"Christmas" in Sofia vs Elena, an observation

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by pretty Omi, Dec 18, 2017.

1. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I just needed to pen this out, to a crowd who potentially watches these shows.

So, on Sofia the First, they do not celebrate Christmas, they celebrate Wassalia. It's basically the same thing, but different name. I guessed this might be because the world of Sofia is supposed to resemble our own, but all of the towns and countries have made up names. They resemble certain cultures without actually being called them by name. This gives them some leeway with things.

However, we now have Elena of Avalor, which ties directly into the world of Sofia the first. Sofia is the one who causes Elena to return, and some of the characters that have met Elena come from countries that have also been mentioned on Sofia.
    Elena celebrates "Navidad", which obviously translates to Christmas. But also, her friend Naomi, who hails from another country, tells Elena "Merry Christmas", and says that's what her family celebrates.

Anyhow, I just found it interesting that Sofia doesn't celebrate Christmas, and I could see an attempt to avoid it being named directly, while having the similarities, but then for Elena and crew to just bring it back in seemed funny to me. :p

2. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Looks like your not the only one with that question.

Why not Christmas?

Please note: like most internet forums the comments here are rather trollish but there is some commentary on the background.