• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Authentic vs. Fake (Side by Side)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Authentic vs. Fake (Side by Side)

imatronaholic

Daft Punk Rocks
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Here is a side by side comparison of Pin 29334: Sitting Princesses (Cinderella)

View attachment 4624

I know that people make money at this, but I still don't completely understand why they make counterfeit / fake Disney pins. With the millions of other things to do in life, why fake pins? :sad:

I am so confused right now. I have pins that I bought from DLR and do not have the mickey ears stamp and are gold as well. Does that make them fake? if that is the case then I am pretty sure that most of my collection is either scrappers or counterfeit. This makes me very sad.

I am so confused right now. I have pins that I bought from DLR and do not have the mickey ears stamp and are gold as well. Does that make them fake? if that is the case then I am pretty sure that most of my collection is either scrappers or counterfeit. This makes me very sad.

Not at all. Only the newer pins will have the Mickey pattern and not all new ones even have it. It depends on where it was released. I think your collection is probably fine.

No, your pin is real. Don't worry. I recently bought this same pin from DLR, and it is different from 'real' pin posted above. I will look for it and post some pictures. If you can, post pictures of the front and back of the pin you recently bought from DLR. :)

thats good to know. just to be safe I'm gonna go through my collections and see which could be counterfeit/scrapper and try to replace them with the real thing. What year did they start making them with the stamps.. At least I can check those and maybe replace them sooner and cheaper than some of my older pins. thanks again!!

I'm not sure. The Mickey pattern I think started around 2010 but the Official Pin Trading Logo (which I think is what you are talking about) started around mmmm, maybe 2003/2004??? But just because a pin doesn't have the logo doesn't mean it is fake. In fact, fakes usually have very similar backstamps as the real versions anyways, so it doesn't really mean much.

For example, none of the old Disney Auctions pins with have the pin trading logo. It just depends on where the pin came from.

Definitely! There is a lot to learn about pins.

Most pins are listed on pinpics, but not all pins. For example: Some public pins have several release dates, and not all of these releases are shown, like the Cinderella pin being discussed on this thread. There might be slight variations in the artwork for each release. So that the pin you have might not match up exactly with the pinpics description..

There are some definite telltale signs of a counterfeit or fake pin, but some authentic pins have 'minor' flaws and could be mistaken for a fake. I would suggest to do what I am going to do, and that is to go through your pins, and put them in 3 categories: 1) obvious fakes; 2) looks pretty authentic; and 3) not sure. I think I will look at each pin again to make sure that it is in the right category, THEN, if possible, have another pin collector take a look at your pins to give a 2nd opinion. There are several posts here on DPF that discuss how to tell if a pin is real or fake, and there is a ton of information on the web.

..and if anyone that is reading this post has any questions regarding whether one of your pins is authentic or fake..don't be afraid to ask..I have found that people on this forum are more than willing to help.. :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I am educating myself reading all this good info on counterfeit, which it never dawned on me that any one would bother doing it. I always wondered why some people could or would sell Disney pins so cheap on ebay.
Jaci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back