• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Any advice for new collector bitten by the “bug�

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacim

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,
I’m fairly new to collecting, in fact I made my first purchase a week ago today, butnow I feel like I need to have them all. My first purchase was the Maleficent,Blue Aurora, Prince Phillip, and the Cinderella/prince set. Since then I’ve bought the Pocahontas/John & Mulan/Li Shang sets, Tinkerbell & Zarina, & 17 in Ariel, Ursula, & Lady Tremaine.
I know I can’t be the only one that’s experienced this. I feel like I missed out on so many that I have to get them ASAP or I won’t have the chance in the future. It’s kind of funny because it actually makes me anxious, lol.
Doesanyone have any advice? Does it wear off or is this just the rush that doesn’tgo away?
Any input or advice is appreciated

Last edited:
For me it also comes in spurts. Like recently with all these new dolls coming out I got Maleficent, Aurora, and Phillip. But I also got Tiana/Naveen, Pocahontas/John, and Mulan/Shang. But I also went online and got the Designer Mother Gothel. I think it is the excitement of when you get new ones that you just want more and more.
After The Briar Rose designer comes out I would say hold off for a while. Around this time of the year is when prices sky rocket. I was looking at designer Mother Gothels that were only 50 dollars and all of them jumped up to 90 and 100 dollars. I would say still keep up with new adds on ebay and create a watch list of some cheap ones but don't make any rash decisions. After the holidays die down the prices will drop again.
Hope some of this helps and also congratulations on all your new additions!

Welcome! We have some great threads here for doll collecting and I think they are a must read for all doll collectors new or old as they are so informative. They are the threads at the top of the page which have advice on price and just general info on each doll.

Its a a very difficult habit to curb because I started with the 2011 Designer princesses and I had to have them all. I think dollmagedon didn't help at the time because I knew I'd have been gutted if I didn't get them all. Then came the animator dolls and of course I had to have all of them too because they are so damn cute. You see where I'm going here?!

So with the Designer couples I've limited myself to my favourite princesses and so far only have 3 sets. I think you just need to be realistic about what you can spend and how much space you have. I for one don't see the point in spending £50/£100 on dolls for them to be sat gathering dust, they need to be displayed. I've promised myself that I'm not going to start or buy any 17" dolls and sometimes I regret that decision but I know it's a sensible one.

Lastly, doll collecting can be brutal - just look at some of these threads! BUT it's also a fun hobby, stressful sometimes but I'd say it's the best feeling when you get the dolls and see how good they are in person.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I've joined several fandoms throughout the years and what you're feeling is completely normal. My only advice is make sure you're not just buying to buy, make sure it's something you actually want.

for example I'm into monster high, and when I first started collecting I would buy every doll... And now many of those dolls I regret buying have either been sold or donated to goodwill to make room for new dolls I actually wanted.

so basically wait for the hype to wear off before you go too crazy, and if you are wanting to collect all of the dolls be aware how many there are, and how much its going to cost to complete your collection.

i only buy the dolls I really want, I stopped trying for a complete collection when I realized how impossible it can be to keep up with new releases and space.

I've watched them go up (by a considerable amount) just in this last week. I was too caught up in the hype to even think about the holidays. It makes total sense that they would go up this time of year and makes me feel better. Thank you.

For me it also comes in spurts. Like recently with all these new dolls coming out I got Maleficent, Aurora, and Phillip. But I also got Tiana/Naveen, Pocahontas/John, and Mulan/Shang. But I also went online and got the Designer Mother Gothel. I think it is the excitement of when you get new ones that you just want more and more.
After The Briar Rose designer comes out I would say hold off for a while. Around this time of the year is when prices sky rocket. I was looking at designer Mother Gothels that were only 50 dollars and all of them jumped up to 90 and 100 dollars. I would say still keep up with new adds on ebay and create a watch list of some cheap ones but don't make any rash decisions. After the holidays die down the prices will drop again.
Hope some of this helps and also congratulations on all your new additions!

Thank you for the responses. I never imagined I would get so caught up and so quickly, but all of you are definitely making sense. I appreciate the responses because they're like a slap back to reality. I was so close to buying several dolls on Ebay today, and you're right some of them were not at the top of my list. I think you've convinced me to take some deep breaths and prioritize. I'm know I'm going to get Briar Rose and Tiana because then I'll have the complete second set. I just got my Blue Aurora today (1st 17in) and she is big. I underestimated the sizes of the 17's, I guess because of the box. So I have some rearranging to do.

I'm kind of upset because both of my dolls have defects. The front top right corner of Aurora is kind of dented in and the blue cardboard insert that holds Cindy's Coa has a noticeable white spot on it. Cindy is #642 & Aurora is # 505. I know numbers aren't supposed to matter, but I'm partial to the low ones. I tried asking Disney to just let me swap top boxes (for Aurora) but they won't let me. I really don't want to send them back, it's a little disheartening. The customer service team at Disney doesn't seem to really care at all. :(

I think most people go through this stage, I think if you see a good deal on a doll you really want and you have the money/space then go for it. But I wouldn't just get every doll, just try at first for the ones you love!
I know people have said it's a bad time to be buying because of the holidays etc but I disagree. I sold my designer Aurora and Maleficent last December and barely got over retail for them! In the summer I decided I regretted selling them and bought them back, they were alot more expensive in the summer. I think a lot of people sell around Christmas to get some money and if you keep your eye out you can find some good deals as most people are too busy buying gifts and not collectors dolls.

Yeah definitely think things through first. I was about to go on another spending rampage too but I'm prioritizing and on saving up to get completer sets. I want to finish off my Couples Fairytale collection. Then I was to concentrate on getting a Lady Tremaine to go with my Cinderella and then move onto Ariel, Eric, and Ursula etc.
But yeah little damages like that Disney won't be concerned with. If It was major damage to the box or the doll itself they would do something about it.

Pink Aurora was my first LE doll, so I also started late. I love her so much and also got blue Aurora and Cindy/Charming. However, I'm a college student who doesn't have too much money so I'm gonna try stopping from spending so much. I decided to be content with collecting Sleeping Beauty merchandise only because she is my #1 favorite princess. Next I'm getting Briar Rose/Phillip, but I think I'll stop there. Maybe later I'll get others I really really like.

I am going through this stage now. I 've just been crazy to get the Anna (snow gear) and Elsa from EBAY by spending more than $700 two months ago but I don't regret to do that for I just want them most. After that, I just want to buy more and more LE dolls but fortunately I persuade myself just buying the dolls you really really love and will take good care of them no just leaving them in the corner... So, upon the release of both LE aurora and Cindy I just bought the Cindy not both of them. But, I would try to get the both Elsa and Anna of Frozen Fever for I just love frozen most.

My advice I could give to you is if you have the room, time, moolah, & patience; Get them all.
As a person who has been 2 yrs of Disney pin collecting & yr of Disney Store doll collecting, I'm only collecting what movies I'm truly passionate about.
That way I'm only focusing on collections I'm truly chasing after and not worrying about other merchandise that's coming out in the near future.
So as for me, I'm truly in love with Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Princess & the Frog, Wreck-it-Ralph, & Olaf.
But I got a layout plan for what I want to collect for each of those franchises, that way I won't have regrets later on in life for not getting them.

Now as a person who wants to collect all of the Dolls including the 17" & the designers, know your ways around on how to get them before thinking of a back up plan if your first plan fails.
Like if you're a person who lives really near or like an hr away from the Disney Store, that would be your first luck to getting them. Bring any of your friends or family to help you out (if you're the only person getting them)
Now if you live Internationally or your luck wasn't on your side at the Disney Store, trying getting them on the online release date would be your second back up.
Plus the facebooks groups or even here would be your best luck as well if that doesn't work out either. Also, making connections or friends here will help better your chance to getting your dolls.
Because eBay or any those kind of sites should be your LAST resort on getting them. You might be lucky to find one at a good cost.
Just be aware of sellers out there, they might either don't have it or the jacked up the price big time!

Plus being patient is always the fun part of collecting these guys cause if you happened to find a good deal on a certain doll you've been searching, it's worth the wait.
As a focused collector of any Aladdin merchandise, I'm still on the hunt for the Designer Jasmine doll but got the opportunity to get the Aladdin and Jasmine designer Fairytale last yr in store.
Since they haven't had any 17" LE dolls because they haven't re-released Aladdin out of the vault yet, that actually still gives me the time to find it before they release some.
Plus it also gives me time to even rearrange some of my collections around and get some new shelves for my collections. That would be all my best advice to give to you! Enjoy collecting and remember we're all here to ask any questions about the lovely money-making of Disney Store limited edition dolls and designer dolls :D

Last edited:
Thanks again for the responses. I've read and reread them all, and your advice is excellent. It seems that I need to learn patience & restraint, but it sounds so much easier than it is. I never truly understood the whole "bitten by the bug" thing until this. It's like I have an itch that I'm dying to scratch. I think it would have been easier if I started in 09' with the beginning of the line, but starting almost 5 years late make me feel like I'm rushing to catch up. I'm afraid less will be available and prices will go higher the longer I wait. I'm trying to pinpoint the ones I want, but they're all so darn beautiful in their individual ways. Disney did such a good job, I'm hooked!!

I have been too. I got Coronation Elsa, Tiana/Naveen, Mulan/Li Shang, Snow Gear Anna, and Maleficent over the course of the month....now I'm dying to find a wedding rapunzel at a price that doesn't make me cringe, but I'm gonna take everyone's advice and wait it out. I'm sure after all this doll junk is over, prices will drop again. A lot of people who got the sleeping beauty set are newer to collecting (like myself!) and want a lot of dolls all at once so it makes people want to charge more for it. I saw someone who wants 300 for Ariel and I was like NOOOPPPEEE! Before I bought Aurora, she was like 200, and that was do-able for me. So crazy, but let's wait it out together! :)

Dont give up and dont lose hope on the ones you really want. You will find the right one at the right time. Just be patient and you will get them without having to pay an arm and a leg for. The forum is a really great source and support, people will help each other out and tend to keep an eye out for fellow collectors, there are also FB groups and other social medias you can frequent to help you find your faves. ebay can help you determine the current trend as far as pricing. There are also good deals you may find in local ads and even on craigslist. The best thing to keep in mind is have fun, enjoy the hunt and you will meet great people aling the way.

It started with Maleficent movie doll and it expanded to other Villians. Only LE princess I want to get is Ariel, but she is too much now :(

Yes...go see a doctor and have him cure that "Bug Bite". Be careful not to get bitten again, it will cost you all the money you ever saved!!! :lol::lol:

What a great thread! I love reading everyone's advice and about all the dolls they have splurged on recently! In the past two months I have bought the entire second set of DFDC dolls, DFDC Jasmine/Aladdin and Rapunzel/Flynn. Also 17" Blue Aurora, Maleficent and Prince Philip for my doll collection. Now I have 10 dolls that have no where to go until I put up more shelving or find a curio or a bookcase that will fit the limited space I do have available. I have a lot of my Disney collection stored at my parents house, even some of my beloved snowglobes because I just don't have the space for a life long Disney collection in my beach cottage. Even with so much of it missing my place definitely reflects my addiction and there's Disney galore in every room. I am struggling to figure out where to put all these dolls, yet I continue to look for past releases that I have missed obsessively. This hobby has definitely put a noticable dent in my wallet right before my Disneyland vacation. I need to have a little more self control because lord knows every time I go to Disneyland I shop - always bringing back more things to find a home within my home. I have it bad for Disney merchandise, especially when it's limited and SO much of it is! I don't think that I will ever have this habit under control because I always need more, more, MORE!

Thanks again for the responses. I've read and reread them all, and your advice is excellent. It seems that I need to learn patience & restraint, but it sounds so much easier than it is. I never truly understood the whole "bitten by the bug" thing until this. It's like I have an itch that I'm dying to scratch. I think it would have been easier if I started in 09' with the beginning of the line, but starting almost 5 years late make me feel like I'm rushing to catch up. I'm afraid less will be available and prices will go higher the longer I wait. I'm trying to pinpoint the ones I want, but they're all so darn beautiful in their individual ways. Disney did such a good job, I'm hooked!!

Ditto on this. I was bitten as well. I wish I knew 5 years ago. It feels like I got into it when everything has already been released (couples, designer, LE 17in) Now I just hope they continue to make le dolls ...

I am new to here but not new to collecting. I used to collect My Little Pony and American Girl. The lessons I have learned is that merchandise already retired is not going anywhere. It will continue to appear on eBay and may even drop in price at certain times of the year. Patience is key when building a new collection.

Thus far I only have the Fairytale Aurora and Phillip but have a pretty decent want list. I am going to limit myself to one a month and wait until after the new year to add any more dolls. Life is crazy right now for me with work and when I stress I impulse buy. I have limited room and want to purchase other Sleeping Beauty merchandise too.

So, I've accepted the fact that I'm not going to be satisfied until I have them all, but have promised myself and my husband that I won't buy on impulse. I created what I think are realistic price points for each one I still need and am willing to wait it out as long as it takes. I know some will take longer than others, but I'm okay with that because like many others, I've run into a space issue. I'm currently looking into different types of shelving. All the couples fit perfectly into an enclosed display, but we're having a hard time finding a decorative ways to display the 17's while keeping them out of my children's reach :/

If anyone is knowledgeable on displays or shelving, I think a lot of us with space concerns or just plain confusion on how to beautifully display these dolls, would greatly appreciate your help. What do you prefer to use? Do you display both your 17" and Designers in the same way? Or do you have something separate for each?

If anyone can provide links to displays or shelving they like (if that's allowed) or even some suggestions of where to look it would be very helpful. I have spent a fair amount of time researching, but haven't found the right thing yet - so I figured I'd ask the experts! If anyone has a display that they love, please share it with us. Thanks! :)

Mulan and Shang were my first, so basically I just started, though I had been thinking of doing so for a while time now, I just wanted to start my collection off with a doll I really wanted-for me I knew that was going to have to be either Mulan or, after the release of Frozen, Elsa since they are my two fav's! I did go on to get Aurora and Phillip, which I don't regret at all! As soon as I saw them on display at my local Disney store I personally felt that those two were the best of the set, no offense to Cindy and the others, so I had a feeling I'd end up with them if possible. I am tempted to complete the set, but realistically, I don't have the space nor the money to do so. I probably won't try for another doll until I find out if/when Disney is releasing 17in dolls for Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff in 2015. I missed the Snow Queen release as well as the Coronation one and, as I mentioned previously, I knew I would only start my collection with Elsa or Mulan so another 17in Elsa release would be perfect for me as I could being my designer collection with Mulan and, hopefully, the Heirloom collection with Elsa! Unfortunately, shelling out $500-1,000+ for one of the other two Elsa's is unrealistic right now, so that fact combined with my previous resolve has kept me from going on a major spending spree. I completely agree with what others have said though, if you don't like the doll or have room for it then you probably shouldn't buy it, even if it's part of a set. Personally, I already know exactly where my first 17in doll would go: on my dresser, right between my two designer dolls, but beyond that I have no clue yet where I'd put any others if/when I acquire more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back