• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Beauty & the Beast Happily Ever After

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beauty & the Beast Happily Ever After

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
541   0   0
I have seen this pin
Pin 77659: DisneyStore.com - Happily Ever After Series - Belle

listed on the bay, shipping from Hong Kong and having no backer card.

I suspect it may be a scrapper (picture shows it on a backer card but the description says "NO BACKER CARD."

Now, my own came from a PTN from a trader I've seen for years (he collects Alice in Wonderland), shortly after the series was released. So, of course, I have no backer card either.

Hi Starry, this "no backer card" problem is getting to be a major issue it seems, and actually it shouldn't be a problem at all. Many pin collectors and buyers did not save the original backer cards because they never intended to sell their pins, and instead put them in collection books or else displayed them on their walls. Also, I have noticed that many of my pins - both DA and DS cards - have no SKU or identifying marks on the back of the cards and are blank, so even though they are actually on their original card, you can't really tell by looking at the card. Another problem seems to be that many sellers remove the pin from the card to get better pictures when they sell them, plus some of the padded envelope used to mail these pins are too small to allow the pin card to be mailed inside.

I do not believe that just because a pin does not have it's original card that it is indicative of a fake/counterfeit pin. However, with the pin you are speaking of, and because the seller is from Hong Kong, I would be saying "red flag" to myself.

If it comes down to original card vs no card, it is going to be too easy for these sellers to buy or produce "counterfeit" backer cards, also. Then we will have to start posting pictures of all the fake backer cards and how to spot them on the forums. Where will it all end?

We all know that buying off of eBay is very risky. Buying off the internet is risky. Even buying off this site, or trading on Pinpics is risky...and even trading at the parks is risky. So, where is it safe? The only safe place right now is purchasing directly Disney yourself, and this is exactly the way Disney wants it.

Hi Starry, this "no backer card" problem is getting to be a major issue it seems, and actually it shouldn't be a problem at all. Many pin collectors and buyers did not save the original backer cards because they never intended to sell their pins, and instead put them in collection books or else displayed them on their walls. Also, I have noticed that many of my pins - both DA and DS cards - have no SKU or identifying marks on the back of the cards and are blank, so even though they are actually on their original card, you can't really tell by looking at the card. Another problem seems to be that many sellers remove the pin from the card to get better pictures when they sell them, plus some of the padded envelope used to mail these pins are too small to allow the pin card to be mailed inside.

True, but I seem to recall that the pinpics description mentioned that there is actually a number on the back of the pin that matches the SKU that was on the backer card. It's been a while since I got this pin at a DLR PTN but I vaguely remember numbers on the back. I will have to pull it tonight to verify but this was around the time that Disney started printing numbers on the backs of their pins (numbers which can be rubbed off over time)

I have received several pins through trades and through buying and I've noticed that some of the numbers have been rubbed off or an attempt was made to rub them off, however, there is always some residual glue left even when the white sticker with the numbers is completely gone. I'm not sure what type of glue Disney uses to put these on their backer cards, but it is certainly good glue and is not meant to come off.
On another note, even some of the newer pins on pinpics don't have an sku number listed. For instance, PP# 67922 Stitch Be Mine Valentine LE 100 set from 2009 has "unknown" SKU numbers listed on its site, but I know they all did have numbers because I had one of the original sets. If buyers start to require original cards for all these newer and older pins, then I'm certain the counterfeiters will start offering them.

Starry, you are talking about the same seller I had posted about here a while back:

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?9795-Yet-another-possible-scrapper-warning-77652-Car-Parade

He has been among the sellers I watch for a while now.

I have seen him sell the Happily Ever After series pins again and again over a yr. Always w/o backing cards. He also sells Monument Series and Mid-summer Nap Series, Batch Time Fun Series. My guess is that this person got his hands on factory seconds somehow.

What is worse .... this seller listed the Car Parade Series at least 10 times, he sells them everytime and that set is LE 100.

If buyers start to require original cards for all these newer and older pins, then I'm certain the counterfeiters will start offering them.

I have heard that there is one Ebay seller who started doing just this and this is a well known seller on Ebay with 2 id's and he also participates in the Disneyana shows in CA.

To answer the SKU number question: I have purchased mine directly from Disney and I just looked at my Sleeping Beauty pin and sure enough there is a SKU number on its back with black ink, although some of those numbers run through the Mickey Head copy-right etc.

Last edited:
I was looking for them to see the seller and clicking the link on any of the happily ever after set says the page isnt available at this time

Starry, you are talking about the same seller I had posted about here a while back:

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?9795-Yet-another-possible-scrapper-warning-77652-Car-Parade

He has been among the sellers I watch for a while now.

I have seen him sell the Happily Ever After series pins again and again over a yr. Always w/o backing cards. He also sells Monument Series and Mid-summer Nap Series, Batch Time Fun Series. My guess is that this person got his hands on factory seconds somehow.

What is worse .... this seller listed the Car Parade Series at least 10 times, he sells them everytime and that set is LE 100.

I have heard that there is one Ebay seller who started doing just this and this is a well known seller on Ebay with 2 id's and he also participates in the Disneyana shows in CA.

To answer the SKU number question: I have purchased mine directly from Disney and I just looked at my Sleeping Beauty pin and sure enough there is a SKU number on its back with black ink, although some of those numbers run through the Mickey Head copy-right etc.

My little sister was collecting this set as well, and I have seen this seller list the pins multiple times as well. If it is indeed the seller I am thinking of (picture is pretty bad quality and from Hong Kong, then I probably would pass on them.

For a minute I got happy thinking hemight be banned from Ebay or something, but his fake pin auctions are back on :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back