A Little Spark

Discussion in 'Pin Showroom' started by chubs191, Sep 27, 2018.

1. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0

I had an idea last January I wanted to try to prototype. So, I started making the first one that came to mind. And then that one led me to realize my massive dissatisfaction with the current wall space and general lack of design that my current pin collection has.

I absolutely love patterns, so I knew I wanted to make something that would interlock and I could play around with if needed. So, here's the completed prototype of that idea:

[​IMG]

I realized that I mixed up my tolerances for the slots, so I'm going to have to go back and fix those for v0.2. I'm also going to have to shave off a small bit of it to fit in with something else I'm making as well... But that will be a story for another time.

I plan on covering my wall in this. Wish me luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Awesome!! The pattern and colors look great without making it too busy to look at. The border is the only thing you 3D printed? What's the back panel made of?

3. chubs191

Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0

Yes! I'm about to geek out. The borders are 3D printed out of ABS. The backplate is made from corrugated plastic that was laser cut to perfection. And then the nubs to keep the frame together are made out of 12 gauge aluminum. The fabric I found in the baby aisle of joanns and it has the perfect amount of elasticity and healed well when poked with things. It could also be cut and not have to be hemmed, which was a must.

4. chubs191

Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0

Also, while Merlin's was a unique shape, there were a lot of things that needed to be improved in design (sorry, Merlin, you were a guinea pig). Like a lip to hold the corrugated plastic and a lighter material base and maybe no paint to make it as light as possible. I had to make it segregated because of the 3D print bed, which actually works better. I gotta buy some small screws from McMaster-Carr for the next one. Then, if that one is perfect, I'll make a mold of it.

pretty Omi and watzshakinbacon like this.
  5. tiggeriffic

tiggeriffic DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Looks great! I like that you can put more frames together for a cool looking pin display wall. :tigger:

6. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

I love the nerding out! McMaster is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

I always feel the need to move my pins around in my displays and I love that the fabric doesn't need to be hemmed.
    I'll be interested to see the entire wall when you finish.

8. arielsdinglehopper

arielsdinglehopper Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

9. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

Really nice display of some really nice pins! Thanks for sharing!

10. DoReMarie

DoReMarie Member

0   0   0

I love this! I can’t believe you 3D printed the border. I love that the shapes will interlock and cover the wall. This is such a great idea! And great pins, too! Best of luck :)

11. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Great display!