• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Designer Princess dolls- has anyone opened theirs?

Are you taking the dolls out of the Display case?

• Yes, They are so cute that I WILL be taking mines out!

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • No, They are expensive!! I'll be keeping them sealed for sale value in years to come.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • They're for my child, so yes, we will be taking them out of the display case.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I'm not getting the dolls, they're too ugly.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I'm not getting the dolls, they're too expensive.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Why did they release this set??

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip Shivatopia. I've thought about ironing out the skirts of some of my deboxed dolls, but have been afraid of scorching them. For sure a wrinkle free skirt would look much better on them. And does ironing also make the holes caused by the plastic shipping ties less noticeable?

The fabric is pretty sturdy, so as long as you don't use a really hot setting on the iron, the fabric should not burn. For the first few times, you may want to get some other fabric like muslin to layer between the doll's dress and the iron until you are comfortable with the process (also, almost every iron is different, so just be careful and start slow). It also does not take very long to smooth out satin fabric. With my iron, a quick swipe is usually enough (we're talking a few seconds at most). Also, start with the lowest setting and if it does not smooth out the fabric, bump it up one level at a time until you get the desired result. I've also used steam from the iron on satin charmeuse fabric before and it did not damage it. As for the holes made from those little white plastic "T"-tip restraints, ironing does reduce their visibility on the fabric somewhat. With the Snow White doll I bought from you, it worked like a charm. I do also advise that you take the dress off of the doll to iron it. It makes it easier to turn it inside out and lay the skirt's fabric flat on the ironing board (and of course, you will want to use one to avoid putting in new wrinkles in the fabric from the iron).

Last edited:
Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing

Thanks again for your tips, Shivatopia.

As you are about to see, my Designer Aurora, after deboxing, will need quite a bit of work ironing out the rear of her skirt to make it look as nice as the front. So as you requested, here is the deboxing of Designer Aurora. To be followed by photos of her posing fully deboxed. And once again, I appreciate her much more now that I have deboxed her, and see all the effort made in the details of designing and manufacturing her and her outfit.

Review of Designer Aurora
She was released by the Disney Store on October 17-18, 2011, in an edition size of 4000 worldwide. I bought mine from a reseller, as I missed getting her on the initial release. She is #900 of 4000.

She is an 11 1/2'' collector's fashion doll in a display case with a clear acrylic top, plastic base with gold filigree and gold reflective nameplate, a built-in doll stand, and a certificate of authenticity.

She is in a modern version of her iconic deep pink gown, with a 2-ply satin skirt, with a pearl and rhinestone encrusted floral design lacey belt, golden rhinestones in the bodice, and white satin collar-like shoulder straps. For accessories, she has long white satin gloves, jeweled gold necklace and tiara, and gold rhinestone stud earrings.

She has her golden blonde hair wrapped in a large bun, with bangs in a tight curl over her forehead. She has rooted eyelashes, violet eyes, bright pink eyeshadow and lips. Her face mold is same as her sister Designer Princesses Cinderella, Ariel and Belle, although due to differing makeup and eyes, they each have their own distinctive look.

Under her dress she has a pink satin underskirt, then a 2-ply full length tulle petticoat, and is wearing dark pink high heeled shoes. She also has a waist joint that enables her top to swivel 360 degrees. On her back, above her waist, is her product code and serial number. Of course, seeing these last hidden features requires that she be deboxed.

Although Aurora's petticoat is full length and stiff enough to enable Aurora to stand on her own, she is not fully stable that way. So to put her on display permanently, it is recommended that she be placed on the display stand. Then to keep her dust free, put the acrylic top back on. The cardboard backing is optional - it makes the display case a little more sturdy and dust proof, and holds the certificate of authenticity, but it interferes with viewing her from behind.

Her satin skirt is two layers sewn together at the hemline, to make it heavy and durable yet still very pliable. There is a single ply translucent pink polyester full length underskirt. Then under that is a two ply fine mesh tulle petticoat that is not as stiff as those of some of the other Designer dolls. There is a snap stop when the top of her torso is aligned front and center with her bottom.

Overall, Aurora looks much better freed from all the shipping restraints. Her skirt is fuller and more natural looking, her arms and head aren't constrainted to unnatural positions, and you can now see all around her. I think she has a very pretty face, which is very similar to Cinderella's. They have matching eyelashes, eyebrows, very similar lip colors, and both have updos with giant curly bangs in front. On my doll, her bangs get in the way of seeing the right side (her left) of her face clearly. The hairstyle in general is too severe looking. That and the top of her dress make her look like a crew member of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek. I really like her ability to stand on her own, and the number of layers of her skirts is impressive. I am very glad to have bought her, even despite her high eBay price.

Deboxing Photos

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Boxed - Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Acrylic Top Off - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Acrylic Top Off - Midrange Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Acrylic Top Off - Portrait Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Cardboard Backing Cut Open by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Doll and Spacer Removed From Backing by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Dress Open - Full Back View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Dress Open - Serial Number and Waist Joint - Closeup by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Freed From Spacer - Dress Closed - Back View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Freed From Spacer - Dress Closed - Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxing - Lifting Skirt - Petticoat and Tissue Paper Stuffing by drj1828, on Flickr

Disney Princess Designer Aurora Doll - Deboxed - Free Standing Next To Disassembled Display Case by drj1828, on Flickr

Thanks again, DRJ1828, for the excellent photo essay! And thank you for accommodating my request to unveil Designer Aurora next. Designer Aurora does indeed look better freed from the factory packaging. There has been a lot of discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of Designer Aurora, and you pretty much nailed it on the head with me: she's very pretty, but there was definitely room for improvement on Disney's end. Still, she is definitely a doll worth having. :) Her skirt looks a lot better with the full volume of the fabric freed up, and a quick whisk of an iron can take care of those pesky deep-set wrinkles. Mini rant: her white satin shoulder straps look better from the back than the front! I preferred the squared look of the original Designer sketch more than the final triangular floppy-dog-ear look from the front of the actual doll... I can't wait to finish up my personal OOAK project and share with you guys (I'm just toiling with self-teaching myself the skills of a tailor!). Happy New Year, all!

Thanks again, DRJ1828, for the excellent photo essay! And thank you for accommodating my request to unveil Designer Aurora next. Designer Aurora does indeed look better freed from the factory packaging. There has been a lot of discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of Designer Aurora, and you pretty much nailed it on the head with me: she's very pretty, but there was definitely room for improvement on Disney's end. Still, she is definitely a doll worth having. :) Her skirt looks a lot better with the full volume of the fabric freed up, and a quick whisk of an iron can take care of those pesky deep-set wrinkles. Mini rant: her white satin shoulder straps look better from the back than the front! I preferred the squared look of the original Designer sketch more than the final triangular floppy-dog-ear look from the front of the actual doll... I can't wait to finish up my personal OOAK project and share with you guys (I'm just toiling with self-teaching myself the skills of a tailor!). Happy New Year, all!
You're welcome, Shiva. I didn't notice how much better the shoulder straps look from the back than from the front, until you pointed it out. Happy New Year, everyone!

Wow, I had no idea her skirt was that full! It's very pretty. Great photos as usual. I'm too lazy and scared to debox my dolls. Lol I'll live vicariously through you. ;)

Shiva!!! I can't wait to see your OOAK! :D I have many base dolls ready to go...I just have to get off my butt and do them! New Year's resolution, here I come! Haha

Wow, I had no idea her skirt was that full! It's very pretty. Great photos as usual. I'm too lazy and scared to debox my dolls. Lol I'll live vicariously through you. ;)

Shiva!!! I can't wait to see your OOAK! :D I have many base dolls ready to go...I just have to get off my butt and do them! New Year's resolution, here I come! Haha

I know! I'm also too much of a chicken to debox my Designer Dolls, especially when seeing how tightly locked into the packaging they are! Thank goodness for DRJ1828! These photo essays are awesome!

I also can't wait to show you all my OOAK Designer Aurora! Since I am self-teaching myself everything from pattern drafting to how to use a sewing machine to garment construction and embellishments, it's such a slow process. Right now I am trying to alter the bodice to fit properly on the doll. The different components of the dress are done (pleating the chiffon and securing it onto the bodice front was a real experience in experimentation that actually worked out), so now I just need to work out the fit and then sew all the parts together. I actually learned a lot from studying other dolls' clothes, my mom's sewing book, and even Project Runway! :) I have plans for my own Designer Belle, Jasmine, and Pocahontas as well. Definitely future 2012 projects, but I think they will turn out great.

Thanks, disneycrazee! I love deboxing my dolls and showing them off in their full glory.

I know! I'm also too much of a chicken to debox my Designer Dolls, especially when seeing how tightly locked into the packaging they are! Thank goodness for DRJ1828! These photo essays are awesome!

I also can't wait to show you all my OOAK Designer Aurora! Since I am self-teaching myself everything from pattern drafting to how to use a sewing machine to garment construction and embellishments, it's such a slow process. Right now I am trying to alter the bodice to fit properly on the doll. The different components of the dress are done (pleating the chiffon and securing it onto the bodice front was a real experience in experimentation that actually worked out), so now I just need to work out the fit and then sew all the parts together. I actually learned a lot from studying other dolls' clothes, my mom's sewing book, and even Project Runway! :) I have plans for my own Designer Belle, Jasmine, and Pocahontas as well. Definitely future 2012 projects, but I think they will turn out great.
Thanks, Shiva! I would never attempt to design and make outfits for my dolls. That is way too much work for me, and I have no artistic talent. The most I would do is swap outfits between my dolls. I look forward to seeing how your work with Designer Aurora turns out.

DRJ1828, I just love your photos and reviews. I was never a fan of the Auora doll, but she really does look much better out of the packaging. I think the curl covering her face is a little odd though.
Thanks, BwayGal! I like my Aurora much better freed from her restraints too.

I have been very tempted to take mine out. I have indeed opened them for pictures (in terms of taking the lid off), but I have not actually removed anything from the dolls. I think the idea of putting the princes in with them is adorable! If I had to choose which ones I would open, it would likely be Aurora and Snow White. I don't ever, ever plan on selling them - I suppose I'm just scared that I might need to keep them like that for an emergency. I did manage to get the whole set, and it's so tempting to just take them out!

Designer Cinderella certainly does look very good in the Wedding gown. I think her bigger hair and fancier makeup work wonderfully with the wedding concept. The Wedding gown is marvelous. I'm glad I bought one. Unfortunately, the Once Upon A Wedding Cinderella doll in the Designer gown looks more like a Barbie than ever. :(

Designer and Wedding Ariels Swapping Outfits

As I did with my Designer and Wedding Cinderella dolls, I've swapped the outfits of my Designer Ariel and Once Upon a Wedding Ariel dolls. Here are before and after photos, and then some photos of Designer Ariel in a wedding dress by herself.

Designer and Wedding Ariels - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer and Wedding Ariels' Outfits by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer and Wedding Ariels have Swapped Outfits - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Midrange Front View #1 by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Closeup Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Midrange Right Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Rear View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Midrange Left Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Wedding Bride Ariel Doll - Closeup Left Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

As I did with my Designer and Wedding Cinderella dolls, I've swapped the outfits of my Designer Ariel and Once Upon a Wedding Ariel dolls. Here are before and after photos, and then some photos of Designer Ariel in a wedding dress by herself.

Designer and Wedding Ariels have Swapped Outfits - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Compared to the Designer Cinderella and Once Upon A Wedding Cinderella swap, I think the Ariel swap is much more successful. Like with Cinderella, the Designer doll in the Wedding gown looks awesome. Where they differ, however, is that the Wedding Ariel doll in the Designer gown looks fabulous, too. She lacks the dramatic flair of the Designer doll, but she really looks like Ariel: a very sweet Ariel, reminiscent of the scene at the end of The Little Mermaid where King Triton turns her human again in order to be with Prince Eric. :) I hope TDS does re-release Once Upon A Wedding Ariel, so I can buy one.

Compared to the Designer Cinderella and Once Upon A Wedding Cinderella swap, I think the Ariel swap is much more successful. Like with Cinderella, the Designer doll in the Wedding gown looks awesome. Where they differ, however, is that the Wedding Ariel doll in the Designer gown looks fabulous, too. She lacks the dramatic flair of the Designer doll, but she really looks like Ariel: a very sweet Ariel, reminiscent of the scene at the end of The Little Mermaid where King Triton turns her human again in order to be with Prince Eric. :) I hope TDS does re-release Once Upon A Wedding Ariel, so I can buy one.
I totally agree with you. Wedding Ariel in the Designer dress looks as though she just stepped out of the ocean and into the gown. She might even have her tail underneath, or perhaps her tail magically transformed into the dress. And seeing all her hair with the veil removed makes her look so much closer to the movie Ariel than she did before.

I actually splurged and got myself a second Aurora and a second Snow White just for the purpose of opening. Were she not so expensive, I would pick up another Ariel. While Aurora is one of my least favorite Designer Dolls, she is my favorite princess so I could not say no to it ): (I managed to talk the seller down to $90, and will be picking her up on Sunday. Got the Snow White for $105, shipping included). I will definitely be using the wonderful guides up here by DRJ for opening them :)

I would really love to get my 3 favourite princesses of these dolls Snow White, Cinderella & Rapunzel. But ebay prices still seem quite steep here in the UK :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back