• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2014 Designer Dolls - Fairytale Collection Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Designer Dolls - Fairytale Collection Part II
I would love to see Elsa done in the overglamorized style of the Fairytale Designer collection...but I would want her sold solo...so I'd still be happy to see her done in a high fashion style too.

I definitely think that we will be getting Anna and Elsa in their designer form but not sure if it will be in 2014 or 2015.

Also I know that CMs have been told about the 2014 line being DFDC part 2 but what if they were told that to throw everyone off so that when they do release information of the next designer line it would surprise us. Dont forget Disney does like to release surprises as we found out with the LE Eric released this year, so they like to keep us on our feet by providing us with unexpected releases so I dunno I think that whilst we may be getting the DFDC part 2 line Disney is going to do something to keep us surprised.

I just find it hard to believe that Disney would be ok with people knowing what the next line will be well in advance. I agree I think the forerunner is definitely the DFDC part 2 line but I have a feeling that there may be something extra or unexpected to keep people looking forward to the next set rather than becoming complacent as we already know what to expect.

I think they should include frozen but not sell them together! And even though Anna is the only one with a romance, it's elsa everyone wants and Elsa sells better and I'm guessing Disney will find a way to include her. Anna might have more screen time but to me the whole film is about Elsa and she is a much better character.

I do wonder though if Disney had planned to do the original 10 then why release the most popular ones first and not make it more even?
To me Pocahontas and Mulan are not fairytales nor princess's so they should just skip them and put them with other characters like Meg,Esmerelda.
Kristoff and Anna would be a great fairytale designer set though. I wish they would try and get the "designer" look back for the next collection.

When I went to the store to get Belle/Beast the CM (I think the store manager) confirmed to me that they were continuing the DFDC line next year to complete the series. The only one I care about that is left and would get would be Aurora/Phillip. I was surprised that they didnt do Aurora and Cinderella the first one, so Im pretty positive that we will see them next year.

Id love to see Anna and Elsa since I missed out on their LE dolls but I think that might be a stretch.

Our DS CM also confirmed this to us as well. I am pretty sure we can expect some surprises along the way as they begin to release information. As for Aurora and Cinderella, I think they did not release them in the first wave because that would have been suicide for the next wave next fall. They could have alternated Belle for next year to keep one of the more popular princesses for the second wave, but with The Little Mermaid being released this year they were definitely going to include her in the first bunch of dolls. Ariel and Belle are 2 of the most popular princesses with Aurora and Cinderella right behind them, if they had released these 4 together in the first line up, next years dolls would have been less sought after. Some people have already shared that they are not as crazy for the second batch. While there will always be people like us collectors who will want them regardless because we collect the dolls some people have expressed that they are less enthusiastic about next years release because they are less appealing as a whole.
I can' wait to see what they do the remaining dolls, the ones I am looking forward to are Aurora and Cinderella and I am crossing my fingers they do something amazing with Pocahontas ♥ Can't wait. :)

Our DS CM also confirmed this to us as well. I am pretty sure we can expect some surprises along the way as they begin to release information. As for Aurora and Cinderella, I think they did not release them in the first wave because that would have been suicide for the next wave next fall. They could have alternated Belle for next year to keep one of the more popular princesses for the second wave, but with The Little Mermaid being released this year they were definitely going to include her in the first bunch of dolls. Ariel and Belle are 2 of the most popular princesses with Aurora and Cinderella right behind them, if they had released these 4 together in the first line up, next years dolls would have been less sought after. Some people have already shared that they are not as crazy for the second batch. While there will always be people like us collectors who will want them regardless because we collect the dolls some people have expressed that they are less enthusiastic about next years release because they are less appealing as a whole.
I can' wait to see what they do the remaining dolls, the ones I am looking forward to are Aurora and Cinderella and I am crossing my fingers they do something amazing with Pocahontas ♥ Can't wait. :)

I totally agree with you that the first half of the DFDC line was stacked up with heavy-hitters, making the second the second half seem unbalanced in terms of sales power. If you consider that this year's DFDC had: Rapunzel, Ariel, Belle, Snow White, and Jasmine -- all of whom make up the top five higher selling pins from the 2011 Designer Princess Collection, it almost seems too coincidental. Frankly, I think that either Rapunzel, Belle, or Ariel should have been reserved for the second-half as head-liners (but not all three!). Maybe not Rapunzel, unless she were swapped with either Cinderella or Aurora (it would also look like an unbalanced collection to have all of the blondes in the same group). Certainly one of the three heavy-hitters could have been replaced with Pocahontas or Mulan, who already do not receive enough love from Disney marketing.

But yes, if the DFDC line is continued, Aurora and Philip are at the top of my list, but of course I would want them all, as usual! :)

I think they did the heavy hitters first so that way it would be impossible for the set to tank. Now that they know the set is popular enough, they are banking on Aurora and Cinderella to help sell the set (as a set). No one is going to want to buy like 8 of the ten. So they are hoping the remaining ladies get bought up in the storm I think. Just my opinion. :)
I for one will only be buying Pocahontas from this oncoming set, unless they decide to for some stupid reason make Anna and Kristoff (I just think her and Elsa belong in another line). Depending on how Tiana and Mulan look I could potentially be interested in them as well, but they're just so expensive. This pin set will be a must though.

I don't know where else to post.

Designer Belle shirt is on Disney Store:

http://www.disneystore.com/belle-fashion-tee-for-women/mp/1344404/1000228/

They also have these designer looking mugs on the Disney Store UK site.

They are currently on sale too. I only really liked Aurora but since they are on sale decided to get Belle as well. Not sure about the villains though, they dont appeal to me as much...

If they do make the "Part 2" next year, then I am looking forward to seeing Tiana and Naveen. I love them together and individually, so if they are done well, then they are in my must haves. <3 Part of me really does hope that they are doing "Part 2" next year because I'll be saving a whole lot of money just getting Tiana and Naveen...and Elsa if they through her in that batch too.
But then...another part of me wants to see them create something new. Like that Designer Heroines idea...I'd pretty much just endorse all my paychecks over to Disney.
Here's a wicked thought I just had. What if they decided to do another 2-pack set with the Lead and their Villain? They could be posed back to back, like two sides of a coin. When you think of it, you would have no story with out one or the other. Just a thought I had...and pretty much a sure fire way to get me to buy princess merch. They could call it "Good and Evil" or "Fashion takes Sides" or (my favorite) "Threads of Fate".

...a boy can dream, can't he? ;)

Since I am a big fan of the Disney villains... and we have already had a set of designer female villains, I would personally love to see a designer-style set of the MALE villains (Captain Hook, Jafar, Hades or Frolo, Scar etc etc, not sure who else they could do)

Thats I really good point, I didnt think about that. Totally makes sense to me now.

I don't know where else to post.

Designer Belle shirt is on Disney Store:

http://www.disneystore.com/belle-fashion-tee-for-women/mp/1344404/1000228/
I saw that this morning and totally LOVE it. I wish they did more of the princess tees for men. I dont think they would really sell well so I know they never will. Thank goodness for Red Bubble. I can get all kinds of princess tees from there. LOL

Since I am a big fan of the Disney villains... and we have already had a set of designer female villains, I would personally love to see a designer-style set of the MALE villains (Captain Hook, Jafar, Hades or Frolo, Scar etc etc, not sure who else they could do)
OMG. I said this awhile back on another thread. I NEED a Gaston doll in limited edition/designer style!

Thats I really good point, I didnt think about that. Totally makes sense to me now.

OMG. I said this awhile back on another thread. I NEED a Gaston doll in limited edition/designer style!

Yes! I love the villains, we need these male characters in the fancy designer style too! Best looking style of dolls in my opinion. I'd love a captain hook!

Dapper male villains would be awesome, but sadly seems like such a long-shot. :( The male villains all have different body types, so that would require something like a Designer line to really do any sort of justice to them, in the same way that was done for the Disney Parks Disney Villains Jafar doll in the early 2000s.

Dream Cast for a Designer male villains line for me would be:
-Hades
-Captain Hook
-Dr. Facilier
-Gaston
-Jafar

I think that Ratcliffe, Clayton, Shan Yu, Frollo, and any non-human Disney male villains would be either too creepy, too abstract, not salable, or all of the above.

I would totall get Hook and Gaston in a heart beat.

Its kind of sad but BatB is my favorite movie, equal with TLM, but I love Gaston more than the Beast. In my own messed up version she marries Gaston. LOL. I was super excited when they put in Gaston's tavern and had him as a meet and greet. I kind of lurve Gaston

So here is a thought about a Designer Pocahontas and John (insert last name here) set for next year: Steven Thompson, who designed the original designer line and also is a high up designer for Disney store products loves her. I believe he did some work animating the film and did a showcase Christmas ornament for both her and Mulan this year. Even though she is not a selling powerhouse, sometimes if the guy in charge likes the character they will make it into the line (think Master of the Universe Classics). A note about those ornaments though, my local DS has a TON of leftovers of both, and literally every other ornament has long sold out, they seem to have a strong core following, but maybe not a very large one(?), but if that following is 6000 worldwide (and it probably is and more ;) ) then we should see the less popular gals in the next Couple line, should they continue it.

I would DEFINITELY want Captain Hook, possibly Hades and Jafar too.

It would be a shame if they missed certain villains though, I do think they could do animal ones too, would be interesting. I really love Uncle Scar from the Lion King and Shere-Khan (cannot spell!) and Kaa from Jungle book, but they may be tricky.

I just love the villains ;) Always have done. Those above ones in a designer style, would be amazing.

I would totall get Hook and Gaston in a heart beat.

Its kind of sad but BatB is my favorite movie, equal with TLM, but I love Gaston more than the Beast. In my own messed up version she marries Gaston. LOL. I was super excited when they put in Gaston's tavern and had him as a meet and greet. I kind of lurve Gaston

Lol I think I know where you got that phrase! :p

So here is a thought about a Designer Pocahontas and John (insert last name here) set for next year: Steven Thompson, who designed the original designer line and also is a high up designer for Disney store products loves her. I believe he did some work animating the film and did a showcase Christmas ornament for both her and Mulan this year. Even though she is not a selling powerhouse, sometimes if the guy in charge likes the character they will make it into the line (think Master of the Universe Classics). A note about those ornaments though, my local DS has a TON of leftovers of both, and literally every other ornament has long sold out, they seem to have a strong core following, but maybe not a very large one(?), but if that following is 6000 worldwide (and it probably is and more ;) ) then we should see the less popular gals in the next Couple line, should they continue it.

Oh I do hope so! Characters like Pocahontas and Mulan need more merchandise exposure. I think it was a huge slap in the face with the 2011 Designer Princesses that they made the collection with three varying different edition sizes. That was just a very ridiculous decision. On the other hand, it clearly showed us what the executives thought of each princess in terms of sales power. For the DFDC Part II, I am kind of hoping that they do finish it off with at least the remaining 5 couples of the original ten princesses.

It would be a shame if they missed certain villains though, I do think they could do animal ones too, would be interesting. I really love Uncle Scar from the Lion King and Shere-Khan (cannot spell!) and Kaa from Jungle book, but they may be tricky.

I just love the villains ;) Always have done. Those above ones in a designer style, would be amazing.

Many of the animal villains do not wear clothes, so for them were you thinking that they should be receiving humanoid versions of themselves (like a male human with a tiger-striped skin tone for Shere Khan)? But what would they wear that would be Designer? That may be a bit too abstract to pull off and sell well. Animal villains like Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham on the other hand at least have costumes to work off of, but still seems like a long-shot, given their niche fan base and still abstract concept. It would be incredibly interesting to see what the Disney artists could come up with, but realistically I think they would just stick with the more popular human characters with recognizable costumes to work off of. Otherwise, they would look like Halloween Ken dolls trying to dress up as x-character.

Lol I think I know where you got that phrase! :p

Oh I do hope so! Characters like Pocahontas and Mulan need more merchandise exposure. I think it was a huge slap in the face with the 2011 Designer Princesses that they made the collection with three varying different edition sizes. That was just a very ridiculous decision. On the other hand, it clearly showed us what the executives thought of each princess in terms of sales power. For the DFDC Part II, I am kind of hoping that they do finish it off with at least the remaining 5 couples of the original ten princesses.

'Slap in the face' is a good way to put it. It's also the reason I haven't gotten a Designer Aurora on the secondary market yet, if everyone "hated" her doll so much and thought it "looked like a Barbie" why does she sell second only to Designer Ariel (caveat: Belle may sell for more, I don't check her prices)?

I really want a well-done couples Aurora, preferably in her forest outfit a la the Ariel of this year. Ya'll don't think she'll have a PINK dress with Phillip's end of film outfit, do you? That would really stink, I want peasant or blue, but Disney cannot get over the pink she had on for a few moments (same issue I have with Tiana's Bayou gown, I think the blue princess dress of Charlotte's or her end of film flapper attire would be way better, she had so many great dresses, that actually looked like dresses and not foliage, IMHO).

Last edited:

I think they did a good job on Beast in the DFDC line so I bet they could do animals similar to that. But Shiva brought up a good point about whether it makes sense for them to be in a designer outfit or not.

I think by now the designer and LE Disney dolls are so well known and popular that just about any human character will sell out, as long as they are beautiful, detailed, and high quality. If the general public doesn't snatch them up, scalpers will. I actually think limited edition dolls of characters like Esmeralda and Jane will sell out really quickly and easily because their edition sizes will probably be smaller than usual, and there is almost no merchandise of them so their dolls will be rare and coveted.

I think by now the designer and LE Disney dolls are so well known and popular that just about any human character will sell out, as long as they are beautiful, detailed, and high quality. If the general public doesn't snatch them up, scalpers will. I actually think limited edition dolls of characters like Esmeralda and Jane will sell out really quickly and easily because their edition sizes will probably be smaller than usual, and there is almost no merchandise of them so their dolls will be rare and coveted.

Those are good points, I also think timing is important, at the start of this year's collection we saw slow movement at first. If they started with some popular characters, had the less-known in the middle, and finished strong with Frozen or Aurora (I'd say Cindy, but it will be the year of SB) then they could easily sell some rarer characters. I won't ever stop hoping they realize how many fans Hercules has and start giving us some good Herc and Meg dolls!!!!!! I'd find a way to buy a 17in or Designer Megara if she was a LE of 2.....

'Slap in the face' is a good way to put it. It's also the reason I haven't gotten a Designer Aurora on the secondary market yet, if everyone "hated" her doll so much and thought it "looked like a Barbie" why does she sell second only to Designer Ariel (caveat: Belle may sell for more, I don't check her prices)?

I really want a well-done couples Aurora, preferably in her forest outfit a la the Ariel of this year. Ya'll don't think she'll have a PINK dress with Phillip's end of film outfit, do you? That would really stink, I want peasant or blue, but Disney cannot get over the pink she had on for a few moments (same issue I have with Tiana's Bayou gown, I think the blue princess dress of Charlotte's or her end of film flapper attire would be way better, she had so many great dresses, that actually looked like dresses and not foliage, IMHO).

I was originally going to try to rank all of the 2011 Designer Princess pins and the dolls by approximate order of price scale trends on the secondary market. The 2011 Designer Princess doll prices fluctuate a lot, but the more expensive ones seem to remain:
1) Ariel
2) Aurora
3) Belle/Pocahontas (they kind of switch off in the around $200 or a bit less range)

I can only hazard some guesses about why 2011 Designer Aurora costs so much maybe for these reasons: 1) Her lower LE 4000 size was absolutely not even close enough to satisfy the market for the Aurora fans out there, 2) They did mess up by shipping some Designer Aurora dolls in place of Designer Mulan dolls and those first eBay resales ramped up her resale price from that point on, 3) the Dollmageddon madness, & 4) What some people feel like is the ultimate Barbie cop-out actually appeals to a lot of other people.

I personally was (and still am) the most disappointed in the 2011 Designer Aurora doll from the collection, not really because of the "Barbie" connection (I actually like Barbie, too), but because the doll does not live up to the design. I was already unhappy with the updo the design has her in, but from head-to-toe, the design still looked like Aurora. Then the doll came along and they stripped away so many aspects that connected her back to Aurora. She was the first of my 2011 dolls to be packed away in storage, especially after I made my own Designer Aurora doll.

But I have to agree with you that it would be nice if DFDC Aurora were featured in her Briar Rose outfit or her blue gown, just to provide us with that variation. Personally, I am actually a fan of Aurora in pink, but with the opportunity of a Designer look, why not vary it up a little, especially if they are tooting that they are capturing the essence of the "happily ever after" moments of these stories. However, if they stick to the greys and black colors of the Briar Rose outfit (as opposed to the lavenders that it morphed into for the DS fashion packs), she may be outshined by Prince Philip in his browns and reds, which is a shame, because these outfits are my dream-outfits for their DFDC designs.

Similarly, I would love to see Tiana in her white gown from "Almost There" (http://images2.fanpop.com/image/polls/424000/424418_1271711813710_full.jpg) but of course Naveen is not in that scene. But I would like to see him in his civilian clothes from the start of the film when he is playing the ukulele. Definitely a pipe-dream for both outfits to be made for any DS dolls, and certainly never to see them together as a set since it would not make sense.

I wouldn't mind Aurora in the lavender variation though. And you are right, the original Designer design does appeal to people, I love it. I think her doll could have been better, but I don't think she looks like Barbie at all.

I 100% agree with you Shiva about Aurora. Im not a HUGE fan of the Designer doll, I do think she looks a little Barbie like. However, I still really want her. To finish the ones I want I need to get Ariel, Maleficent and Aurora. I was kind of surprised that Aurora has not gone down in price on the secondary markets. Im still holding out up to get her for a good deal after the holidays.

I also agree with you on DFDC Aurora. I really want her in the Briar Rose outfit where she meets Phillip in the forest. We dont see her in that outfit often. Then I think in the LE doll they will probably do pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back