• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion
I don't know if your us or uk but I seen some today on the uk eBay for about £90 if I remember check it out

So I got my Disney Store online order with the new Gaston doll, and he's actually not so bad after all. His arms are definitely not muscular enough, but they actually tried to bulk him up in the chest and back area by padding his tunic! His chest still is not quite the right proportion, but his upper back looks pretty good. Forgive the orangey tone in the pictures of his tunic; it really is red, but the house lighting and my camera turned it more orangey. His breeches are a made of a stretchy, kind of shiny material, which is a bit of an odd choice, as they could have used a matte material instead. I would have placed his belt lower on his body, too.

His head sculpt is very good. Of the individually sold villain Disney Store play dolls, I think he is the most successful. I would put the quality of his head sculpt up there with the Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella head sculpts in terms of really capturing the look and spirit of the character. They did not neglect the fact that he has a ponytail, even though he does not have rooted doll hair. My one comment would be that his chin is perhaps a tad bit too exaggerated, much in the way that the Lady Tremaine doll's head is a bit too big. Overall, I do like the Gaston doll, and I recommend him for anyone's Disney Villain or Beauty and the Beast doll collection, despite his arms not being muscular enough.

Disney Store Gaston Doll 2013 - 01
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Disney Store Gaston Doll 2013 - 02
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Disney Store Gaston Doll 2013 - 03
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Disney Store Gaston Doll 2013 - 05 by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Disney Store Gaston Doll 2013 - 06
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

Disney Store Gaston Doll 2013 - 07 by Shivatopia, on Flickr

I love his fake tan :lol: he'd really benefit from a more stout taller body. It's interesting DS didn't follow the eyebrow mould with the paintwork too.

Great review Shiva, as per usual ;-) Shame about the not so muscular arms, but overall I would call him a success too. Strange they opted for a 'prince' body sculp while they could have used the sculp of Genie or Wreck it Ralph which, with a few alterations, would have been better suited I personally think. Oh well trial and error, I'm sure in the years to come Disney will keep evolving and using more techniques to make any doll as accurate as they can.

Thank you for posting Shivatopia. I love Gaston despite the obvious flaw of the wrong body. I don't know why Disney skimps like this since they own Marvel and have no trouble producing those dolls/figures in correct proportion. I guess I answered my own question because of the fact I bought Gaston anyway as will most fans.

I'm guessing this may be a good spot to put this....but I wanted to show what I saw and bought today the disney store!!!
photo1-7-1_zps69a9965d.jpg

photo2-6-1_zps15eb3ca4.jpg

photo3-4_zps129a85a0.jpg

I'm guessing this may be a good spot to put this....but I wanted to show what I saw and bought today the disney store!!!
photo2-6-1_zps15eb3ca4.jpg

What a surprise! I was wondering if they would make a Tonto doll... It only makes sense, but there was always the chance that he might have been seen as controversial, despite Johnny Depp portraying him.

Oooh, I have been excited for The Lone Ranger for a very long time and I am glad to know they are making dolls of them. In my opinion, these are good enough to be Designer dolls. They look very detailed.

Thanks for the detailed photos of Tonto. I've been waiting for him to get to one of my local stores, and it's curious that he isn't online yet. I think he actually looks more impressive than the Lone Ranger doll. Congrats on getting him.

2013 Classic Aurora Doll - Review and Photos

Here's some photos of the newly released 2013 Disney Store Classic Aurora doll. First a review, and comparison to the 2012 Classic Aurora doll.
The 2013 Classic Aurora is mostly the same doll as the 2012 model. She has the same face and almost the same dress. The few changes are the return of her iconic curly bang, a swirly glittery pattern in her dark pink satin skirt, and glently curly hair. The skirt is not as wide or as long as the 2012 model. The hair is not as voluminous, but the gentle curls are easy to even out with your fingers after deboxing. Since there is no need to comb the hair to make it neater, there is no tendency for it to get frizzy and poofy, as was the case for the 2012 Aurora. I like the new Aurora much better than the older version. I already liked her face, which I think is very beautiful and movie accurate, and now that her hair is fixed she is an great looking doll. She is the best looking and most accurate Aurora doll Disney has made from the neck up.

A major change, common to all the 2013 Classic Princess dolls, is the replacement of the fully articulated legs with the old rubber legs, with fixed angled feet and internal knee joints. I would rather that they fixed the problems with the 2012 legs, but when exposed the rubber legs do look a lot better, with the disadvantage of being much less posable. Also the glitter tends to stick to the rubber legs, and it cannot simply be brushed off.

The packaging for the dolls is much improved. The boxes are 1/2 inch flatter than the 2012 boxes, at 13'' H x 6'' W x 2'' D, making them more economical to produce and ship, and taking up less space on a shelf. The box art has been completely redesigned, with beautiful decorations unique to each Princess (actually for each movie), and a cameo of the animated movie character. The backs of the boxes has a short storyline for each character, as they did before 2012. The way the dolls are packaged is much simplified, making it much easier and quicker to remove them from the box. Mostly gone are the tiny plastic T-bar fasteners, which secured the outfits to the backing and left little holes and sometimes runs in the fabric. In some cases there are still large T-bar fasteners tacking the back of the doll's head to the backing. Also the dolls with free flowing hair no longer have them flattened and sectioned into two parts, making it hard to even out the back of their hair after deboxing. Instead, their hair is gathered up and placed to one side of the doll, and secured by thread or wire. It looks good as is in the box. Or if the doll is deboxed, it is easy to shake out the hair and even it out using just your fingers.

Now for some photos of Aurora, boxed, during deboxing, and fully deboxed.

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Boxed - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxing - Attached to Backing - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxing - Attached to Backing - Midrange Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxing - Attached to Backing - Portrait Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxing - Removed from Backing - Lying Down - Skirt Lifted - Midrange Rear View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxing - Freed From Packaging Restraints - Lying Down - Full Rear View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Portrait Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Portrait Right Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Portrait Right Side View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Full Rear View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Portrait Left Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

2013 Classic Disney Princess Aurora 12'' Doll - Disney Store - First Look - Deboxed - Standing - Skirt Lifted - Full Left Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Some more of my collection

Ariel

Jasmine
URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/duaxeallowed/media/null_zps980e6939.jpg.html]
null_zps980e6939.jpg
[/URL]

Belle

Extras I bought this weekend

more to come

ariel01_zpsda34bad0.jpg
Here's my singing Ariel, on a rare sunny day! :) Hey I like everyones dolls, the army of Belle dolls is amazing, I don't have one yet o_0

ariel01_zpsda34bad0.jpg
Here's my singing Ariel, on a rare sunny day! :) Hey I like everyones dolls, the army of Belle dolls is amazing, I don't have one yet o_0

Gorgeous! I want to pick one of these up now. And I love that she is in her pink dress, I wonder if the new model will switch it to the green version? I cannot wait for the LE Ariel, I hope she is in a dress, either this one or the purple dress she wears when Trition turns her human permanently.

Vanessa vs. Ariel - The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set - Review and Photos

Vanessa and Ariel from the The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set have been fully deboxed, and are standing next to each other. The head and body of both dolls are actually the same (and are a mix of the 2013 Classic Ariel head and the 2012 Classic Princess body), so they could be considered as sisters. But their appearances are strikingly different, in addition to the fact that Vanessa is human and Ariel is a mermaid. Following is a detailed comparison of their features.

Face and skin: Vanessa has deep violet eyes, that are large and round, and slightly glancing to her right. She has no eyeshadow, and six thin, short lashes over each eye. Her eyebrows are dark brown, long, thin and arched, with the arch being more pronounced on her right side. She has thin, bright red lips in a sexy smile. Her skin is a pale purple color (much paler than Ursula's purple skin), that can pass for pale pink or gray in low light.

Ariel has dark blue green eyes, that are big and wide open. They are bigger and rounder than Vanessa's. She is making a strong glance to her right. She has silver eyeshadow, and four short thick lashes over each eye. Her eyebrows are light brown, thick, mostly straight, and end well before the bridge of her nose. She has fuller lips than Vanessa, with a correspondingly smaller opening in her mouth, forming a happy open smile. She has medium light flesh colored skin.

Hair: Vanessa has medium length dark brown hair, down to the middle of her back, with gentle curls at the ends. The hair surrounding her face is gelled to keep it neat, but otherwise the hair is soft and smooth. It was easy to even out after deboxing, using just my fingers. Her hair frames her face and shoulders beautifully.

Ariel has long red hair, down to her hips. The botom half has gentle curls. The hair above her forehead is stiffened with gel to keep it out of her face. The rest of her hair is soft and smooth. The hair was never divided in the box, so it is easy to even out and make neat after deboxing, without combing. Her hair falls straight past her shoulders, and looks very nice both from the front and the back.

Outfit: Vanessa wears a simple purple satin dress that is glitter free. It is dark purple on top, with straps over her shoulders and no sleeves. There is a small V-shaped panel over her chest, and the waist line is V-shaped as well. The skirt is floor length, not very wide, and made of single layer of light purple satin that is hemmed at the bottom.
Her shoes are black flat heeled slippers.

Ariel has a her mermaid outfit on, with a glittering purple shell bikini top (supported by clear plastic shoulder straps). Her legs are completely covered by a glittering bright green satin tail, with smooth organza fins above her waist and below her feet. She is standing tippy toed in the tail.

Accessories: Vanessa's only accessory is a necklace made of dark purple string, with a golden conch shell hanging from it. The shell holds Ariel's voice. The accessory is the same as that worn by Designer Ursula, except that Ursula's necklace had a golden chain.

Ariel has no accessories.

Body: Both Vanessa and Ariel have the 2012 Princess body, so they are fully articulated. They have ball jointed neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips and ankles, and hinged knees. Their hips make them sit with their legs about 90 degrees apart, and their wobbly knee joints tend to make them bow legged. But Ariel's tail hides her legs, so their deficiencies are not apparent, unless she attempts to sit down.
With her ankle joints, Vanessa can wear flats with her feet flat on the ground, so she stands at only 11 1/4 inches tall, about 1/4 inch shorter than if she wore high heeled shoes.
Ariel is on tippy toes to fit into her tail costume, so she stands at 11 3/4 inches tall, 1/2 inch taller than Vanessa, and 1/4 inches taller than Princesses with high heels.

Summary: Vanessa, as the human form of Ursula, has a sultry, cunning, devious look to her. She doesn't look out and out evil, but rather has a come hither look, and is definitely out to cause mischief. Her dark soul is reflected in her dark features. She is stylish looking in her neat hairdo and simple glitter free satin dress. She has the purple skin of Ursula, but it is much paler.
Her face is rounder than the movie character, and her features are no fully movie accurate, but she is a gorgeous doll, and has the look of villainy in her soul.

Ariel has a cheerful, innocent look, with her bright, wide open eyes and happy smile. She is the most movie accurate Ariel that the Disney Store has made so far. I also think she is the most beautiful DS Ariel.

The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set
I purchased The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set from a local Disney Store on Friday, June 21, 2013. It is rather expensive for a 5 doll set, at $79.95. Last year's Cinderella Deluxe Doll Gift Set ws $79.50, but it had 6 dolls, two dresses and a dress form, as well as some small figures of animal sidekicks. It would have been nice if this TLM set also had additional outfits for Ariel.

The box consists of a cardboard tray to which the dolls and figures are attached. The tray slides into a sturdy cardboard case, with a handle. The front has a large clear plastic viewing window, with the names of each character over the corresponding doll.

The set contains dolls of Vanessa, Ursula, Ariel as Mermaid, Prince Eric, and King Triton. Also included are small figures of Ariel's friends Scuttle, Flounder and Sebastian. The Disney Store has never made a doll of Vanessa before, and she is exclusive to this set. All the dolls besides Vanessa are different from the previously released Disney Store dolls. Ursula and King Triton have had small changes to their faces, and the king's trident is a different design. Eric has a new longer head mold and different face paint. Ariel has the new head and hair, but the old (2012) outfit and body. Vanessa has the same head mold as the Ariel doll (new for 2013), but of course different face paint and hair. She has pale purple colored skin, and the 2012 body, with fully articulated hard plastic legs.

Vanessa vs. Ariel - The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set - Disney Store - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Vanessa vs. Ariel - The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set - Disney Store - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Villainess Lineup - Designer Ursula, TLM Gift Set Ursula, Vanessa, Designer Cruella

Standing side by side are four female Disney Villains, to compare their skin tones. From left to right they are Designer Ursula, Ursula and Vanessa from The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set, and Designer Cruella De Vil. All were produced and sold by the Disney Store. The first three are related, and hence have similar skin, and the fourth is here because of her very pale skin. Designer Ursula and Cruella are supported by their included display stands, Vanessa has borrowed Designer Ariel's display stand, and Ursula is free standing on her tentacles.

Designer Ursula and Ursula have very similar purple skin, but Designer Ursula's skin is a touch pinker. Vanessa's skin is purple as well, but is much paler as well as pinker than Designer Ursula. Vanessa's skin is unusual as it appears to be different colors depending on the lighting - appearing as pale pink or gray in low or artificial light conditions. Finally Cruella De Vil's skin is a very pale ghostly white.

Villainess Lineup - Designer Ursula, TLM Gift Set Ursula, Vanessa, Designer Cruella De Vil by drj1828, on Flickr

Vanessa Swaps Outfits with Designer Ursula

Vanessa swaps her outfit (dress and shoes) for the outfit of Designer Ursula (dress, petticoat and shoes). Vanessa has a glamorous looking face and hair, but a simple dress. So it was suggest to me that she try on the much more elaborate and fetching black leatherette and deep purple kelp-like gown of Designer Ursula. She does indeed look fabulous in the Designer gown.

Vanessa is a 12'' fully posable doll from the newly released the Disney Store's The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set. Her character is the human form of Ursula, the sea witch and giant female octopus. Designer Ursula is a 12'' fully posable doll from the Disney Store's Disney Villains Designer Doll Collection, released in October 1-2, 2012.

Vanessa and Designer Ursula Swapping Outfits - Ursula and Vanessa Redressed - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Vanessa and Designer Ursula Swapping Outfits - Ursula and Vanessa Redressed - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Vanessa in Designer Ursula's Outfit - Full Front View #2 by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Ariel vs ''Designer'' Vanessa

Here Designer Ariel and Vanessa wearing Designer Ursula's outfit are posed standing next to each other. I think this a much better comparison than Designer Ariel vs Designer Ursula. ''Designer'' Vanessa compares very favorably with Designer Ariel, although her lack of rooted eyelashes and lesser quality hair makes Ariel definitely the more glamorous looking doll. They start off supported by the Designer display stands, then switch to Kaiser stands so they can get closer to each other for the tighter shots.

Vanessa swaps her outfit (dress and shoes) for the outfit of Designer Ursula (dress, petticoat and shoes). Vanessa has a glamorous looking face and hair, but a simple dress. So it was suggest to me that she try on the much more elaborate and fetching black leatherette and deep purple kelp-like gown of Designer Ursula. She does indeed look fabulous in the Designer gown.

Vanessa is a 12'' fully posable doll from the newly released the Disney Store's The Little Mermaid Deluxe Doll Gift Set, in selected stores; not yet available online.
Designer Ursula is a 12'' fully posable doll from the Disney Store's Disney Villains Designer Doll Collection, released in October 1-2, 2012.
Designer Ariel is a 12'' fully posable doll from the Disney Store's Disney Princess Designer Doll Collection, released on August 29, 2011.

Designer Ariel vs ''Designer'' Vanessa - Full Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Ariel vs ''Designer'' Vanessa - Full Rear View by drj1828, on Flickr

Designer Ariel vs ''Designer'' Vanessa - Portrait Front View by drj1828, on Flickr

Vanessa is really stunning in Designer Ursula's dress. This makes me want a LE Vanessa all the more. Thank you for all of the wonderful photos.

Not sure why I'm not able to post any pictures of my collection here but I thought I give you a little glimpse of the collection I have here at home. it's all still very basic, I'd say hopefully in the coming months I'll be having more. Any idea who the favourite in our house is? ;-) Oh if someone knows what I'm doing wrong with posting the pictures and could help, then that would be great ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97928207@N05/sets/72157634321987970/

Since the new Vanessa doll came out I wanted to take pics of a vanessa doll was made for me with her. I just wanted to share with you and hope you like :)

photo-1_zps14158258.jpg

photo1-8_zps3a6c1b2e.jpg

photo2-7_zps2de5a29f.jpg

photo3-5_zps2d6c5e13.jpg

photo4-2_zpsbaa832a7.jpg

AND MY URSULA/VANESSA COLLECTION SO FAR...

photo5-2_zpsf0d0cd01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back