• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Black Lights and Magnetism - A Long History (and what I discovered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Lights and Magnetism - A Long History (and what I discovered)
Seems very inconclusive with peoples mixed results but interesting none the less :) will have to find a black light and try my known scrappers/fakes.

Yep, me too! This has been a fascinating discussion. I will be ordering my black light this weekend, as I have a pile of HM and other pins I traded for off of CM lanyards when I was still a pin trading newbie several years ago...I didn't find out about scrappers until a short time later, so I've held on to the pins, not wanting to trade them away to anyone else. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Last edited:
I took a look over my WDW HM/cast lanyards. Like the DL ones, lots of the older ones glow. I didn't really start collecting these until the 3rd group. I have a handful of the 1st and 2nd series and they were reactive to the UV. WDW HM's though, are problematic. Several of the series, contain only one color. The decals, the Disney bears, the character outline series, etc. One Disney bear, because he smiled had a little bit or red tongue reacted, but the rest of these single color pins did not. I don't suspect bad pins, I suspect that that particular color of enamel did not have the additive. Last year's pennants were also one color, but each one different. While most of them did react, one did not, one was not a strong reaction. I don't know if that is indicative of bad pin, or just a color with no additive. I plan on taking the penlight with me to look at my Dad's collection in May. But single color pins are in need of further testing.

Last edited:
Hope, are you referring to this series? I have a bunch of these to go on the boy's lanyards on our next trip.

pin57927

Pin 57927: WDW - Hidden Mickey 2007 Series 2 - Disney Bear Looking Over Shoulder

Yes, that is one of the series that did not. When you get your black light, you can check to see if any of them glow. I keep checking, and sometimes I think it does react, but it is not a strong glow like you get with the reds & greens. But then other times I think it's just the pin being illuminated by the small bit of light. So that's why I wish we could do a pin-by-pin comparison :)

just thought id add to more confusion or help depending on your point of view :) I have now tested in a dark room with a standard blacklight (tube type small) that you can get at spencers and halloween stores . of about 470 i had about 190 that didnt react or glow ! well today I went to my local Ace hardware and got a 9 led blacklight for about $10 and wholly Cr@p about 90 of those that didnt react lit up like the 4th of july! :) just thought id share .. i know there are many uv wavelenghs and such and this little light seems pretty bright so dont know if that matters or not :) the difference was so great .. some that didnt appear to react at all now look as if they are completely covered in different colors no less :) ive taken some photos but i dont have the greatest luck uploading :) anyway back to your regularly scheduled internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back