Disney Limited Edition Dolls Informative Thread (IMAGE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Other Disney Collectibles' started by Polaris, Oct 5, 2013.

1. sheldoal

sheldoal Member

0   0   0

Polaris, love this informative thread. Thought there should be small paragraph explaining the last minute European price adjustment on Elsa and Anna from 60£|70€ to 80£| 90€ and the outcome: reimbursement of money and gift cards.

2. Polaris

Polaris Active Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Yes I was thinking about that too but I wasn't sure what would happen going forward mainly because of the uproar it was a past event and they did change it back so not sure if they will eventually increase the price or just keep it the same. Was going to wait for the next doll release and see what happens. If it remains the same price then I wouldn't bother mentioning it as it would be like crying over spilt milk especially since Disney did release a statement so most people who did buy the dolls would be aware of the decision. But thanks for letting me know, I'll definitely update the thread accordingly if need be.

3. Shivatopia

Shivatopia Aeon of Macalania

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

I figured that this is probably a good place for me to repost my musings that was part of a discussion in the Frozen merchandise thread... The topic had turned to categories of "grailness" among the LE dolls.

Looking at the LE dolls for the princess films (and Wonderland), I personally rank the dolls from 2009-2012 into a few categories:

"Grail" Dolls:
    -LE Snow White
    -LE Alice

"Bandwagon" Dolls:
    -LE Queen of Hearts (low edition size and increased value due to LE Alice's popularity)

"Regular Progression" Dolls:
    -LE Tiana
    -LE Belle
    -LE Blonde Rapunzel
    -LE Mother Gothel
    -LE Lady Tremaine (kind of a surprise, but she's been selling for over $150 for a while, which is currently selling for up to almost $200)

"Slow Progression" Dolls:
    -LE Wedding Rapunzel
    -LE Merida
    -LE Merida & Elinor
    -LE Cinderella

With the 2013 dolls, I think they will fall into the following categories:
    -LE Ariel --> "Regular Progression" but currently leaning toward "Slow Progression" -- I think she'll eventually pick up the pace like LE Tiana & LE Belle did.
    -LE Prince Eric --> "Slow Progression"
    -LE Ursula --> "Slow Progression"
    -LE Elsa (Snow Queen) --> "Grail" (just a hunch: very rapid price hike during the 2013 holidays and most likely will not come down from it.)
    -LE Anna (Coronation) --> maybe "Bandwagon" depending on what happens with LE Snow Queen Elsa and the other LE Frozen dolls -- if not, then probably "Regular Progression"
    -Harrods LE Elsa & Anna --> "Pipe Dream/Unicorn Grail" (super low LE size of 100 and an outrageous price to match. Chances are that the resale price may not hit more than double the retail price, but it already started as expensive.)

***Update from when I originally posted this on the Frozen Merchandise thread***
    -LE Elsa (Snow Queen) has now had sold listings on eBay exceeding $400 as of 12/28/2013. One was a BIN for $499 and the other was an auction that ended at $430.50. Also US eBay listings are now popping up for no less than $300-something. I smell grail doll status...

4. Matthewlondon

Matthewlondon Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I think Elsa will eventually be worthy of "Grail" but wouldn't a coronation Elsa lower her value? Like if a new Snow was made would it not make the first less special?

Im im very surprised Ariel isn't selling better.

5. MegglesM

MegglesM Will Work For Stickers

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I don't think coronation Elsa will lower the value of Snow Queen Elsa. In fact, I expect the value of both original Frozen LE dolls to spike after the release of the next two. Snow Queen Elsa is the companion doll to the rumored Anna being released sometime in the next month, and the Snow Queen outfit is her iconic look. I mean, Wedding Rapunzel didn't lower the value of Blonde Rapunzel.

I think the only thing that would lower the value of one of these dolls would be a rerelease, which I do not expect Disney to ever do. OR a release of a doll in the same outfit but with a more sought after look- like, if they made a new Cinderella LE 17" in a more faithful to the movie style. Which, again, I don't really see happening with this line.

I am interested to see how the LE 100 Harrod's set affects the price of Anna and Elsa's individual LE 2500 dolls, long term. The fact that it hasn't really seemed to hurt the dolls value yet could be due to the fact it's a UK only set and possibly some US doll collectors don't know about it yet. But it could also be that people prefer the dolls boxed separately, or dislike Elsa's weirdly shiny skin tone in the Harrod's set.

And I actually think Ariel is selling well. I mean, ebay is flooded with her- there are currently well over 50 Ariel dolls on ebay right now. So clearly she was purchased by a ton of resellers- which usually means the secondary market prices are lower. Additionally, she's a LE 6000, not 5000 like the majority of the series. Despite this, her current selling price is higher than some older release dolls. However, I think there was an initial panic buy period for her on ebay, and a spike due to Christmas present sales, so I'm not really sure where I think her secondary market value will wind up at during the upcoming months.

6. Shivatopia

Shivatopia Aeon of Macalania

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

I agree with megglesM that LE Snow Queen Elsa will probably only become more desired once an LE Coronation Elsa is released, because it is her "glamorous" marketed look that seems to be drawing consumers in. The Coronation look has major dramatic potential, but it is a more prim and confined look that will tend appeal more to actual fans of the character as opposed to everybody.

LE Ariel is a great doll, but I think the increased LE size and the fact that a lot of resellers seem to have swarmed all over her seems to be keeping her prices lower until the available stock on the secondary market reduces considerably. That is one of the many reasons of how LE Snow White at LE 5000 consistently commands a higher "grail" price: there are just not so many of her out there and she is seldom listed below the $400s price range. Also, I think LE Ariel's more mature look might be a factor. But I think that she will rise in the ranks at least at the same rate that many of the other LE princess dolls did/are (LE Tiana, LE Belle, LE blonde Rapunzel, and LE Cinderella), which generally saw an initial resale price hover of around $150 for the first year or so after release and then a gradual increase as available stock on the secondary market decreases.

Btw... LE Snow Queen Elsa is certainly showing a different trend in that she has now reached up to the $500 resale price on eBay and she was only released a little over a month ago and with a lot less worldwide units. She is definitely grail-bound!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. Polaris

Polaris Active Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Updated to include the new Anna and Elsa coming out Jan 10 for preorder

8. Graemecookie

Graemecookie Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Hi I just started collecting when the frozen ones were released and really wished I had started from the beginning as It looks like I will never get them all now. I have the frozen set, the little mermaid and just paid $100 for Snow White! (Is that a good price?)I have pre orderd the latest frozen ones. I am from the uk and am a massive disney geek and our collecting these dolls for myself and for my 3 girls for when they are older. Hope to chat with u all soon .

graeme

from the UK

9. Matthewlondon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

How did you get Snow for $100 that's a very good price, congrats.

10. sheldoal

sheldoal Member

0   0   0

LE 17" Snow White or 12" Designer Snow White?

11. Graemecookie

Graemecookie Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Well I just messaged the seller and they said it's the designer one! Bit picture was of the LE edition! So going to get my money back. I know it will be a long post but can anyone tell me the prices that are acceptable for the LE 17" dolls so I have a rough guide. Thank u in advance

12. Matthewlondon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Page one of this thread is a good guide and tells you prices etc:)

13. Graemecookie

Graemecookie Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thank u. Wish I started collecting from the beginning :(

14. Matthewlondon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I know what you mean, it's near impossible to get Alice or Snow for a decent price. I really would like to get the Snow but even if I had £700 to spend on her theirs much more important things to spend the money on,much easier if started at the beginning lol.

15. Graemecookie

Graemecookie Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Who do u have in the 17" Matthewlondon?

16. Matthewlondon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I'm not collecting them all and only started with the 17inch at Christmas but have Snow Queen Elsa, Ariel and Blonde Rapunzel. Once I get Snow Anna the rumoured Aurora and Maleficent then I will stop collecting as I will then have all my favourite characters:)

17. Pirate Princess Ari

Pirate Princess Ari KraftyKitsune

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You have no idea how many people have said that when they first started... XD

18. Matthewlondon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Haha I know but my bf doesn't like dolls so I promised him I wouldn't go overboard and with them being so big they take up a lot of room lol, I will have to force myself to stop lol! But after Aurora and Maleficent their isn't many other characters I would want anyway lol. I can't decide if to get Cinderella or Snow a Anna for my birthday either, I kind of want Cinderella more because she's sparkly and pretty and the definitive princess but then Anna will probably be worth more (not that I plan to sell them)

19. Pirate Princess Ari

Pirate Princess Ari KraftyKitsune

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Haha, I'm trying to resist myself. While I've loved the 17' dolls for a couple years, I just recently started to buying some. Went from 1 to *gulp* 7 within 6 months (but this includes the latest preorders). Originally all it was to be was Ariel, blonde Rapunzel, Calhoun, and Maleficent. Riiiiight... I think I'm doomed; hope you have better control than I do.

20. Graemecookie

Graemecookie Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Haha I only want a few but keep seeing myself looking at the others but most of them are $250 plus and with 3 little girls I don't have that much spare $$$ might have to sell some
    body parts hahaha

21. Flounder21

Flounder21 New Member

0   0   0

Thank you so much Polaris and all those who contributed to this thread! Helps me a lot as a new collector! :drool:
    I too wish I had started collecting from the beginning but I started getting into collecting with the Designer Villains with Ursula and Maleficent.
    And Then started my first LE 17" collection with Ariel, Eric and Ursula. Told myself I would only get Ariel since she was my favorite princess and her movie is my favorite disney movie and now I can't stop. It really is addicting and fun and exciting all at the same time! :D
    Now, I've got (Nov) Anna and Elsa, Cinderella and Pre-ordered the newer Anna and Elsa! :) I know I won't be able to collect all of them back with the prices going crazy but will try to get Belle and Tiana some day and currently looking for the 17" Blonde Rapunzel like crazy! haha :D

22. TheDisneyFanatic

TheDisneyFanatic Servant of the Dark Fairy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I noticed that you have put a section for expected releases for Aurora and Maleficent with an estimated end of July preorder opening. So has it been confirmed that Aurora and Maleficent are next in the 17 inch doll line or is it just fan assumption based on previous releases (because I mean its obvious that its gonna happen but im just curious)?

23. Matthewlondon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's most likely true:) I can't wait!

24. Polaris

Polaris Active Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

The bluray has been confirmed for release on Oct 7 so I would say that the probability of the doll being released would pretty much be a 99.9% chance, unless of course Disney decides against releasing a doll which is highly unlikely due to the increased popularity of these dolls. So no it is not confirmed by Disney but I can definitely guarantee that it will be released and it is not just based on an assumption.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  25. Graemecookie

Graemecookie Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I am buying some shelves to display my growing 17" collection . Think they will look nice once displayed