Calling all Disney World vacationers, need help planning!

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Disneychildwithin, May 7, 2017.

1. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0

Bless you, going in July! Please please please bring sunscreen and slather yourself with it. I see so many people (and little kids) looking like boiled lobsters at Disney. Hats and sunglasses too. For everyone. that all said, mainly becuase it's a huge pet peeve of mine, to see baked babies. (I'm super fair and know sunburns).

Anyway, onto the fun stuff. Yes, All Stars has mini fridges and nukers. I stay there and Pop because we are cheap, heck when we stay at Motel 6 sometimes. But, like I said, we cheap. Good thing about staying on property is no parking fee for the car. If you stay off property you're going to have to pay the $20+ parking each day. You'll have to price it all out. BTW, the food at Pop and All Stars isn't bad. Not Victoria and Albert, but decent. And easy. Epcot is still better (assuming you have park hopper and want to go back to Epcot for munchies)

Its not too late for magic bands. If anything, if you stay on property they'll be waiting for you at check in. Make sure you put names in them too, I lost one and got it back because, yes Mr. Kind CM, it's the pink one with Patricia imprinted on it. If you're not staying on property, you won't get them unless you buy them separately either in park or at Springs. I personally refuse to pay for a magic band since I have from my AP.

Decide what's important at each park. Get those fast passes as son as you can (like right after you book on property or exactly 30 days out). I'm not one for war planning my trips to WDW since I go frequently, you may want to have a better plan than just showing up.

So, July. I keep mentioning on property. It's gonna be hot. See the above notes about sunscreen. You have a munchkin. Staying on property means you can avoid the nasty heat of midday and the crowds of folks who can't leave, rest and come back later.

2. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    479   0   0

I would normally have said rent DVC points, but you would need a 2 bedroom for 6 people (studios and one bedrooms are 5 people max) and that is very pricey!

3. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

It's also hard to get those last minute. Most book up 6 months - 12 months in advance.

4. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    479   0   0

11 months is the max, but yes. I am fortunate to know a few DVC owners so we are able to rent their points directly from them when we want to go to WDW.

5. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Nice! My friends I travel to the parks with always use the DVC points and have people they work with. They're also planners and I'm more spontaneous so its usually POP Century for me! LOL

6. speedwaystar1

speedwaystar1 UK Disney Fan

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

I just checked out Pop Century , I may one day get back to WDW after all . Much cheaper than I'd been quoted previously . It'll still require a lot of saving but doable :)

7. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    479   0   0

I met them all online the first time I was renting points 6-7 years ago. I've referred a few DPF'ers to at least one or two of them as well.

8. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

Years ago, when my kids were young (2 yrs & 8 yrs), my husband had a conference at WDW. We stayed at PO Riverside. The reason I mention this is because we brought my mother-in-law with us to help with the kids during the day when hubbie was busy. There were 5 of us in the room - 3 adults and 2 kids. We had two double beds and a fold-away bed on the floor. It was a little tight but all we did was sleep there so it worked.

We've had bigger rooms but they were at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. They were pricey.

9. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    479   0   0

There appears to be a spring room discount offer at WDW during the time period that you will be going, so that is good:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/summertime-room/

For discounts on tickets, make sure to purchase them before you get there so you can make the fastpasses. Another good option is Undercover Tourist (their prices include tax).

Information re: hotels that can sleep 5 guests:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/high-room-occupancy-resorts/

Good resource:
    http://wdwprepschool.com/resorts-for-families-of-5-at-disney-world-from-least-to-most-expensive/

It might be worthwhile to look into whether it might be cost-effective for one of you to get the cheapest annual passport that comes with the memory maker (that costs $150 by itself). Then, there might be better discounts for the rooms.

I'll come back with more ideas.

10. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0

Actually ... I'm going to be the total renegade here and say that since you're DRIVING and will have your own car, if ONE member of your party has an annual pass, you'd get the PhotoPass included AND you get free parking at all the parks. Which would give you the option of skipping the transportation system and going places on your schedule, not the bus's.

You could even say fluff staying on property and look around for less expensive lodging in the area.

There are a million reasons you might not want to go this route, but I'm putting it out there. This thread has made me realize anew how freakin' lucky I am that my BFF's mom is an owner at Bonnet Creek (timeshare). She also prefers to drive down (from NJ) and have her own car. Granted, we're always a party of adults and not trying to shuttle kids--but we have zero stress because BFF's mom is also an Annual Passholder (she gets down to Orlando at least twice on each annual pass, making it worth it), and the free parking comes in handy. We drive wherever we want to go (because none of us minds driving) and use the transportation system when we want to park-hop from MK to Epcot, or make the resort loop to go shopping or whatever. Plus, when we went last December, we took every photo opportunity we wanted to, because if she was the one who tapped her Magic Band, we got the photos free (Annual Passholder perk). There are pictures of me meeting Alice, and my friend's mom wasn't even in them, but nobody cared.

If nothing else, you might want to investigate the perks of an Annual Pass for one person in your party. It's expensive, but the "benefits" might actually save you money in the long run, depending on what you want to do!

Edit: Merchandise and dining discounts. Another perk of having an Annual Pass. You can save, like, 20% on merch in a lot of places. Needless to say, BFF's mom made a LOT of purchases, and I just kept handing her cash, ha ha ha.

2nd Edit: You use the Annual Pass as a means of convincing Hubby to go back again within a year, with or without the kids. Ha ha ha. "But honey, we've already got one park pass paid for!"

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  11. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

I'm actually getting kind of disheartened...it's so much more expensive than I thought. I have 4 kids and wanted to take my mom too so that would make 7 people...we don't need a big room, we'll squeeze into one just fine! lol

12. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

For 1 or 7, Disney ain't cheap. And with all the up-charges they keep adding, it's only getting worse. My friend and I were joking they'll soon be charging us to use the bathroom! LOL

13. Kiragigi

Kiragigi Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

With a car I would stay off property. They charge you a very hefty premium for staying onsite.
    In the summer it's Africa hot, so you'll want a nice pool or spend a lot of time at the water parks.
    When he have gone with extended family we have stayed at the Reunion Resort. Its reallllllllllllly nice and very affordable-- 2 and 3 bed condos with kitchens. Great pool with fun stuff for little kids and waterslide for big kids. I think there's even a little lazy river. And resort activities too. The downside is that it's about a 20 min drive to WDW. But since the water park parking lots are (or used to be) free and its so hot we only go to the big 4 one or two times in the summer.
    I'd try and book a special meal for your birthday girl on property at one of the hotels. Maybe a character meal? You can park for three or four hours for free at the hotels with a dining reservation, so for our kiddos birthdays we try and book a meal at one of the Magic Kingdom resorts then ride the monorail around. My kids are 13 and 8 and still love doing that. Hope this helps!

14. Kiragigi

Kiragigi Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

FYI I just went to their website (reunionresort.com) and typed in 4 adults and 3 kids from July 3-10 and a 2 bedroom villa (sleeps your whole clan) is $217/ night. I think that's pretty awesome for the number of people you want to bring!Good luck!

15. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    479   0   0

Ok. I'll be back to post more thoughts. I didn't realize you were driving. Since you are, then I suggest going off-site and renting a house with a pool.

There are a lot that you can get for $1000/week.

I'll have some more money saving ideas later but question, is anyone in your group retired or active military?

16. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

No military, just my mom but I don't think their are any benefits for senior citizens...
    As of right now I know we'd like to eat at be our guest, any other recommendations for dining? I'm trying to see if it makes sense to get the dining plan or just pay out of pocket, but a lot depends on where we'd eat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

17. theoucharis

theoucharis Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

I would recommend making dining reservations as soon as you have dates on which parks you want to go to because the most popular restaurants will already be booked. We are planning to go in Nov and Be Our Guest is already fully booked. You can always cancel several days in advance without any penalty, if you change your mind, but if you decide last minute, there may br no availability.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

18. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Be Our Guest books as soon as the reservation window opens. That said, keep checking for reservations the day before or day of because people will cancel.

19. theoucharis

theoucharis Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Do you know what time the reservations window opens? I know it is 180 days out, but what time in the morning? Thanks!

20. FoolishMortal71

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

7:00 am (ET)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  21. theoucharis

theoucharis Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Thank you!

22. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

That one I'm working on, just need to know where else or if we're safe just picking places as we're there...basically just to eat.

23. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

OMG it's happening!
    Thanks to jaac98 for sending me my first lanyard and to kiragigi for helping me fill it! Starting the drive down tomorrow, any last minute recommendations are welcome![​IMG]

24. theoucharis

theoucharis Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Have a great trip, Lucy

25. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Thank you! My excitement rivals or even supersedes that of my kiddos. lol We'll be staying at the Pop Century, it'll be our first time back in 11 years and first time ever staying onsite!