• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Best way to display pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best way to display pins?
I have bought "memory boxes" (think they're pretty similar to shadow boxes) and used these to display pins- in also pretty crafty so enjoy creating a background with board and then fabric or scrapbook paper which IMO is much nicer than just plain cork board. I have also bought some custom lanyards to display my collections (or some of them haha) on as I figured half the fun is showing them off at the parks! Sadly they're so heavy I don't wear them for long!

Oh I like the scrapbook paper idea. Yeah I don't like normal cork appearance. So finding an alternative to that has been challenging. I might start going the shadowbox approach. I tried to get like a sports jersey display case. But the pins wouldn't go through. So that wasn't a good fit either.

How do you get the felt to stay? Do you hot glue gun it to the batting? What exactly do you mean by batting? Is it called that at a craft store! Really liked the pictures of your displayed pins in the glass shadow boxes. Wasn't sure though how you exactly did it.
Nope, just laid the felt down over top of the batting (yes, that's what it's called. It's what you use in quilts. :D) the weight of the pins plus the pressure from the glass keeps the felt from sliding.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nope, just laid the felt down over top of the batting (yes, that's what it's called. It's what you use in quilts. :D) the weight of the pins plus the pressure from the glass keeps the felt from sliding.

Oh that sounds like a really great approach. That's for the shadowboxes you have with the glass in the front correct? :D

Oh that sounds like a really great approach. That's for the shadowboxes you have with the glass in the front correct? :D
Correct. :) I usually get them from Hobby Lobby. I'll take some pictures of the layers tonight so you can see. :)

Correct. :) I usually get them from Hobby Lobby. I'll take some pictures of the layers tonight so you can see. :)

Ah love Hobby Lobby. They have such great coupons. Okay thanks a bunch! Yeah that will probably make it a bit easier to understand. Thanks Merlin. :D

I really love this cork board idea and it probably is not the expensive which is right up my alley. This way my little ones can see the pins on the wall whenever they want but they will be set high enough where only Mommy(Me) can handle them if need be.

I am slowing putting some of my pins in shadow boxes. I have some on canvas. I recently found 2 shadow boxes with thin cork already built in. I am currently looking for more of these without luck.

I use Scrap Booking paper (so all sorts of different colors and styles) over the cork. I would love to post some pictures of the my completed shadow boxes, but somehow currently I am unable to post attachments. :-(

You have the pins actually touch the glass? I thought shadowboxes have space in between the glass and the back or is there no more space because of the filler material? I've been looking into shadowboxes as well, but the ones I've seen at Michaels are all pretty deep (like 1"?).

I have a mixture of frames , standard frames are absolutely fine for pins that aren't multi-layered (occasionally I need to reinforce the back so it holds but not too often) . Box frames are much better for the multi-layered ones or just plain wider ones .
I've seen people use just the frame and remove the glass altogether , not an option for me (I'm allergic to house dust!) But that looks pretty good sometimes .
I'm also focusing more on the thin plastic rather than glass frames , because they're lighter and have a bit more flexibility :)

I have a mixture of frames , standard frames are absolutely fine for pins that aren't multi-layered (occasionally I need to reinforce the back so it holds but not too often) . Box frames are much better for the multi-layered ones or just plain wider ones .
I've seen people use just the frame and remove the glass altogether , not an option for me (I'm allergic to house dust!) But that looks pretty good sometimes .
I'm also focusing more on the thin plastic rather than glass frames , because they're lighter and have a bit more flexibility :)

That makes sense. I've seen your displays they are really neat. Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I will use the large framed cork board for the Elliot pins because I think it will go well will the Disney section of our basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back