Thread: Inexpensive way to ship international?

Your Friend Who Likes To Play timeerkat's Avatar

Inexpensive way to ship international?

I posted up my friend's pins on Facebook for sale, and someone from the UK wants to purchase some. She says that she ordered a few pins lately from other people in California and that shipping was only $6. But when I put in the info on the USPS website I keep getting $13.50. (And when I go in person to the post office I'm always charged around $12-$14). Does anyone know how one gets $6 shipping to the UK? (Or France, as I have another person from there wanting pins.)

Many thanks to SiuJerkJai for the amazing signature images! <3

my wants | my trades

Hi Tessa, I have noticed that the sticker says "First Class International Mail", if that helps. I think it is calculated with stamps.com. For a few pins it is around $5. It comes with tracking too!
    However I have heard that it depends on how thick the enveloppe & the pins are, for a box or very thick pin for example that wouldn't be possible as it should be a pretty flat enveloppe.

Yep. It's the flat envelope thing. Whenever I've asked people how they get such cheap international shipping, the answer always seems to involve fudging the definition of a flat envelope. A padded LBE is not a flat envelope by post office standards. Saying it is on an online postage site carries its own risks, in my opinion.
    Last edited by SiuJerkJai; 03-15-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Agree with Kim and the others. Sis tells me they fudge it and ship it as a large envelope. Sis uses my PayPal to ship and, unless they updated it, for international shipping, there was no option to ship a package, only a large envelope for first class mail.

Your Friend Who Likes To Play timeerkat's Avatar
    Ah, ok, got it. Looking it up online, it seems as if the thickest they allow for a "large envelope" is 3/4", and a bubble mailer containing pins wrapped in bubble wrap are thicker than an inch.

I'll just let her know I'm not comfortable fudging it, and give her the option of passing on the pins or paying the package shipping price.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Many thanks to SiuJerkJai for the amazing signature images! <3

my wants | my trades

Jessie the Kitty Lover ♥ scarsiandam's Avatar
    I just recently learned how to do it in Paypal! I know they recently updated their international shipping because it wasn't always this easy. If its not a sale, and is a trade for instance, I have the receiver send me $1 as goods so i can print the label. You select "First Class International" and then you select package/thick envelope and imput the customs form and weight. I shipped a couple things to Europe and it was only about 4-6 dollars per pin. Hope this helps.

♥♥ Always looking for Lion King, Frozen, Si & Am, Lucifer, Aristocats, Maleficent. ♥♥
    Please PM me if you have any for trade or sale!
    PinPics: Scarsiandam | DisneyPinPlace: Scar

DisneyPinForum Veteran shooting4ownhand's Avatar
    If you fudge it through the post offices website, you can usually get it between $4-8. It won't be fast shipping but you'll get tracking. You just have to say its in an envelope. If you are shipping with a bubble mailer, you'll be fine. I've never had any issue shipping international by doing that.
    ~Lisa
    Collections: Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
    PinPics ID: shooting4ownhand
    Walt Disney World 5/16-22

I just mailed a trade to Australia yesterday ,it had 2 pins in it ...and it cost 13.75 ,but if anyone knows me ,I wrap my pins like Fort Knox .. Judy

SPINDEL CELL MELANOMA SKIN CANCER SURVIVOR

Tiggermickey on pinpics
    Fielder of the nuttiest requests ever
    queen of wrap!!

DisneyPinForum Veteran mickeymousje's Avatar
    I receive pins from the US a lot and most people charge me $6 and ship through paypal as a large envelope. Never had any trouble receiving and the customs number is trackable too. I usually get my pins within a week to 10 days, 14 days max!

DisneyPinForum Member
    I've shipped to the U.K. Many times and Australia and it's always been around $12-14 for 5-10 pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisneyPinForum Veteran Kiragigi's Avatar
    yes-- via paypal! they bury the link on their site so every time I need to ship I click this link:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Use-P...3242448/g.html

paypal.com/shipnow

But again, unless you pick "large envelope", you won't get it for $5-6. Package prices are pretty high for Europe

California Adventure collector
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggermickey View Post
    I just mailed a trade to Australia yesterday ,it had 2 pins in it ...and it cost 13.75 ,but if anyone knows me ,I wrap my pins like Fort Knox .. Judy

It wasn't any cheaper on my end either.

that wrapping sure was impressive though
    Last edited by Rob844; 03-26-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Oh no Rob ,I am for sure it was high ,I was just pointing out I sent one ...imam sure mine will be here soon,my mail runs slow especially in Indiana ,it's horrible
    Judy

SPINDEL CELL MELANOMA SKIN CANCER SURVIVOR

Tiggermickey on pinpics
    Fielder of the nuttiest requests ever
    queen of wrap!!

California Adventure collector
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggermickey View Post
    Oh no Rob ,I am for sure it was high ,I was just pointing out I sent one ...imam sure mine will be here soon,my mail runs slow especially in Indiana ,it's horrible
    Judy

years back it used to be a lot cheaper to ship USA to Aus than Aus to USA but now the prices are pretty much the same.

Hope you receive your pins soon!
    rob

My dad has a contract station for the post office. You canNOT get cheap international shipping unless it fits through the "first class flat envelope" thing...and if the envelope is lumpy, it has to go as a parcel. Try putting a thin piece of cardboard in with the pin(s) in the bubble envelope. And try spreading the pins, or whatever the items are, out in the envelope so they feel flatter when you hold the envelope. Anything to make it feel "flat" to the touch.
    ​Thank you for my awesome signature gif, Kritter!
    Thank you for #107651, docfish2u!