• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Beauty and the Beast [2017] Merchandise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beauty and the Beast [2017] Merchandise Discussion
Jnfortunately it doesn't look like the Disney version will look any better. Some people in the Facebook doll groups have seen the Emma Watson dolls and reported the face was basically the same but the dress had better quality fabric.

With the bad PR Disney is getting, they do have time to fix the doll. Honestly, the freckles need to go and she needs a smaller forehead. Otherwise, she looks fine. Also, she could use a better paint job around her eyes. Her head is just too long. Thats the main problem.

My friend says the doll looks like Angela Anaconda 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah that is exactly who she looks like.

a549b56baf21cc4dfcc2d3487741f08a.jpg

Hopefully Disney redoes this doll, otherwise they will sell hardly any. I kept looking at the picture, trying to see the good qualities and I just couldn't. She def looks like sick and pregnant Bella swan from breaking dawn I had such high hopes because the gaston doll looks really GOOD!!!!!

I am waiting to see what the official Disney store doll looks like. It could have a better paint job...if not I will hold out hope that it looks nicer on the 17" Le doll since its larger and they can add more details. I am truly not sure if I will pick her up the Alice dolls from Through the looking glass I thought were amazing and I remember people saying Alice was ugly as well. She still sold out in my area at least. If the doll really is this ugly then Disney Epic fail...Maybe hot toys will make a Live action Belle sometime but im not holding out hope. Also I heard on Tumblr that Disney Store is planning on releasing their Live Action Beauty and the beast merchandise on January 16th anyone know if thats true or not?

Last edited:
Oh wow! Fox news! [video=youtube;0ez9WzqSsC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ez9WzqSsC8[/video] provided by Mass Tea Party

LOL I opened this thread up just to see how you all felt about the "Justin Beiber" doll. Poor Belle.

I have mixed feelings about this movie, but I have to say I LOVE the Funko Pop for Beast! He looks like a baby werewolf, aw.

I have zero issue with Emma or the film. The doll looking odd to me is no reflection of the actress. The hate though, that has to stop.

Yeah Idk what's up with those comments.

Update!

Apparently, JcPenny Belle doll has been re-called. (info from mmdisney200 on Instagram) I wander what this will mean for the Disney Store version. I think Disney would look bad if they didn't address this issue after all the attention it got. Disney was quick to fix the Cinderella step sisters switch faces, so hopefully they can fix Belle doll without taking too long.

Last edited:
Hmm... Hate for Emma Watson seems normal though. She's a feminist, and she's very prolific about it. So certain people seem to hate that...

Also, I'm starting to turn on Emma Watson too.. Kind of.. Not as much as them. Like, I do think that her feminism kind of ruined some of the movie. Belle being an inventor, her refusing to wear a corset... Plus, her singing voice is just so horrible and so bad... I would immediately hate an actor who took on the role knowing just how bad their voice was.

As for the DisneyStore dolls... I mean, it's gonna cost them a ton of money considering the dolls come out sometime this week. I don't think they're gonna recall them... but the dolls would sell.

Interesting to hear that the JC Penny dolls were recalled. I wonder what the Disney Store will do since I believe their merchandise was due out on Monday the 16th. On another note are people really upset that she changed belle a bit?!?! Who cares if she's an inventor now or wouldn't wear a corset(though I'm not sure if that effects the design of the dress or not) Belle is my favorite princess and I welcome a bit of change a a bit of a different take on her(same goes for any of my favorite characters) but that's just me

I mean I think the best they could do for the JCPenny dolls is make some slight alterations to the sculpt and fix the HORRID paint job. That would be enough to make it look tolerable I would think. I am assuming that the Disney Store dolls are fine. I dunno. Guess we will find out next week.

That's terrible that people dislike Emma for being anti-sexist.

Personally, I would be happy if Belle were more empowered for a modern decade. I'd hope we've made some progress against discrimination by now and that it would reflect in our movies. I don't think the actors are usually the ones who get to make that decision, though.

Maybe that is why they cast Emma as Belle, because she previously played an intelligent woman.

I think she did a great job playing Hermione.

It's just that she looks NOTHING like Belle, and I frankly do not care what previous roles people have had in other movies, whether they always play intelligent women or this is their first time.... I only care whether they can play Belle well! And, Belle has big, brown eyes, and natural, full lips. She clearly isn't anywhere near dirty blonde and doesn't have a freckle on her. She is a light-skinned total brunette, which is a very common combination in real life (and very rare in Disney princesses .... nearly ALL their moms have this combination though!)

Our one brunette with pale skin got cast as a person with obviously "blonde" features (like narrow eyes and lips). Just because she played another intelligent woman before? Were the choices really that slim? That's my beef. I feel this casting choice ruins Belle.

As for Emma Watson, I have nothing against her and I don't fault her, because if they wanted to cast me as Cinderella, trust me I would not care that I look nothing like her, I'd be jumping on that like nobody's business. But they shouldn't cast me for it....dying my hair blonde will not give me typically blonde facial features (I also don't think I could ever act well enough to completely not show the "edge" in my personality - Cindy is impossibly sweet). But don't expect ME to be able to say no - it would be the job of the casting director to break the news. Whoever chose this Belle casting... womp, womp. They ruined my only (non-POC) brunette princess. All of us non-POC brunettes can just sit on it, what else is new.

I'll be happy to see Emma in some other shows/movies.

Edit: And don't even get me started on why French Belle has an English accent. Cinderella was suddenly English, and now Belle too? Or I suppose she isn't Belle anymore either... "Fit Bird"?

Last edited:
French characters having British accents is always strange to me, like the cockney in Gavroche's voice in Les Miserables. I suppose it's an adaptation for English-speaking audiences, but it'd be cool to hear a legitimate French accent for a change (not a shallow mockery of one). As for bad singing voices, it's unfortunate that movie musicals continue to cast actors who can't sing, favoring star power instead (look at virtually every recent musical that has been in theaters, most notably Russell Crowe as Javert). As for feminism, I don't see how that in and of itself is a problem, but I do believe the "no corset" thing is a cheap and cliche nod to a movie or book's supposed feminism (look at Burton's Alice in Wonderland). That doesn't mean a movie is empowering to women, it's just a heavy-handed claim by the writers that it is, so the audience should be grateful. The inventor part, however, sounds interesting.

And strange, I always thought of Emma Watson as having brown hair to be honest. Unless she's colored or highlighted her hair for this role. But then, my mom has deep brunette hair, and I can see the difference between that and other brown shades (my hair is not brown or dirty blonde so idk, I don't really think about it and I have trouble labeling some people's hair colors). And I don't see how narrow eyes/lips are distinctly blonde features. Features vary regardless of hair color.

Last edited:
Hmm... Hate for Emma Watson seems normal though. She's a feminist, and she's very prolific about it. So certain people seem to hate that...

Also, I'm starting to turn on Emma Watson too.. Kind of.. Not as much as them. Like, I do think that her feminism kind of ruined some of the movie. Belle being an inventor, her refusing to wear a corset... Plus, her singing voice is just so horrible and so bad... I would immediately hate an actor who took on the role knowing just how bad their voice was.

Belle helped her father with inventions in the original movie. I'm not sure how expanding on that is a bad thing. Also, who cares if she refused to wear a corset? She shouldn't be forced to wear one if she doesn't want to. Her wearing a corset would not have changed any of the outfits we have seen from the movie. As for her singing voice, I will give you that one. I just heard the clip of "Belle (reprise)" and it was bad. If your lead actress can't sing, you either don't make it a musical or have someone else sing for her.

As a big eyed, full lipped, blonde, I'd like to point out that Emma was in fact born a brunette. I've never seen anything that indicated a correlation of facial features to hair colour outside of ethnicity.

I find it kind of interesting that I've seen so many people wish for a live Belle that more closely resembled animated Belle, when Lily James looked nothing like animated Cinderella. Granted I didn't care much about/for that movie so I could have missed it, but I don't remember seeing similar criticisms? That's not a diss, I totally understand why people would like a more Belle-like Belle, I just find it interesting.

The corset thing kinda bugs me because it's not a feminist issue unless they were actively trying to bind her body into an unnatural shape. Corsets are just very large bras appropriate for the period the movie is set in. But then, no part of her wardrobe is appropriate for the period the movie is set in... *passive-aggressive-cough* The inventor thing makes a lot of sense though. As a live action movie (2+ hours) being released in 2017 I would expect more character depth. And growing up as her father's only assistant she would totally know her way around a screwdriver. I hope it plays into a plot point, like she gets to Macgyver something together to save the day. Proactive princesses ftw!

Okay, I'm not going to comment on her wardrobe. But, as a vocal instructor and director of musicals, her voice is perfectly fine. She's always on pitch, she has great inflection, and unlike many of the popular singers today, you can actually understand every single word she says. Not sure what you guys are complaining about.

So does anyone know if the 16th is indeed the date that the Disney Store is going to be releasing their Beauty and the Beast Merchandise? I cant wait to see what else they release besides the dolls. I am hoping for some nice mugs lithographs, and similar things to the Cinderella live action movie. I know I cant wait to see their merchandise. Does anyone know if they are going to give us a sneak peak at whats available before hand or do we just go to our local store and check things out.

I just wanted to follow up and say that I haven't actually listened to Emma Watson's singing voice, as I'm the type who avoids watching too many clips and trailers before a movie in order to keep it fresh, so I don't have an opinion on her voice. I was just ranting a little about Hollywood's history of casting people who can't sing well in movie musicals, so I'm sorry if I caused offense. And I just checked a bunch of stills and movie posters and Emma Watson's Belle absolutely looks brunette to me! And her freckles are very understated (and I don't see any problem with freckles to begin with *shrug*).
I don't see the problem.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as attacking anyone or upset, I just think that a lot of these complaints are so minor that I really don't know why you would choose to pick them out.

Belle helped her father with inventions in the original movie. I'm not sure how expanding on that is a bad thing. Also, who cares if she refused to wear a corset? She shouldn't be forced to wear one if she doesn't want to. Her wearing a corset would not have changed any of the outfits we have seen from the movie. As for her singing voice, I will give you that one. I just heard the clip of "Belle (reprise)" and it was bad. If your lead actress can't sing, you either don't make it a musical or have someone else sing for her.

My issue with her being an inventor comes from the fact that it feels forced. Like, Belle's thing has always been about reading. Her father was the one who invented things. It doesn't seem natural to me because they basically stole something from another character and gave it to her, and I hate that about feminism today. There are many ways a woman can be empowered. She reads books for crying out loud! In the animated movie, she mostly read Fairytales, so why not make her someone who loves learning about the world through books? Like she could learn algebra and physics... Also, we never see her invent anything in the whole animated movie, all she does is hand a screwdriver to her father, I wouldn't say that they're expanding on her role as an inventor. Make her someone who is strong and empowered through knowledge. It also takes away from the idea that she is obsessed with the worlds that are presented to her in her books. Like, yeah, a woman can no longer be empowered through education, she has to go the extra mile to prove that she's not your average woman.

As for the corset thing, it's just annoying because that's what people wore in that time period. Her whole ballroom look just reeks of being too modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back