Thread: DSSH October 8, 2017 Villains Pin Event at the Roosevelt Hotel - What did you get?

Judge of the Dark Court starry_solo's Avatar

DSSH October 8, 2017 Villains Pin Event at the Roosevelt Hotel - What did you get?

So, here's our thread to post our experiences for the DSSH October 8, 2017 Villains Pin Event at the Roosevelt Hotel. I will start first.

See post #3

DSSH October 8, 2017 Villains Pin Event at the Roosevelt HotelDSSH October 8, 2017 Villains Pin Event at the Roosevelt Hotel
    Last edited by starry_solo; 10-08-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    Get cash back on your everyday online purchases. Click here for details!

Interested in getting a $200 Disney Gift Card after spending $500 in 3 months? Contact me via PM!

EVERYPONY calm the buck down! Romancing_Train's Avatar
    *waits*

I left the house at about 9:15 a.m. Less than a mile away, I turned back because my "low tire pressure" warning light turned on. UGH. I called Dad who came out to check the tire pressure on all four tires and the spare in the trunk and realized, IT WAS THE SPARE. Double UGH.

So, off I went again (at about 9:30 a.m.) The Google traffic directions told me I'd arrive in one hour. I was like, yeah, right. It took almost an hour and a half and I arrived at valet parking at about 10:55 a.m. I called home to let them know I had safely arrived then wandered to try to find the main lobby / entrance at Hollywood Boulevard. I found it, texted DPF'er Sami (we were meeting up for a trade) and got in line to wait to register for the event. Sami didn't get into the event but waited with me.

Eventually, after about 30-40 minutes, I was able to get the pins (3 sets of dark tales, 3 color marquees, 1 diecast marquee, 1 event pin), event credentials (I was purple #4 with raffle #82), 2 PTD vouchers, the Madame Taussad's year long pass (apparently good for unlimited admissions, rather than just being a one-day ticket good for one year), and the Coco Movie ticket. Yup, my friend was lucky to get a THIRD set of dark tales....and guess what? He finally told me that he would sell me a set at cost! I was able to help him sell the color marquees, diecast marquee, and event pin, which paid for the event, so this is my "reward." Hooray!!!!

Anyhow, met up with Katrina (sockgnome) inside DSSH where she was perusing through people's books. Eventually, Sami, sockgnome and I headed inside the Roosevelt Hotel and met up with DPF'er Tds and chatted inside the cool lobby. We exited at 12:30 p.m. to start lining up outside the hotel to get back inside (yeah, I know, lol). They had two lines, those who had already gotten their event credentials and those who were waiting to get theirs. Tessa (timeerkat), Sarah (not on DPF) and Anne (akbecker26) joined us and we bid Sami adieu. I also met up with DPF'er Polaris (he was waiting in the line to get his credentials) and picked up mu Mulan and Li Shang D23 doll that I bought months ago. Eventually we got inside at about 1 p.m. and our DPf party of six was led to table 8.

The food: It was fine. For those without dietary restrictions, we had a salad (no picture), chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans for the entree (see picture) and key lime pie for dessert. For those with dietary restrictions, their salad was just lettuce, their entree was some weird noodle dish, and their dessert was fruit.

After the meal concluded, DSSH had a pin game similar to WDW's "What's in your pin bag?" Each table chose a team captain (I was Table 8's captain) and we all got out pins, hoping to get what was called. Unfortunately, Table 8 did not win the prize (I don't know what the prize was) but as team captain, I got to take home the lovely centerpiece!

Afterwards, it was time to go to the trade boards. They said the first # at the board would be #1 so I went from the PTD line (where I was like #12) to the purple trade board. I pulled the WIR AP BT! Hooray!

Here's what I pulled. I went 8 times through the boards and two times to the PTD lines (didn't get any great PTDs so those aren't pictured).

I met up with Tds (Darin) after the first run through of the boards with guests #1-30 (there were five color coded boards, 30 people per board). He pulled the LATT marquee pin. Afterwards, we went to the PTD for PTD line and then just went to the other lines together. Here are his pulls.

I went first and told him what I thought the second best pin on the board was. When I pulled the surprise Thumper stained glass pin, he got the Dr. Facilier stained glass (I told him where to find the pin) Where I pulled the Maleficent ornament pin, he pulled the Ursula ornament pin. Where I pulled the Robin Hood easter egg train pin, he pulled the Rabbit easter egg train pin. Where I pulled the Stormtrooper head, he pulled Monsieur D'arque PTD (I told him where it was since that was the only other great pin on the board).

Lines to the boards were cut off at 4:45 p.m. and then we all sat down for the raffle. I did not win anything :P But then they announced what the surprise release for event attendees was - the armored Baymax PTD! We couldn't get it until 6 p.m., though. But I decided to wait rather than coming back at the end of the week, so I used one PTD voucher for it and gave my other voucher to Tessa (for credit for a PTD I might win in the future). We collected our thank you gifts (a poster, a villains mystery mini Vinyl figure, and an Ursula Dorbz), then went up to the private pin event held by FB user Patrick Dominguez.

I put my bags and doll into the trunk (well, asked the valet to do so) and then headed with DPF'er Connies_hobby to trade my voucher in for Armored Baymax. I was so glad that they allowed us to get it tonight!

Eventually, we were done (probably shortly after 7 pm) and I headed home after collecting my centerpiece from the private pin event (I couldn't carry it with me to the car the first time when I had my bags stuck in the trunk).

And, an hour and a half later (well a bit longer) and I got home. Hooray!

Note to self: don't forget to remind Tessa to ship out the cuties!
    Last edited by starry_solo; 10-09-2017 at 02:12 AM.

Interested in getting a $200 Disney Gift Card after spending $500 in 3 months? Contact me via PM!

I heard that some people pulled a Mickey Masterpiece PTD, Judy Hopps PTD, Cinderella PTD, Dopey PTD, and a few others on the PTD for PTD line.

Oh, I forgot, the PTD for PTD line replaced the LE for LE line. It was set up the same way that DSSH had it set up at the BATB event. So two sets of four or five colored and covered platters, spin the wheel and go left or right (depending on which was available) and five seconds to pick.

For raffles, DPF users this_and_that (Nan), Connie's_Hobby (Connie) and Polaris (Mike) were three of the lucky winners. Congrats!

And of course, the previews. Pictures are already up on the 2017 release thread. The semi-good news is that the Star Wars The Last Jedi release is online on December 11, 2017. I guess that's another day I will be late for work. Maybe I will have success at an online release (just want the marquees).

But here are pix again (courtesy of Patrick Dominguez on FB):

I did wander over to the preview boards after they closed all the lines.
    Last edited by starry_solo; 10-09-2017 at 01:58 AM.

What one of our table-mates (not on DPF) pulled:

and

EVERYPONY calm the buck down! Romancing_Train's Avatar
    So glad you guys had a good time! I'm sorry about your car troubles and hope the event made up for it though!

B for Belle or B for bacon? watzshakinbacon's Avatar
    I feel like the boards at DSSH have WAYYYYYY better pins than at LIAA! wth!!

How can you choose a PTD in 5 seconds?? That seems super short. Were there only like 10 to choose from?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PinPics: watzshakinbacon (My Wants | My Traders)
    ISO: Belle, Maleficent, Dumbo, Wall-E, and Mickey/Minnie couple!
    Grail: #40542 Belle & Beast Masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by watzshakinbacon View Post
    I feel like the boards at DSSH have WAYYYYYY better pins than at LIAA! wth!!

How can you choose a PTD in 5 seconds?? That seems super short. Were there only like 10 to choose from?
    6-8 depending on size

So, what are my general thoughts for the event?

1. If I ever go again to an event in Hollywood (unlikely but never say never), I'll only bring traders for the board. It was too much lugging around 2 bags (one trading bag, one holding my doll).

2. I'm slowly running out of traders for the boards - eek!

3. It's always good to go with one's sister. I really missed having her with me at the boards!

Whoa, great pulls! Glad you had a good time and thanks for the very thorough report with pictures. Love reading these
    I bet everyone will be going bonkers for those cats pins!!

DisneyPinForum Veteran akbecker246's Avatar
    I had a wonderful time. Really enjoyed meeting fellow DPF members. I chatted and traded with TDS and Sockgnome during the lunch. Thanks for the trades!

Traded for some nice pins with the boards and bonus was several were AP pins I collect. Very exciting!

There were several 'regret' moments for me. I could have picked this pin:
    Pin# 101002
    DSSH - Pin Trader's Delight - Angel - GWP

but did not... saw it only after they were pulling another PTD I selected off the PTD board. (5 seconds is not much time.)

I also had to select between this pin and another star wars pin... and I wish now I had selected this pin (such quick decisions we have to make):
    Pin# 112270
    DSSH - Star Wars: The Force Awakens - BB-8 3D Molded

Was very exhausted by the end of the evening. And even in the middle was talking rubbish (as Timeerkat can attest), I referred to Inside Out as In and Out... so probably was tired in the middle too, but on an adrenalin high. Finally, came close to missing my flight out of Burbank (probably would have been better to fly out of LAX based on the awful traffic around Hollywood.)

While I agree with Starry_Solo about lugging the pin bags... (pain), it is still worth it (for me) to bring my traders... since I do not have many opportunities to trade (living in New Mexico). Must take full advantage of these events. So will continue to drag the pins out for future events.

Were you able to cross any grails off your list Anne?

Don't forget you pulled that great Disgust PTD!

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    I had an incredible time! It was wonderful getting to sit and talk with Li, Tessa, Anne, and TDS (whose name, I'm sorry to say, has escaped me *facepalm*). The boards were fun!
    This is what I pulled at the boards (I also pulled a Dug in cone of shame, but traded him at the event):

I was mostly happy with my pulls, but when I got home I took a look at all of the pins and realized that the stained glass in the Big Hero 6 pin is cracked, which was incredibly disappointing. I don't know if it's worthless, or if someone might want it.

This is what I pulled at the PTD boards:

Which I was also really happy with! Kanga and Roo was a keeper for me, and I got some good traders. But the best part of the day (for my pin collection, at least), was the after-party! Patrick Dominguez had rented a conference room at the hotel, complete with an open bar and appetizers, for people to sit and trade. Some people came who hadn't gotten tickets to the event, and I made some INCREDIBLE trades!!! I knocked FOUR GRAILS off of my list!!!

These are all the pins that I got yesterday, both at the event and afterwards, that are keepers for me:

The Sprite! The Gomes! The Figaro! The Briar Rose! I was completely floored by being able to get all of these in the SAME NIGHT!

All in all, the event was incredible- fun memories, good food, fantastic pins.

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Sounds like a great event!
    Thank you to Kritter for fixing my beautiful signature!

Quote Originally Posted by starry_solo View Post
    Were you able to cross any grails off your list Anne?

Don't forget you pulled that great Disgust PTD!

Just one grail crossed off... the Dark Tales Maleficent. I probably need to find easier grails, but I guess that is why they are grails. Haha.

I traded Disgust to Socknome for this pin:
    Pin# 74569
    DisneyStore.com - Jumbo Santa's Helper Series - Cheshire

Maybe not quite a grail, but I absolutely love this pin!

DisneyPinForum Veteran this_and_that's Avatar
    I had a great time at the DSSH event.

I have been fortunate enough to get tickets for all of them and this latest one is by far my favorite, obviously because the theme reflects my primary collection.

I would love to see this theme, and location, be used for future DSSH Winter events.

I think what I just said bears repeating: I would love to see this theme and location be used for future the DSSH Winter events.

As had become my own tradition at these events, I...
    1) only stood in line for the first board because of the line position number we were given on our event credential.
    2) spent most the time trading with other event guests, mostly completing several Trades that had been either definitely confirmed in advance or that had just had their negotiations started for in advance.
    3) started Negotiations for future trades with other locals that will be completed at some still to be determine future date, I was likely at some future DSSH release.

One of my pre-confirmed trades had been with Anne. Thank you again for this trade.

I gave Tessa my Coco ticket, and Li my wax museum ticket.

I only regret is that I didn't get a chance to meet some of the out of town members of this forum.

And surprisingly I won one of the raffles, a huge basket of delicious chocolates plus a Syndrome PTD which I did not have and which I will likely keep for my small random The Incredibles collection.

I also was fortunate to be invited to Patrick's PTE that was held upstairs on the mezzanine immediately following the DSSH event. I had a marvelous time there also. Books upon books books full of totally awesome pins.

No offense meant by when I say next so I hope none is taken. I am a very private person, one of the reasons why I just don't "do Facebook", which is why I never post pictures of my haul from these PTEs. Thanks advance for respecting my position on this matter even though it may differ from your own.

Quote Originally Posted by this_and_that View Post

I would love to see this theme, and location, be used for future DSSH Winter events.

I think what I just said bears repeating: I would love to see this theme and location be used for future the DSSH Winter events.

One of my pre-confirmed trades had been with Anne. Thank you again for this trade.

And surprisingly I won one of the raffles, a huge basket of delicious chocolates plus a Syndrome PTD which I did not have and which I will likely keep for my small random The Incredibles collection.

No offense meant by when I say next so I hope none is taken. I am a very private person, one of the reasons why I just don't "do Facebook", which is why I never post pictures of my haul from these PTEs. Thanks advance for respecting my position on this matter even though it may differ from your own.
    I agree about the location... it was nice to be right down there with the DSSH store and pick up PTD right after the event. Although, I did like the ease of access to the Nixon library though (getting there was easy and so was parking.) I guess I find +/-with any location...

I love the sorcerer mickey pin which was the pin I received in my trade with This and That. Thank you also for the trade.

Regarding anyone and their Coco tickets... will be in SoCal again for Thanksgiving (as is tradition - to spend it with my family who live in the area.) If anyone has a Coco ticket which will go unused please let me know. Planning to see Coco at the El Cap with the family that weekend.

Congrats on the raffle prize win This and That.

No offense taken on my part... I am kinda with you on the privacy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by this_and_that View Post

I have been fortunate enough to get tickets for all of them and this latest one is by far my favorite, obviously because the theme reflects my primary collection.

As had become my own tradition at these events, I...
    1) only stood in line for the first board because of the line position number we were given on our event credential.
    2) spent most the time trading with other event guests, mostly completing several Trades that had been either definitely confirmed in advance or that had just had their negotiations started for in advance.
    3) started Negotiations for future trades with other locals that will be completed at some still to be determine future date, I was likely at some future DSSH release.

I only regret is that I didn't get a chance to meet some of the out of town members of this forum.

I also was fortunate to be invited to Patrick's PTE that was held upstairs on the mezzanine immediately following the DSSH event. I had a marvelous time there also. Books upon books books full of totally awesome pins.

So sorry we weren't able to trade. I kept on going to the trading boards. But hopefully you will be back for the November pin trading event in Anaheim?

Your Friend Who Likes To Play timeerkat's Avatar
    I had a great time! I pretty much stuck exclusively to the trading board and PTD lines, but it was very nice to have lunch with some of my fellow DPFers and my friend Sarah (not on DPF, but I see her at DSF releases).

My badge had yellow number 7, so I was pretty close to the front of the yellow line for the first round, and since the PTD line was already several dozen people long at that point, I figured I'd try my luck at the yellow board first. I mean, they couldn't have put ALL of their PTDs in the PTD game, right?

Here are my pulls from the day, both from trade boards and the PTD game. My PTD game pulls are along the bottom (I also got Cinderella's Birds PTD from the PTD game but forgot to grab it out of my trade book for this photo) and my board pulls are the group on top. None are AP, but I'm still pretty happy.

Yep, Winter Belle PTD is the first thing I pulled from a board. :O Which made me REALLY happy with the decision I made to stay in my yellow line! The Beauty and the Beast marquee (LE150 from the previous trade event) was from a board that refreshed when there were only about four or five people in front of me. The Simba pin was a trade I made with Anne for a Stormtrooper helmet pin I had pulled off a board earlier in the day.

And wow! I thought 30 seconds was a short time to browse things on the normal boards. Five seconds on the PTD game was crazy! But at least I'm familiar enough with PTDs where I could take most everything in and choose what I wanted right away.

I think DSF has started to notice what I collect. I don't think there has been an upcoming release preview yet that has as many things that I collect as this one. Joy PTD, Inside Out and Zootopia character blocks, Prince John and Scar cuties... I don't collect BH6 PTDs anymore but the Fred one looks badass, too!

After the official trade event, I went upstairs to the after-event trade event. I only managed to make one trade in the few hours I was up there, but I think it was worth it:

One Zootopia BT down, one to go! But at least for now I'm one pin closer to completist for Judy pins! One of the King Pins admin was walking around handing out buttons, so I got the Headless Horseman. On my way out, I looked at another King Pins admin's trade book, and mentioned that I missed out on the Simba button. He rooted around in his bag and pulled out the Simba button for me.
    (Image wildly out of date; stay tuned!)

Many thanks to SiuJerkJai for the amazing signature images! <3

my wants | my trades

http://i.picasion.com/pic82/82ae4c1b94a0cceede6ae67f414c9e33.gif

B for Belle or B for bacon? watzshakinbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timeerkat View Post
    I had a great time! I pretty much stuck exclusively to the trading board and PTD lines, but it was very nice to have lunch with some of my fellow DPFers and my friend Sarah (not on DPF, but I see her at DSF releases).

My badge had yellow number 7, so I was pretty close to the front of the yellow line for the first round, and since the PTD line was already several dozen people long at that point, I figured I'd try my luck at the yellow board first. I mean, they couldn't have put ALL of their PTDs in the PTD game, right?

Here are my pulls from the day, both from trade boards and the PTD game. My PTD game pulls are along the bottom (I also got Cinderella's Birds PTD from the PTD game but forgot to grab it out of my trade book for this photo) and my board pulls are the group on top. None are AP, but I'm still pretty happy.

Yep, Winter Belle PTD is the first thing I pulled from a board. :O Which made me REALLY happy with the decision I made to stay in my yellow line! The Beauty and the Beast marquee (LE150 from the previous trade event) was from a board that refreshed when there were only about four or five people in front of me. The Simba pin was a trade I made with Anne for a Stormtrooper helmet pin I had pulled off a board earlier in the day.

And wow! I thought 30 seconds was a short time to browse things on the normal boards. Five seconds on the PTD game was crazy! But at least I'm familiar enough with PTDs where I could take most everything in and choose what I wanted right away.

I think DSF has started to notice what I collect. I don't think there has been an upcoming release preview yet that has as many things that I collect as this one. Joy PTD, Inside Out and Zootopia character blocks, Prince John and Scar cuties... I don't collect BH6 PTDs anymore but the Fred one looks badass, too!

After the official trade event, I went upstairs to the after-event trade event. I only managed to make one trade in the few hours I was up there, but I think it was worth it:

One Zootopia BT down, one to go! But at least for now I'm one pin closer to completist for Judy pins! One of the King Pins admin was walking around handing out buttons, so I got the Headless Horseman. On my way out, I looked at another King Pins admin's trade book, and mentioned that I missed out on the Simba button. He rooted around in his bag and pulled out the Simba button for me.
    Woohoooo!! Congrats on getting that zootopia bt! One is better than none 😆 good luck finding a second. Also, I hope I can trade for winter belle PTD in the future 😮

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PinPics: watzshakinbacon (My Wants | My Traders)
    ISO: Belle, Maleficent, Dumbo, Wall-E, and Mickey/Minnie couple!
    Grail: #40542 Belle & Beast Masterpiece

Well, if you have a Zootopia BT for trade... *waggles eyebrows*

my wants | my trades

DisneyPinForum Veteran
    Just curious, did you know about the PTd for PTd trading before the event?
    I collect Aristocats, Robin Hood, Fox & the Hound, Cats, Olaf, Rapunzel and pins I like.

DisneyPinForum Veteran jazzytrumpet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by momin.ator View Post
    Just curious, did you know about the PTd for PTd trading before the event?
    I believe it was on the email that went out to event guests. I thought I read about it somewhere here on DPF

Yes. A few days before the event they sent out an email to attendees. A line in that email said there was going to be a PTD-specific board. It didn't say PTD for PTD, but it was assumed that was the case since the LE boards at the events are LE for LE.

my wants | my trades

DisneyPinForum Veteran this_and_that's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starry_solo View Post
    So sorry we weren't able to trade. I kept on going to the trading boards. But hopefully you will be back for the November pin trading event in Anaheim?
    Me too.

Thank you so much for that tax deductible receipt you so very kindly gave me for the wax museum ticket. When it comes to taxes, every little bit helps. 😊

I will just be going to one of the PTEs being held Anaheim next month: the 8-hour one being held on Saturday, November 18.