• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Pins – ‘TRON: Legacy’

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejessta

You guys are the best!
Staff member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Steven Miller talks TRON pins in a recent Disney Parks Blog post.

From the Disney Parks Blog:
posted on December 6th, 2010 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Greetings, Programs! I just finished playing “Space Paranoids†and thought I would give you an update about some pins we have created for “TRON: Legacy.†I spoke with Julie Young, developer for open and limited edition pins, about some of these new items. But before I get to those items, we must return to the past. This isn’t the first time we’ve created Tron-themed pins. I dug into my personal collection for a brief look back.

Since the release of “Tron†on July 9, 1982, there have only been a handful of Tron pins made (making collecting Tron pins somewhat easier than steering a Recognizer). Some of the first pins date from the early 1980s and were mostly promotional or jewelry-style pins (think brooch or plastic pins). With the introduction of Pin Trading in 1999, the number of Tron pins has grown. Pictured above are examples of pins created by Disney Parks, Disney Stores and the former Disney Catalog. There have also been pins created by the former Disney Auctions as well as Walt Disney Imagineering. There was even a “Space Paranoids†pin given to guests attending an ENCOM press event in April 2010. Sadly, I do not have any of the latter mentioned pins (and I am sad).

But I’m happy to see some new Tron pins on the Game Grid. Julie shared details behind the open edition Mickey Mouse as Tron pin.

“I like having Mickey Mouse play different roles for the pins I create,†said Julie. “I wanted the line work on his suit to glow in the dark. Unfortunately, I learned that the blue color featured on the pin doesn’t have a glow in the dark option.â€

Julie, however, made some pins from the “TRON: Legacy†limited release mystery set glow. There are 20 different pins in this set – 10 that are full color and 10 chaser pins created in a different base metal color. I opted not to show those “chaser†pins as it would defeat the purpose of the game.

One of my favorite new pins features the Tron-orail. I recall the day in March when I saw the photos of it on the Disney Parks Blog. I immediately ran down to the product developer’s office pleading to have a Tron-orail pin. It took several art concepts including one that placed the Tron-orail in front of the Magic Kingdom (?!). The first sample of the pin was much smaller than the final version pictured at the top. During a recent visit to Epcot, there was nothing sweeter to my ears than hearing my son scream, “Dad, it’s the Tron-orail†as it glided through Future World. I think I did the same when I saw the final pin (just ask Julie).

The last item I have to share today is also pretty sweet. Chris Chapman from Disney Design Group stopped by my office to share this first mock-up. The image above is a boxed pin set coming to the Sci-Fi Academy event on June 24, 2011, at Disneyland Resort. The packaging is incredible an the identity disks…well, they are “nice!†End of line.

OK I know what I want for christmas now. I have 3 of the 5 in the top picture. This is starting to get fun now.

Those are some great looking pins. Too bad its so hard to find the original Tron to watch! I spent a few hours looking for it the other day online. I found it and watched it. Really good movie and I can't wait for Tron Legacy!

I'm so glad I got the DVD last year. It's been impossible to find recently and they're not planning on re-releasing it before Legacy comes out.

I want the Tronorail pin so badly. I can't wait for that one to come out.

I am kind of steamed about the Tronorail pin. I had friends in WDW on 12/2 when it was stated to be released on ODPT.com and when they tried to get one on 12/3, they were told even though they were released, the shops don't get them until the next week.

was at DSF yesterday, and while the Tron pins won't be released until this upcoming Saturday, they had some of them in a shadowbox on display...took a pic of one side...and mysteriously forgot to take a pic of the other half. LOL (sorry guys, i had a splitting headache the whole drive there and back, so was sort of in a fog). but here's the one pic i did manage...enjoy! (p.s. the 3-pin disc set looks cool. wish they'd had the marquee with the sliding lightcycle tho...)

Tron pins 1.jpg

was at DSF yesterday, and while the Tron pins won't be released until this upcoming Saturday, they had some of them in a shadowbox on display...took a pic of one side...and mysteriously forgot to take a pic of the other half. LOL (sorry guys, i had a splitting headache the whole drive there and back, so was sort of in a fog). but here's the one pic i did manage...enjoy! (p.s. the 3-pin disc set looks cool. wish they'd had the marquee with the sliding lightcycle tho...)

View attachment 1315
:bowdown:

awesome.

the identity discs look bigger than the ad makes them look.

anyone going for the release on the 17th? I'm working :sad:

Some of those are looking pretty cool, but I don't know if I would collect them or not.

I just watched my DVD copy of Tron too (I've watched a lot of Disney in fact over the past few days! LoL!) and this new movie is looking so good! I'm wondering how they are going to explain the father ending up back in the grid after he came out of it at the end of the last movie. I can hardly wait!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back