• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Can triangle/line patterns on some backs show authenticity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can triangle/line patterns on some backs show authenticity?

Geoff

Almost >< A DPF Charter Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Yesterday my wife and I were out late in front of Little Green Men trading pins at one of the tables, and three separate times someone came up with a big bag of pins in a ziplock baggie. After cringing/rolling our eyes, we took a look at them and very politely very carefully explained to them that their pins were fakes, and told them about the things we had learned, about scrappers vs. fakes and borders from DisneyDan, and the fact that a lot of fakes are a lot thinner (compared to the identical but real pin), or have very rough edges, misspellings, etc. They were very sad, and one couple actually got mad at us for not trading with them. I'm going to have to make and hand out flyers to people about this, I swear. Anyway, I digress.

The point is, while looking last night, my wife Jessica noticed something about a couple of hidden mickey pins we were looking at, and we wanted to see if anyone can see the same thing or has noticed the difference. I read somewhere that sometimes when fakes are made, they take a mold of the front and back of a real pin to create their molds from, but when that happens they lose about 10% of the detail from the pin. Most of the time, fakes are flat 2D pins and it does not make as much difference on the front, but it shows on the back. Sometimes the ODPT seal is fuzzy or what not, but in particular, we saw an interesting pattern on a couple of pins that we purchased in the store, and the more we looked at hidden mickeys in our collection, the more we started to see this. Take a look:

Triangles.jpg

This is a back of a good pin we bought in a pack. Take a look at the box that says "HIdden Mickey Pin 1 of 6" as well as inside the ears. Here it is as more of a close up:

Trianglescloseup.jpg

If you look close, you can see a very interesting pattern comprised of vertical lines accompanied by two triangles on the right and left. Also, there is definitely a series of nested ovals inside the ears on the seal if you look real close. When we compared this to pins that we KNEW were fakes (i.e. came out of various eBay baggies people had), we definitely noticed this pattern was MISSING! The lines are so faint and detailed, they really seem like they could be something lost in the mold reproduction process mentioned above.

Anyone out there agree? Could someone take a look at a few pins, maybe fakes versus known genuine pins, and see if this is the case? The only pins I can really find these on are hidden mickeys, 2008 and younger, but if I can help find a way to identify a real hidden mickey pin from the 80% plus fakes/scrappers floating around the park, I might just be able to sleep a little better at night.

Tell me what you think!!!

This is really interesting Geoff! I'm at work now, but will definitely start checking the ones I have when I get home. Will let you know what I find. You just might be on to something here! :bigthumb:

Okay, been meaning to get to this but have been slammed with both work and the holidays. Finally got a chance to look into this.

I went through my rather lean collection of Hidden Mickey pins and here is what I found.

I have the following pins, which I purchased at the pin stations inside the park (so I know they are legit): (from 2008) 62714, 62715, 62717, 62718, 62719, (from 2010) 77196, 77198, 77201, 77203, 77204. None of these had the triangle and line patterns. All were smooth, as were the ears. I took a pic of the back of this pin to illustrate:
HMfront.jpg

HMback.jpg

So it appears only some of the pins have this pattern. Unfortunately, this means that this is only going to be a reliable method for spotting fakes on those pins. I'm disappointed that this isn't on all of the pins. :(

Has anyone else looked at their pins to see if this pattern is present? Perhaps we can make a list of which pins do, and at least have a tool we can use for spotting fakes for those pins.

Last edited:
That's okay Geoff. We really need to look at everything we can to help spot the fakes. It was a great observation! :bigthumb:

Can you list the pins that you did notice this pattern on? At least then we can have a tool to help spot fakes for those pins. I really wish Disney would do this on all their pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back