D23 Robin Hood Screening - June 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by timeerkat, May 9, 2018.

1. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

SoCal D23 Gold members - there are still tickets available for the Robin Hood screening on the Disney lot on June 23rd!

D23’s Magical Screening Series: Robin Hood on the Lot - D23

EDIT: Ok, I am a weak-willed person, and bit the bullet and signed up for gold membership. I had a $25 merchandise credit that applied to the membership since it was purchased through shopdisney. Now I am crossing my fingers that my membership number is activated in their system before it sells out...

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

Update - by the time my membership activated, tickets sold out (missed them by a day! hahaha) but I was able to sign up for the waitlist. I got an email today saying I was chosen from the waitlist to attend, so I get to go! Whoo!

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  3. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

I was thinking how fun it would be to attend! Congrats Timeerkat. I hope you get a lot of
    great RH pins. :)

4. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

Thanks! I don't know if there will be any pins there, but I hope so! I'm mostly excited to (hopefully) meet Byron Howard and see Robin Hood on the big screen on the Disney lot. And I get to bring my friend who is more into Robin Hood than I even am!

I need to dig it out of storage, but I plan to wear my Robin Hood costume to the screening. (Except for the bow, since I doubt it would be allowed on the studio lot since it's a weapon. Maybe I can find an obviously toy bow in the meantime...)

5. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Tessa already knows it, but I will be there too! They don't usually have pins there for these things, but we all do get a gift, and that gift is usually an art print, or a pin!
    I'm really tempted to try to bring my Bolt art book to see if I can have Byron sign it...

timeerkat likes this.
  6. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    112   0   0

Aren't you a lucky duck! Have fun at the viewing!

7. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Screening was a lot of fun! I finally made it to one of these events super early, and it paid off. We got to sit in the front row middle, next to a bunch of reserved seats. Guess who sat next to me? Byron Howard. We didn't get to talk, just a polite nod of acknowledgement, but that was enough for me haha. He didn't stay for the full film either, so no chance to talk after the film.
    There was a lovely presentation before the film from Byron, Fox Carney fromt Disney’s Animation Research Library, and historian Paula Sigman. They talked about how the Robin Hood film came to be, and also some history on other foxes in Disney history, including Reynard the fox, a fox who was a foe for Chantecler the rooster, but sadly that film has never made it to the screen (yet). They also went full circle and talked about how this film influenced Zootopia.
    Something I learned and had never noticed on my own, is that this film was influenced by the popularity of Western movies again. Once they said this, it all made sense, especially considering the voice cast, Roger Miller, Andy Devine, and Pat Buttram, especially. Also the general sound of the soundtrack.
    Our parting gift was this lovely art print featuring art by Byron himself (he's a big RH fanboy if you didn't know)
    (Not my photo, but shows off the lovely print)
    [​IMG]
    They did tell us this gift was exclusive to the LA event only, and that the Orlando event will be receiving something else.

I always enjoy these events, but do sometimes wish there was just a little more to them. If anyone is curious the D23 screenings are usually just a showing of a film, accompanied with a small presentation before show time. They do provide us with popcorn and a water which is nice, and it's a great opportunity to see some classic films on the big screen again. I'm just always sad when it's over and there's nothing else to do but go home :p

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    theoucharis and watzshakinbacon like this.