefarious, which is a really quick strategy game (like 20 min.. I guess kinda like Sushi Go?). It was pretty fun and the mad scientist/ invention illustrations were hilarious!

I haven't even heard of Nefarious... (Opens a search in a new tab for later...) Also, have you heard of Board Game Arena? You can play some pretty sweet board games online there with folks all over the world!

Quote Originally Posted by maiarebecca
    I'm making a mental note of all of these games! My favorite is Dominion (although technically not a board game).

Totally counts! One of my current favorites is called Mystic Vale, which is a card/deck building game. If you like Dominion, you should look it up.

B for Belle or B for bacon? watzshakinbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokaji View Post
    I haven't even heard of Nefarious... (Opens a search in a new tab for later...) Also, have you heard of Board Game Arena? You can play some pretty sweet board games online there with folks all over the world!
    Oh boy! I'll have to look into that, but I think I'll have to wait until summer. I have so much to do with school. Ugh 😑

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PinPics: watzshakinbacon (My Wants | My Traders)
    ISO: Belle, Maleficent, Dumbo, Wall-E, and Mickey/Minnie couple!
    Grail: #40542 Belle & Beast Masterpiece

I love board games! I don't get to play with people as much anymore, but it just makes the times when we do play more fun. I really like Tsuro and The Resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Setsuykie View Post
    I love board games! I don't get to play with people as much anymore, but it just makes the times when we do play more fun. I really like Tsuro and The Resistance.
    That seems to be a familiar lament here! Maybe we should get a group together on BoardGameArena to play some board games.

I have not played Tsuro (looks great, though!) and love The Resistance, but my group hates (HATES) bluffing/lying/negotiation games... It kinda stinks... We have been playing a good lot of Caverna lately, which is really quite great. What a wonderful set of systems that game is. My only meh feeling about it is that you don't get a ton of player interaction, and it tends to close players off in their own little worlds.
    Last edited by Tokaji; 03-16-2017 at 01:37 PM.