• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Pear-shaped Toad!"

"Oooooooh,
Sing sweet nightingale,
Sing sweet nightingale,
hiiiiiiiiigh above me."

So along with redoing Lady Tremaine's hairdo to tighten it up, I also went out in search for good props for at least one of the Tremaines. I have no interest in getting a grand piano for Lady Tremaine (I already have no display space), there are no 12" doll scale Lucifer figures that I know of, Drizella really does not have any accessories (except her discarded turquoise bead necklace?), and so... it came down to Anastasia's flute, and it's just perfect!

The scene of Anastasia and Drizella's music lesson before the lovely scene of Cinderella's "Sing Sweet Nightingale" is certainly one of the many memorable scenes in the film, as it highlights the strong differences between the untalented awkwardness of the stepsisters as opposed to Cinderella. Drizella cannot sing on key if her life depended on it, and Anastasia clearly struggles with being even a half-way decent flautist. Add that to the fact that Lady Tremaine sets them up with the bizarre phrase "The Pear-shaped Toad," and you have a couple of very humorous scenes before and after Cinderella's main portion of the song!

The Tremaines perform "The Pear-shaped Toad"
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

The Tremaines perform "The Pear-shaped Toad"
by Shivatopia, on Flickr

The Tremaines perform "The Pear-shaped Toad" by Shivatopia, on Flickr

I was on Amazon and there was a Cinderella mini's set with a Lucifer PVC/Figurine. Just throwing that out there LOL. EDIT- How could I forget to compliment? I like the flute addition and the whole, "pear-shaped toad" nitpicking LOL. I remember thinking of this as the closest thing to a villain song for them but Cinde came and saved it LOL.

Last edited:
They should have a villain's song! Although I think the Rodgers and Hammerstein one is the ultimate Stepsisters Lament.

I was on Amazon and there was a Cinderella mini's set with a Lucifer PVC/Figurine. Just throwing that out there LOL. EDIT- How could I forget to compliment? I like the flute addition and the whole, "pear-shaped toad" nitpicking LOL. I remember thinking of this as the closest thing to a villain song for them but Cinde came and saved it LOL.

Hmmmm... I'll have to look into that Lucifer PVC figurine from that Cinderella mini's set, though from the sound of it, he may not be in proper scale (maybe more like a kitten version like in the beginning of the film?).

Thanks! :) I also personally brand "The Pear-Shaped Toad/Tone" as the only thing close to a Tremaine villain song, since Drizella starts and ends it, but of course Cinderella's dulcet voice really does save the song and transforms it into a princess song. :p Sure, Anastasia gets to sing in Cinderella III, but Disney sequels are so... you know...

They should have a villain's song! Although I think the Rodgers and Hammerstein one is the ultimate Stepsisters Lament.

OMG, I love that song! For the R&H version, I still often watch the 1965 version with Lesley Ann Warren as Cinderella... and Pat Carroll as Prunella! "The Stepsisters' Lament" is indeed a great song and oh so catchy!

Has anyone seen the Disney Classics Friends dolls? I've only been able to find two, but they are just so cute! They have one for Mickey, and another for Pooh Bear.

Here's the Mickey one

mickey-doll-1800-2.jpg

If anyone de-boxes their LE dolls I have a photo request: Singing Elsa in LE Elsa's dress and LE blonde Rapunzel in LE Wedding Rapunzel's dress. Just throwing it out there, thanks in advance!

So I had a pretty Frozen themed Christmas!!! well Disney in general but you know haha! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!!!! :D anyway I thought Id share my additions to my ever expanding collection! sorry there are so many!!! If theres a way to spoiler tag them and hide them let me know I totally will for you guys haha

IMG_3495 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

MY Frozen merch!!! I also got another set of Kristoff and Hans to match my deboxed Anna and Elsa! I was SO happy to get the D23 set though! I thought Id never get them! Oh and The Art of Frozen book is just WONDERFUL I read the entire thing yesterday!

IMG_3497 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

My deboxed Frozen doll set positioned like the poster!! :D

AAAAANNNNDDD (drum roll please!!!)

IMG_3503 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

MY DFDC SETS!!! AHHHHHHHH I was sooooo happy to receive them!!! Especially after I thought I had lost the TLM set!!!! My parents are the BEST!

IMG_3506 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3507 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

(posed as closely to the art as I could!)

IMG_3514 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

(how I put them in the box!!!)

IMG_3519 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

(They're so perfect I barely had to reposition them!!!)

And then last week my LE Elsas FINALLY came!!!! So here are some pics of my boxed Anna and Elsa and my deboxed Elsa!

IMG_3425 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3446 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

IMG_3457 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

And where she has come to sit in my room

IMG_3472 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

as well as my Opened LE Ariel Display!!!

IMG_3466 by ory.lopez, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh! Congratulations to everyone who received such lovely Disney doll gifts this year! :) Your appreciation photos are all so lovely!

Guppy94, I love how you recreated the DFDC Belle pose so well (even without a chaise lounge), and also LE Elsa in her "Here I stand!" sashay pose. Fantastic!

@Shivatopia thanks!!!!!! I tried my best and I think I succeeded!!! Ive tried with all of the designer dolls to replicate the art because its so nice!!! sadly she didn't fit in the box like that :/ so thats for photoshoots only haha.

And yes! That part stood out to me I loved it! such a moment of power I had to replicate it! and thats what I kept for her display!! :D

I got an Esmeralda doll for Christmas, I've been wanting her for such a long time. I thought i'd share her since I love her to death. I tried to perm up her hair a bit too.

@Shivatopia I agree, she has lovely detail. I wish Mattel made dolls like these again. But, it does make me love her more. I also have Quasi and Phoebus and they also are very well done.
I love the little things that came with Quasi like his tool box and all his wood carvings.

Random question, wondering if shivatopia knows the answer: why is it all the recent dolls from disney aren't looking straight ahead? Is it to avoid derpy misprinted eyes or for some other reason?

My personal theory is that dolls had forward looking eyes for so many years that the doll artists still find side glances to be novel.

I agree with RapunzelSalat's theory in regards to the novelty factor. Dolls have traditionally been given a straight-forward glance, which some doll artists and some people in the doll-collecting community feel gives a less lively expression to the dolls. I am not in that camp. I prefer dolls that look forward. Side-glancing dolls look good, but to me are so much more limited in how you can position them (the DFDC Prince dolls are perfect examples of this). Side-glancing also generally produces a more coy or flirty expression, that I also do not think is completely appropriate for some characters.

Random question, wondering if shivatopia knows the answer: why is it all the recent dolls from disney aren't looking straight ahead? Is it to avoid derpy misprinted eyes or for some other reason?

I've heard some people say before that they find dolls with straight-forward looking eyes to be ~creepier looking than those that look sideways. Personally I don't think this, and love both types of eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back