• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Day 1 Trading at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 1 Trading at WDW

breagirl

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
UPDATE FURTHER DOWN

Hey guys,

We've had a great first day here at WDW and I wanted to update you guys on my experience with trading so far. We got to Hollywood Studios in time for rope drop, so we were able to hit a lot of the cm's right as they came on (including managers). I think in total I traded about 16 pins today. The CM's mainly had hidden mickeys and other pins from starter collections on their lanyards. I didn't see anything hard to find that I couldn't live without. Spiffie had told me about a new set that cm's just got and she is right, they are nice and heavy pins. I think there are 7 pins in the set, and I already found 3 of them today. I just went through all the pins I got today and 3 are definitely scrappers :( The only other negative is that with the weather, all the cm's are wearing coats and several of them seem bothered by the fact that they had to open their coat or take off their gloves to trade. We also have hit Downtown Disney for ice cream and I had a great trading experience with two adorable little boys in the pin shop. They picked out two pins that they liked and I told them to give me whatever. I was shocked that they gave me two older limited edition pins and tried to talk them into giving me something not so great, but they were set on giving us those two pins. I also found two little girls on our bus today who have just started trading and I gave them each a vinylmation pin. You would have thought I gave them the moon.

If anyone else needs anything, let me know :) So far, I have found everyone's ISO list. They do NOT have reveal/conceal princess sets and Spiffie, no Figment sets that I have seen. I was surprised to still see Trade City merchandise at DTD pin traders.

That's it for now, we are doing Epcot tomorrow so I'll try to report on my experience there :)

Last edited:
Brea,

There are 8 pins in that new set!

Thanks for the report! Keep them coming!

Sorry for my delay in updating but here's a quick overview on day 2 and 3...

Day 2, DH woke up and ran the half marathon and finished in 1 hour 57 minutes which put him in 2,900 place out of 27,000 runners. Very good (IMO) considering it was his first 1/2 marathon.

We came back to the room, slept (we had to be up at 2am for the marathon) and then headed to Epcot. I have personally never been to a pin trading night/convention nor had I ever sat up at one of the tables, but I was going to do it! I was worried about all the "sharks" but we were very happy to find it was just us and one other older couple who were very easy to trade with. Within minutes, we had tons of people around our books and it was crazy, but fun. I got some awesome pins in trade with the older couple, but not anything to die for from the park traders. I did however have a not so lovely exchange with someone who is supposed to be a member here. I will write that one up in detail, but let's just say that after they left, I realized they had given me 9 scrappers in exchange for some pretty awesome pins. Honestly though, that was my only negative experience. In terms of trading with cast members, I saw a lot more scrappers that day. Overall, we traded about 60 pins on Saturday so we were very pleased.

Yesterday, we got to Animal Kingdom at rope drop and it was like we had the park to ourselves. The full marathon was going on and they were running through the park, but it wasn't bad at all and it was very impressive to see all those runners. We did 5 rides in an hour that's how empty the park was. We did lots of pin trading (35 to be exact) with cast members and decided to stop for hot cocoa on our way out. As I went to take a sip, I didn't realize the person that prepared had not put the lid on all the way and it went down my arm, blistering my skin. After a short stint in the first aid station, we were on our way and headed to the room to gather pins. We then went back to Epcot and man, the trading was awesome!! We were the only ones for a while set up and then some fellow board members showed up (who were awesome!!) I got some great pins, traded lots of great pins and made lots of people happy (which makes me happy!) After that we did the 3 pin boards at Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Contemporary (so so pins), dinner, and then headed home.

Now, we are off to Magic Kingdom for rope drop! I am hoping we get to meet Scoop and trade about 20 more pins. My goal was 100 pins in 4 days and we have definitely met that challenge. If you are looking for any pins I can buy here, feel free to email me at breagirl@aol.com and I'll be happy to pick them up this morning. Wish me luck today! I'll post my final update tomorrow! Oh, and Spiffie, I did get the full set of 8 and they are really cute!

Brea,

I am so glad you are having a great time!! And WOW for your husband to finish so well! I have a friend who went down and ran both the half and the full and she is having a great time, too!

Enjoy your time - we are snowed in here! UGH!

Brea.. I know I wasn't dreaming... you didn't call me back! Call me! I am so happy for you... I can't wait for you to post about the rest of your day tomorrow!!!!!!! I am so jealous!!!! Can't wait to actually see all your pins too!

Brea, wow! you seem to be having a blast(besides the coco) but seems like the trading is good, I just wish that you wcould look at the back of a pin and say ...ummm no thanks. BUT I know that is NOT how it works. I hope you have fun, can't wait to read up when you post again!

Well, we are home...flew in last night to SNOW and freezing temps. Wow, what a welcome. Kids are out of school which I am excited about because I get to spend the whole day with them and tell them about our trip.

Ok, final day was Magic Kingdom. We got there right as they opened the park (missed the opening ceremony) and decided we would head straight for Space Mountain, get a FP, ride, and then come back to main street and look for Scoop.

I should stop right there and brag on my DH. He is not a pin trader. He's doesn't grumble about it or anything, just doesn't get into it. This sweet man wore a lanyard the whole trip (except when he was running) and I swear he made more trades than I did. Especially at Epcot, I would ask him "are you sure you're ok with this" and he kept telling me he loved to see me light up when I was trading. Such a great guy.

I should also stop and tell you that I have never met Scoop. In five trips to WDW in the last four years, he has never been there. I always ask and we just time our days wrong I guess. Anyway, I had read that Monday mornings were the best time to find him and I was determined.

As we walked through the tunnel and onto Main Street heading toward Space Mountain, I look over and there's Scoop. I about died. I grabbed DH and said, "do you care if I go ahead and meet him" He, of course, didn't care. Scoop was talking to another family and when he finished he started to walk off and I called after him. He walked up to us and I told him, "I have been dying to meet you for 4 years, I'm a pin collector!" He was SOOOO nice, hugged me, took a pic with me and then asked what I collected. I told him Princess and the Frog was our main collection and he said he didn't think he had any of those, but did I want to see his lanyard and trade. He pulled the longest lanyard I have ever seen out of his bag and Jonathan and I both had the biggest smiles on my face. I told him I had brought him a limited edition Princess and the Frog pin to trade and I picked a pin that was just pretty to me, and as he took it off, he said "good pic, you just got an AP pin." DH picked a pin and I thought our time with Scoop was over. Here's the pin I picked:
Pin 79784: Disney's Pete's Dragon - Elliott

That's when he said, "well since you have been waiting 4 years to meet me, I have a gift for you" and he pulls out this set from his bag:
Pin 74071: WDW - Epcot World Showcase Pin Set
and then he tells me it's an AP set! Ok, I about died. Seriously. I hugged him again, thanked him, and then he asked if he could sign it (I seriously wasn't thinking straight to even ask him)

From there, I floated down main street (literally, I don't think my feet touched the ground for an hour) and we did a bunch of rides and traded both vinylmations and pins. I will tell you that I noticed the most scrappers in this park. It seemed like almost every cast members lanyards had junk on them except for the managers. Even the pin books at customer service and the bakery didn't have anything great. We did our best trading at the little shop outside of Splash Mountian. The ride is closed for refurb so I guess no one goes into that shop, but we got a couple of LE's and a few older pins in there.

We haven't counted yet, but I think we traded about 200 pins in total. It was awesome. Plus, we still did everything we planned on doing which was really cool. My pin books are a wreck and it's definitely going to take some time to update pinpics :) I actually received several trade requests while we were gone, so I'm excited to continue the trading from home!

THANKS for reading if you made it this far...I will be doing a seperate post about the lovely person that gave me all the scrappers at Epcot.

Brea,

It sounds like you had an awesome time! I have met and traded with Scoop once, and I have to say that it was one of the highlights of trading for me! I really didn't care about the pin I got, just to talk to him and laugh with him was great. He is a very personable guy! LOVE HIM!

We are snowed in here today, too! I hope you have a great day with your kids!

Stacey

Looks like you had an awesome time! We must have just missed you, we left on Saturday. We did a little trading with CMs, but nothing great. We did manage to complete our set of 40th anniversary mystery pins, so overall we had a great time. We did see many people at the MK on Saturday wearing their Donald metals, they looked really cool!

Very nice, I wish I had more time to talk with Scoop but I felt guilty he said he was in a rush (for him to say that, he had to have been in a hurry, lol). It's great you had so much time to talk and trade with him!

I got 51512 and 76642 when I met Scoop last trip, my my 2 kids got some great ones too. He was really nice and talked loud so that all the kids around us heard him and came up to trade. He even remembered my sons name a couple days later!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back