• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Caution To Doll Collectors Buying Off eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caution To Doll Collectors Buying Off eBay
I'd make a post on the doll collector FB pages as well to say how crappy their response was. Even if they don't agree with you, there's a nicer way to say it!

I don't think I will buy another doll off ebay ever. I got anxious and bought a d23 once set from someone, and they shipped them in a flimsy box with bubble wrap, surprise surprise when I opened them they were totally smashed. When I emailed the seller (who also works for one of the disney personal shopper companies) she was like how did that happen? These people don't care about anything but the $$$

I don't think I will buy another doll off ebay ever. I got anxious and bought a d23 once set from someone, and they shipped them in a flimsy box with bubble wrap, surprise surprise when I opened them they were totally smashed. When I emailed the seller (who also works for one of the disney personal shopper companies) she was like how did that happen? These people don't care about anything but the $$$

I would file a complaint and ask for a refund.

I hope you get a refund!

I have been watching the OUAT dolls on ebay and have noticed that many of the listings are from the same few sellers and each seller uses the same photos for multiple listings. I even noticed two different sellers using the same exact photos -- so they are either the same person with different accounts or one of them lifted the photos from the other. Another seller has four (!) sets all under the same listing but with only one photo. I wouldn't want to spend over $800 and not even know what I am getting.

It is kind of stupid on the sellers' part because they would be more likely to sell their items if they took the time to take good photos and add more information in their descriptions. I can't even count how many times I've decided NOT to buy something because of bad photos or lack of information.

Last edited:
I hope you get the new jasmine you're bidding on.

I did win her. She arrived today and she's perfect! :drool: Exactly what I wanted in the first place. Here is a picture with the new doll on the left and the first one on the right. I'm still furious with the original seller for switching the dolls but at lease it isn't the worst hair I have seen. I've been looking at other listings and some of the dolls have hair that is really messed up!

Last edited:
It's amazing how such a little thing can make such a difference.

Her head is turned more too in the one with the tight hair.

This may sound a bit crazy but stuff like this (differences in the hair or the way the eyelashes or rhinestones are glued on) always makes me think of the people who make and box these dolls.

This may sound a bit crazy but stuff like this (differences in the hair or the way the eyelashes or rhinestones are glued on) always makes me think of the people who make and box these dolls.

I was thinking about that too! Maybe the differences are just based on the person, or maybe they were rushed or something. I couldn't tell how different the hair was until this more recent pic, now I can really understand the frustration!

I was thinking about that too! Maybe the differences are just based on the person, or maybe they were rushed or something. I couldn't tell how different the hair was until this more recent pic, now I can really understand the frustration!

Yeah, you can tell by the dolls how some people are more detailed or meticulous while others don't care as much or else maybe they were just having a bad day. Even though the dolls are mass produced, there is still evidence of the human hand in them.

Yeah, you can tell by the dolls how some people are more detailed or meticulous while others don't care as much or else maybe they were just having a bad day. Even though the dolls are mass produced, there is still evidence of the human hand in them.

This is one of my favorite reasons for collecting these dolls. Yes they say "Made in China" on the box, but each one is still a little different from all the others just based on the people who glued on the rhinestones and twisted the hair. :) They really are works of art.

And erudolf I am so happy you got a Jasmine with the better twist! I didn't realize how much of a difference it was until I saw them both side by side. Congratulations!

I know how you feel.
My first LE was Coronation Elsa. I bought her and Snow Gear Anna from a seller who was very nice and offered a payment plan. He sold her at eBay but when he didn't I bought it without eBay. There was no damage shown on the pics.
When I received her the left side of the plastic cover had a huge dent of bending. (Probably happened when he put the cover back on.

I am still so disappointed every time I see her so I bought an empty box at eBay. I asked the seller in advance if the plastic cover was undamaged and whe I received it it had many tiny scratches on the front cover (it was not cheap). You can't see them on the pics only in hand.

I just don't know what to do cause where I live there are no dolls I can look at in person and we don't have Disney stores either so every order is a surprise:(

I am still so disappointed every time I see her so I bought an empty box at eBay. I asked the seller in advance if the plastic cover was undamaged and whe I received it it had many tiny scratches on the front cover (it was not cheap). You can't see them on the pics only in hand.

I just don't know what to do cause where I live there are no dolls I can look at in person and we don't have Disney stores either so every order is a surprise:(

How long ago was that? You should be able to file a complaint and get your money back if too much time hasn't passed since the item was not as described. I've had to do that a couple of times. I order a ton of dolls off Ebay. Most of the time it works out. You just have to be careful most of the time. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle to complain about a minor thing, but most sellers will work with you if you aren't happy, so contact the seller to politely complain first. If that doesn't work then file a claim through Ebay.

I'm not sure about what to do outside of Ebay. If you go through PayPal, or even pay with certain credit cards, you may be able to contact them for assistance if an item is damaged. I don't know... I haven't had to do that. The other option is to contact the seller, even if not bought through Ebay, as some are reputable business people who are willing to make a customer happy, or at least meet you half way. Unfortunately, if that doesn't work, there's just going to be times you aren't happy with what you get. I had a serious problem when Ebay was new back in 2002 with a doll purchase (they were listed NRFB, but clearly were used and damaged) and Ebay did nothing to help back then even though I filed a complaint (they didn't have the money back guarantee then) . I basically lost a couple hundred dollars and had to deal with a very rude seller. They had a good feedback at that time, but I was later contacted buy another buyer that had the same thing happen, but was too scared to leave negative feedback (cause you'd get it too back then). I went several years without buying from Ebay after that, but they've really come all way. So, I can understand how you feel. If you're stuck with something that doesn't make you happy, my advice is to try to sell it (maybe locally to avoid fees) and use the money to get what you really want. You may be out some cash, but in the long run you'll be happier.

I know how you feel.
My first LE was Coronation Elsa. I bought her and Snow Gear Anna from a seller who was very nice and offered a payment plan. He sold her at eBay but when he didn't I bought it without eBay. There was no damage shown on the pics.
When I received her the left side of the plastic cover had a huge dent of bending. (Probably happened when he put the cover back on.

I'm really OCD about my boxes and I can honestly say that none is perfect! I recently dusted my dolls/boxes and the dust left tiny scratchmarks on some of the plastic covers. It's really not worth the hassle, trust me! Just try to enjoy the beautiful dolls :)

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd like to say that my mom has been dealing with eBay for over fifteen years and what you described is definitely against their policy. I say that if you can, keep trying. Call to get different people who are more obliging and helpful, don't just settle with whoever you get over the phone. Even try for a manager. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and there have been some bad cases where my mom would have been burned wrongly if she hadn't tried to get the help you deserve on eBay. For a 10% service fee, you deserve to get FULL coverage and safety when shopping.

Thanks for your advice. I got a small partial refund for the box but that doesn't help me. The scratches don't show well on photos. Anyway I try to think not so much of the packaging anymore. As I have no Disney store in my country I have to order everything only and am forced to arrange with certain small scratches on all my Disney merch. I've given up trying to get the perfect items cause each time I tried it got worse lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back