Almost Live From Hollywood: Patriotic 2018

Discussion in 'Event Coverage' started by timeerkat, Jun 29, 2018.

1. pearlc

pearlc New Member

0   0   0

Yes, I had to ask a few people questions and every one was nice and helpful, though there was some conflicting information. Give it a go! I may head out for the cuties in late July.

2. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

Oh, yeah, for sure...this was more about trip planning, tbh. Like, which days we had to be in LA versus Vegas or Anaheim. I've been to the store once, in 2008, but that was before ds.com stopped selling pins, so DSF stuff hadn't taken off yet. We just walked into the store on some random day and picked up a bunch of stuff. Ahhh, the gold old days.

KT07 likes this.
  3. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Unfortunately, no one knows dates until the fliers are released. DPF members post here, but your best source is the DSSH Facebook page. They usually release fliers the month before.

4. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0

For us East Coaster's, what is a DSSH "FLIP"??

5. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

It means the new PTD's have been released. Think of "flipping the page," "flip the script," any other flip metaphors you can think of. Basically "in with the new," and in this case it means PTDs.

6. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

Yeah, it's going to be a bit of a "hold on to your pants" situation, because we're likely to book a few months out. Best case scenario- I plan around previous trends, and try to straddle two weekends, so I can be flexible.

Sigh.

I'll have the same problem if we ever go to Paris, but at least the Paris PTNs are a little more consistent.

7. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Some additional detail:
    1) each PTD (pin trader delight) sundae (charge for ice cream, pin is free) is released with two other PTDs.
    2) Each PTD flip is the start of the new set of 3 ice cream pins related pins.
    3) All three PTDs in the three pin PTD set must sell out prior to another 3 PTD pins becoming available, so if one pin design is particularly unpopular it will delay another new set of three pins.
    4) The new rules for flips state that if the PTD sundaes (ie, the 'free' pin) sells out during a DSSH release, this will trigger a new set of 3 pins to be released. The release of 3 new pins is the 'flip'.

This weekend at the Patriotic release the Doc McStuffins PTD was in stock. If Doc McStuffins had sold out while sales of the patriotic pins were still going on, 3 new (and likely more popular pins) would be released. Thus the Patriotic pin release attendees were hoping for a sell out of the Doc McStuffins PTD, which would mean a flip to 3 new PTD pins. At which point there would be a feeding frenzy of rabid buying of PTDs. Unfortunately, no one was willing to do the buying of the PTD pin still in stock on Saturday, so it did not sell out and trigger an automatic flip.

8. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Also a "pin release" in the case of the Patriotic pins, means the PTDs have to sell out before 10am, even if people are still in line after 10am to buy the patriotic pins. So the "pin release" time slot counts as 6am-9:59am.
    Otherwise the flips are at random, and will drop any day of the week, between opening at 10am, and supposedly according to employees the latest they will flip is 6pm.
    In the past the series flipped anytime the full set of 3 sold out, but now they come out at random.

9. KT07

KT07 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

That's how I remember it. Walk right in and get a seat. Order some food and as many PTD as you want. Kind of sad that it seems to just be a store that caters to pin folks only. I could only imagine no tourists are going to fight the lines just to have some ice cream.

10. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Tourists don’t need to stand in line if they don’t want pins. Granted some tourists are overwhelmed by the line and leave but most ask what’s the line for or if they look confused, I tell them that they can go in and not stand in line. There’s still quite a few tourists whenever I go to DSF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  11. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Yep, only people who specifically want the PTDs need to stand in that line. People who just want non-PTD ice cream, or those that want to buy chocolate or Disney merchandise, can go right on in. There are tables and chairs set up inside and two entire walls are filled with merchandise and chocolate, so it does cater to non-pin folks as well. (Even more so now that PTDs are random release, and not endlessly back-to-back. That way the shop is only busy with pin folks right after the PTDs flip or surprise release is put out, since monthly releases are early morning before tourists would arrive.)

12. KT07

KT07 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

So can you take your kids and family in and get a table for lunch. Couple dogs or grill cheese and than order up a ptd or two? Years ago that was how it was. We just waited for a table and than it was just like any other restaurants. That's how we ended up with three tinker PTD. But I'm thinking from what y'all say, you can get the food but not the ptd?

13. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

It's set up like a counter service food place (rather than order from a waiter at a table, you order at the register and then they'll bring your food to you). They don't serve savory food anymore, unfortunately. But on top of PTD sundaes they do serve non-PTD ice cream sundaes/milkshakes/floats, and a few non-ice cream food items like cookies and brownies. They used to have Mickey waffles but haven't for quite awhile. And yes, you can order these items without getting a PTD.

You can also order a PTD, and you receive the pin at the counter and then they'll serve the ice cream to you at your table.

14. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

You could be walking around Hollywood as a tourist TODAY and go walk right on in with no lines and order a PTD, since they should still have two designs available.