Almost Live From Hollywood: Patriotic 2018

Discussion in 'Event Coverage' started by timeerkat, Jun 29, 2018.

1. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

Since the line cuts off in just a few hours, thought I'd get the ball rolling. I won't be able to make it (I was really hoping to, since I need that Judy for my collection, but I promised my sister awhile ago that I'd go hiking with her for a challenge she's doing and I didn't want to take back my promise or have her go hiking alone), but I look forward to seeing how everyone does! Crossing my fingers for everyone who shows up for it!

Should be a fairly light turnout, at least compared to the heavy hitters. I don't anticipate a surprise, but hoping that people get what they need if there is one!

Also, Doc McStuffins is the last PTD standing, which means if people sell her out during the release we'll get a flip. It's been a few sets since Jumbeaux, so I would't be surprised if someone from Zootopia shows their face (Clawhauser or Bellwether would be my guess; Flash would be another great one). Another Disney Afternoon one would be super, as well.

2. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

I have an extra spot in my Judy pickup. Sent you a text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timeerkat likes this.
  3. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

Less than an our until cutoff.

Bonne chance à tous!

4. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Almost there!

5. Killerslayer

Killerslayer Just here for pins

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Line got long quick lol down Hollywood now

6. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

410 is the final count. Not too bad, actually...per FB of course, I did not go down there for these characters!

7. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

410 ppl today!

8. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Good luck all who are there!

9. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

I (me!!!) actually got the good number today! Whew!!

[​IMG]

Won’t hang around for a flip though haha

10. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Congrats!

11. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Nice release this morning w only 410. Hoping for flip...

12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Whoooo!! But what if the flip is something you desperately need!? ;)

13. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

[​IMG]

I think they look better in person!

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  14. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Flip! Flip! Flip!

starry_solo and Tokaji like this.
  15. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

16. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Number 135. Was done a bit after 7:00.

17. pearlc

pearlc New Member

0   0   0

I was #49! This was my first time so it was an interesting experience. I was hoping for a flip but one of the guys working there said he didn’t think it would happen and that they had a lot of Doc PTDs left.

timeerkat likes this.
  18. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

What a great number for your first time! Congrats!

pearlc likes this.
  19. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Yes, it was interesting to watch the flip watching line. No one wanted to buy the Doc PTD pin, but were ready and waiting to jump into the PTD line if there was a flip.

I did my part to aid the flip. While buying the patriotic pins, I did not plan to buy the Doc PTD, but there was a man with two children at the register next to me. He wanted two Doc PTDs and he did not have the creds (ie, wristband/voucher) to buy the second one, so I offered to 'buy' my PTD, so he could have two sundaes and pins... one for each child (of course he paid for the PTD sundae, but it was one more sold this morning that would not have been sold otherwise). :)

20. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

So is there a post already out there explaining how the DSSH releases work nowadays? I think I get the general gist, but I'd love a rundown.

We're thinking about doing a Vegas/Anaheim twofer in about a year. Of course, everything might change before that, but it doesn't hurt to get the 411 now.

Congrats to everyone who did well! 28 is actually my lucky number, so that was fun to see...

timeerkat and watzshakinbacon like this.
  21. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

Conrats to all who went and got numbers!

You show up before cutoff and get into line and get a wristband. After the cutoff time they put numbered tickets in a drum, one for each person there. Once they have the drum ready, the line files through and each person gets a random ticket from the drum. That is purchase order.

Ticket numbers 1-100 line up to the left of the entrance in ticket order. When it's your turn, a cast member will check off your number and then let you inside. Once you get to a register, you hand over your ticket and can order whatever you want that is left from the release, PTDs, and any OE or older LE pin that is available. You get a receipt that you take to a side table, where they will pack up and hand you the pins. There is a separate line to the far right where you go if you want to exchange any of your pins that are scuffed/scratched/damaged.

Ticket numbers 301 and up (or 401 and up if the release pins are LE400, or 501 i fteh LE size is 500, etc.) line up to the right of the door in ticket order. I haven't done the PTD line yet, but I assume it's the same as the regular number line except you are limited to buying PTDs only. You keep your number, though, since if there are any pins left after the initial 300/400/etc. you can get into the regular line and buy whatever is left.

Abyssinian28 likes this.
  22. Abyssinian28

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

Thanks for the info! I have three (or so) follow up questions, if I may :)

1.) So it doesn't matter when you get there, as long as it's before the cutoff time? Being there early doesn't increase your chances, and there's no max "number in line" cap?

2.) Is Saturday the usual release day? I'm trying to plan our "where we need to be and when" part of the trip. I figure if a movie comes out, we can assume a Thursday or Friday, but the usual "big drops" are Saturday, right?

3.) Can you leave the line and go wherever after you get your number, or do you have to stay on site? Do they draw the numbers right before people go in?

Thanks again for all the info and effort in typing this up!

23. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

see my answers in red

Abyssinian28 likes this.
  24. Abyssinian28

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

Thanks, guys! Super helpful!

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  25. echan50

echan50 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

All the advice here is great and correct. But if you get there and feel overwhelmed and forgot what some of the advice that was posted on the forum just feel free to ask a friendly face that's in line. Besides the release itself you will see a lot of people with their trade bags just trading in line or trying to keep each other company. There's a few of us who do attend the releases that are members of this forum so you can reach out to us.