Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: 4/07/2017 DPF "State of the Forum" Address and (Possibility of) DPF 2.0

  1. #51
    DisneyPinForum Veteran Story's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarAng1 View Post
    "Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese."

    -Luis Bunuel


    I don't think age should really be a reason for someone to be a moderator lol. However, I do agree that moderators should have a bit of DPF membership time under their belt.





    Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
    agreed- in fact I can speak from personal observance that older mods sometimes let their personal feelings get in the way just as much if not more than the youngin mods that were learning the ropes

    in all seriousness, moderating has nothing to do with age or even experience- i think it comes down to having the time and energy to be present consistently on the forum to handle janitorial work that no one sees, and having a willingness to take direction. The responsibly lies more on the forum team making sure they are trained so that the forum doesn't experience any visible climate changes in conversation enjoyment. And I'm sure the admins will do well as they have been with any necessary additions to the team.

  2. #52
    Judge of the Dark Court starry_solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,098
    I am working on moving old zap threads into the "completed" section of the forum. I finally discovered where the "select all" button is, woo hoo!

    And also working with Cicada on having a "completed pin discussion" section of the forum as well so we can move a lot of the old threads.

    I am sure Cicada will take all matters into consideration
    Get cash back on your everyday online purchases. Click here for details!

    Interested in getting a $200 Disney Gift Card after spending $500 in 3 months? Contact me via PM!





  3. #53
    DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    1,630
    Happy Easter!

    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said except you all have been doing a great job with the forum.

    I am very happy the forum is free and would be happy to contribute pins to a donation effort (or other Disney items).
    Thank you to Kritter for fixing my beautiful signature!






  4. #54
    Administrator Cicada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by bookhugger View Post
    Happy Easter!

    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said except you all have been doing a great job with the forum.

    I am very happy the forum is free and would be happy to contribute pins to a donation effort (or other Disney items).
    The forum will always be free to join/read/post. Forum support/donations will simply be to keep the forum running smoothly with regular updates and hosting costs. Just trying to figure out the way that's most amendable to the members here, and least impactful to the community.

    during the transition, it may be down for some time, as I'll have to set aside a weekend to do the upgrade(s) once I can figure out a way to at least get the initial $600 or so together to purchase the new forum software and get it set up. From there, it'll be another $250-500 or so for some add-on features (which require purchasing a license from whoever wrote the add-on), and then from there it's mostly hosting costs to the tune of about $3000/year.

  5. #55
    DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    1,630
    Ok. So maybe we should start a donation effort to get $1100?
    Thank you to Kritter for fixing my beautiful signature!






  6. #56
    DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,313
    For the subscription option, I think having that as a way to support the site would be a great idea. Personally I would prefer if any subscription option would not auto-renew. For example, let me buy a one month subscription, then at the end of the subscription, ask me if I want to renew for another month (or whatever the options may be - 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? Lifetime subscription?) or just let it expire.

    As for what perks I'd like...really all that comes to mind is increased mailbox space.

    Matty mentioned about private messaging and how following conversations is difficult, I agree and am pleased to hear newer software would solve this. Does the newer forum software allow for 'pinging' users? Like on Facebook where you '@' someone's name? That's something I might like to see but am unsure if it could be implemented - of course, giving folks the option to turn off notifications from pinging would then be a must.

    A donate option for those who don't like subscriptions would be another excellent idea, probably via PayPal. Other ways to donate could be the 'pin-drives' and such but I've never participated in any 'drive' so not sure how they work.

  7. #57
    Administrator Cicada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomScarf View Post
    For the subscription option, I think having that as a way to support the site would be a great idea. Personally I would prefer if any subscription option would not auto-renew. For example, let me buy a one month subscription, then at the end of the subscription, ask me if I want to renew for another month (or whatever the options may be - 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? Lifetime subscription?) or just let it expire.

    As for what perks I'd like...really all that comes to mind is increased mailbox space.

    Matty mentioned about private messaging and how following conversations is difficult, I agree and am pleased to hear newer software would solve this. Does the newer forum software allow for 'pinging' users? Like on Facebook where you '@' someone's name? That's something I might like to see but am unsure if it could be implemented - of course, giving folks the option to turn off notifications from pinging would then be a must.

    A donate option for those who don't like subscriptions would be another excellent idea, probably via PayPal. Other ways to donate could be the 'pin-drives' and such but I've never participated in any 'drive' so not sure how they work.
    Yes, mentions (@) are supported in the new software I'm looking at for the forum.

    It seems everyone is amenable to donations, so I'll likely setup a donate link/button for paypal soon, at least, as bookhugger mentioned, to cover the initial cost of switching over to new forum software.

  8. #58
    DisneyPinForum Veteran Damiens pins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Wight uk
    Posts
    2,170
    I would like to help but I don't have PayPal so would have to just donate pins that's the only way I can help I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't have PayPal that's on here that would like to help

  9. #59
    DisneyPinForum Veteran Booger1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,592
    First of all, I want to thank you for all of the time, effort, and money you have put into this site so we may partake! I really enjoy it and am happy to have the privilege of using it.

    I would be willing to donate in any of the ways mentioned (membership fee, pins, donation). Perhaps taking a survey of preferences would help in the decision making? Also, maybe a "store" link could be added to sell or auction merchandise to raise funds (that is purchased or donated - we have many talented artists on here who produce beautiful drawings, crafts, etc... if they are unable to donate cash or pins, they may wish to contribute in this way), or every time a certain donation goal amount is achieved some type of bonus is awarded (free raffle for all who contributed), or have a day (or days) where people could throw out a donation challenge (i.e. I throw out a $50 challenge and everybody who donates to match it is entered into my pin raffle).

    I don't believe I have anything to add as far as different things I'd like to see as I believe they have been covered already. The only problem I have is with posting pictures. Apparently I'm not computer literate enough to nail this process down, so anything that can be done to make it easier would be appreciated

  10. #60
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Neverland!
    Posts
    5,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
    Yes, mentions (@) are supported in the new software I'm looking at for the forum.

    It seems everyone is amenable to donations, so I'll likely setup a donate link/button for paypal soon, at least, as bookhugger mentioned, to cover the initial cost of switching over to new forum software.
    I seem to remember that, centuries ago, Dizpins would do an annual fundraising drive to collect the necessary costs for operating the site. I don't recall if these fundraising efforts were a joint venture with PinPics, but I do know that the cost of running both sites was extremely expensive. I don't know how much money the annual fundraisers generated, but apparently it was enough to keep Dizpins running; this might be something we can try here.

    Maybe try posting a poll to see preferred means of generating donations? See how many people would prefer outright contributing money vs donating items to sell on eBay, etc?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •