Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: D23 Expo 2017

  1. #1
    DisneyPinForum Newbie yoshikitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    D23 Expo 2017

    This will be my first time going to D23 expo and I am not sure what to expect.
    So here are a few of my questions:

    1. How long are the lines to wait for MOG or dreamshop?
    2. Is it worth it to go as a general admission?

    Any other suggestions or tips are welcomed too
    "ALOHA!"

  2. #2
    DisneyPinForum Veteran lynn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    796
    There are lines for everything, even to just get into the building. Get there VERY early before opening. even with gold membership, it took us a couple hours to get through the line to get in. The line situation was a complete zoo. I think we got there about 30 minutes before opening the first day. Second day we got there earlier (I don't recall exactly what time and were close to the front).

    Thanks David (speedwaystar1) for the beautiful signature!

  3. #3
    Cheshirefied Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,171
    It can take a few hours in line to actually get inside the building. Last time the MOG line averaged 2-3hrs long by itself.

  4. #4
    DisneyPinForum Veteran tinkerbelle1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Liner Country
    Posts
    8,512
    What does MOG stand for?

  5. #5
    DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle1956 View Post
    What does MOG stand for?
    I'm assuming Mickey's Of Glendale but I'm no park expert (having never been) so anyone else feel free to correct me. :P

  6. #6
    DisneyPinForum Veteran speedwaystar1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Exeter , Devon
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomScarf View Post
    I'm assuming Mickey's Of Glendale but I'm no park expert (having never been) so anyone else feel free to correct me. :P
    No , you're correct

  7. #7
    DisneyPinForum Veteran tinkerbelle1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Liner Country
    Posts
    8,512
    Ahhhh, that makes sense! Thank You

  8. #8
    lunapins on Instagram! katelouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Magic Kingdom, Main St West
    Posts
    1,089
    The MOG line was crazy last year, you had to wait in line to get to the store entrance and that took about an hour and then if you wanted to buy pins they put you in ANOTHER line as the pins were cordoned off inside the store. The second line took about another hour and a half to get through as they would only let a few people in at a time.
    And you couldn't just hop in the pin line either, you had to line up in the store line first then be moved to the pin line.

    The first day I waited overnight to get into the Disney Store for the Designer dolls and pins but everyone got shuffled about, by the time we got into the convention centre a lot of lines had been lost and there was a huge rush and push to get to the Disney Store line. That took so long that I don't think I'd do it again unless it was something I really wanted/needed.
    <img src=http://disneypinforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12281&dateline=1378153799 border=0 alt= />



  9. #9
    DisneyPinForum Newbie yoshikitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn99 View Post
    There are lines for everything, even to just get into the building. Get there VERY early before opening. even with gold membership, it took us a couple hours to get through the line to get in. The line situation was a complete zoo. I think we got there about 30 minutes before opening the first day. Second day we got there earlier (I don't recall exactly what time and were close to the front).
    Do you happen to know which line was worse? Disney store or MOG?
    "ALOHA!"

  10. #10
    The PTD Guru Pin-A-Colada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,585
    Disney Store is much longer wait time

  11. #11
    Judge of the Dark Court starry_solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,205
    In 2015, people started lining up the night before (each night) for the Disney Store.
    Get cash back on your everyday online purchases. Click here for details!

    Interested in getting a $200 Disney Gift Card after spending $500 in 3 months? Contact me via PM!





  12. #12
    The PTD Guru Pin-A-Colada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by starry_solo View Post
    In 2015, people started lining up the night before (each night) for the Disney Store.
    I just might be doing that this year, just need a CM to help me get tix.

  13. #13
    Judge of the Dark Court starry_solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin-A-Colada View Post
    I just might be doing that this year, just need a CM to help me get tix.
    They haven't been released to CMs yet, last I heard.
    Get cash back on your everyday online purchases. Click here for details!

    Interested in getting a $200 Disney Gift Card after spending $500 in 3 months? Contact me via PM!





  14. #14
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Neverland!
    Posts
    5,735
    While trying not to be too much of a downer (I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't asked), I haven't been to D23 since 2011 and I have no plans of going in the foreseeable future for the reasons about which you are enquiring. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to queue up overnight only to spend the better part of the day queueing to get into stores to purchase merchandise that has been picked over by those lucky enough to hold a Sorcerer ticket. When I add up the time I would spend waiting to get into the convention, the cost of the ticket, cost of the hotel (there is no way one can commute, it's too exhausting), food, etc, and the cost of the items themselves and factor in the likelihood of actually being able to buy them, I think it's a much less stressful, tiring, and cheaper to just buy what I want on the secondary market and see whatever panels I would want when they are posted online (it isn't like I would be able to see the panels AND shop, the way the convention is now set up).

  15. #15
    Future King of DPF AvatarAng1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Disneyland CA
    Posts
    2,530
    Quote Originally Posted by dancecats View Post
    While trying not to be too much of a downer (I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't asked), I haven't been to D23 since 2011 and I have no plans of going in the foreseeable future for the reasons about which you are enquiring. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to queue up overnight only to spend the better part of the day queueing to get into stores to purchase merchandise that has been picked over by those lucky enough to hold a Sorcerer ticket. When I add up the time I would spend waiting to get into the convention, the cost of the ticket, cost of the hotel (there is no way one can commute, it's too exhausting), food, etc, and the cost of the items themselves and factor in the likelihood of actually being able to buy them, I think it's a much less stressful, tiring, and cheaper to just buy what I want on the secondary market and see whatever panels I would want when they are posted online (it isn't like I would be able to see the panels AND shop, the way the convention is now set up).
    Note to self: Don't go to D23.

    I can feel the hatred for D23 lines in this post. I can FEEL it. XD

    Thank you Speedwaystar1 for my signature!

  16. #16
    lunapins on Instagram! katelouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Magic Kingdom, Main St West
    Posts
    1,089
    The lines are bad but I didn't hate it XD there was enough stuff going on that you didn't have to wait in line for and there was a ton of free stuff to try and get from all the different booths.
    I saw the Broadway panel and that was aaaaaamazing, I also walked straight into the Disney Parks panel without waiting.
    I'm going again this year and it definitely helps having one year under my belt, I know what to expect now and where to prioritise my time.

    The atmosphere is really cool and a lot of fun too
    <img src=http://disneypinforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12281&dateline=1378153799 border=0 alt= />



  17. #17
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Neverland!
    Posts
    5,735
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarAng1 View Post
    Note to self: Don't go to D23.

    I can feel the hatred for D23 lines in this post. I can FEEL it. XD
    Why do I have a feeling you were waiting for an excuse to use that .gif/meme?

    But in all seriousness, it isn't that I hate queueing for the event. In fact, if you have a group of people with you and enough caffeinated beverages to fill the Grand Canyon, it really can be a lot of fun (particularly when you get to the slap-happy point of exhausted). I used to do it ALL THE TIME. I went to every single pin release, every single convention, up until about 5-6 years ago when I realized, for me, the investment of queueing up didn't equal the return and I was happier simply either trading for what I wanted or buying it on the secondary market.

    I went to D23 for the inaugural year in 2009, queued up for everything starting at zero dark thirty, and had an amazing time. If Disney were to clone the structure of that first convention, I would go every time and not think twice, it was so perfect! I went again in 2011 with the Premier ticket (discontinued in 2011) and I was so disappointed by my experience (I did not believe I got anywhere close in value to what I had paid), I decided it was not worth it to go again. And so far, what I have read of subsequent events, nothing has changed my mind. Please remember that this is my own opinion based on my experiences. Clearly realize that I must be in the minority otherwise the event would not sell out the way it does year after year. I would encourage you to go at least once, for one day, to make up your own mind; you might feel differently.

  18. #18
    DisneyPinForum Veteran erikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656
    What are people's guesses on if there will be a Designer set this year?

  19. #19
    lunapins on Instagram! katelouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Magic Kingdom, Main St West
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by erikr View Post
    What are people's guesses on if there will be a Designer set this year?
    IF they do a set, I would guess Designer Wedding Princesses.
    But I really have no clue, if they do anything at all it'll be a surprise.
    <img src=http://disneypinforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12281&dateline=1378153799 border=0 alt= />



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •