• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Pins Fine-Art Museum (any other art-geeks out there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Pins Fine-Art Museum (any other art-geeks out there?)
But posting is so much more fun than working on finals purplemandms!
(I say as I finish up my own paperwritting for the night)

I don't like Mickey but I will always stare longingly at this pin because I am obsessed with Rene Magritte, I've done a ridiculous amount of projects on him
pin45981th200
Magritte_TheSonOfMan.jpg

He had a complex about showing faces in his work because he watched his mother being dragged out of the river as a child after committing suicide. Her face was covered by her nightgown when they pulled her out. Despite that he turned out okay, and went on to be a famous painter after having a long stint of designing wallpapers.
mbFP_yN7PAIab-Q3lAMWbGA.jpg
12021042.jpg

I know it's totally a coincidence but I can't think of this hidden mickey without connecting it to the painting. They don't have the same meaning at all but my mind works in weird ways sometimes.

I think these are the only 2 I have. Both are based on Norman Rockwell paintings.
Freedom-from-want.jpg
pin25887th200

Norman-Rockwell-Triple-Self-Portrait-1960.jpg
pin6318th200

Very fun thread!

Are you aware that there is another pin based on the Degas sculpture?

Many of the pins from the Museum of Pintiquities, which was the 2009 Epcot pin event would fit the description of this thread. And the interpretations of real art, is one of the reasons that event is my favorite. One of pieces from that event, was a Diorama that featured Minnie in the role of the dancer. Unfortunately, that pin has been counterfeited/scrapped. And I'm not sure how many of the full sets exist. None of the dioramas sold well at the event, and when they showed up at the last CM pin party ever held, one group of people cleaned off the entire table before most people could even get to it. I imagine they broke them all up to sell/trade.

http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=68525

This is the concept art from the catalog. They tried to make them look more like sculptures with coloring, so I think the Tink is a more effective pin than Minnie.

pin68525

And here's a link to the Pinpics Group with the event pins http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=4951

I had the full set of this (in box) for a while! I adore Degas in particular (I used to be a dancer when I was young) but it didn't fit my collection, really, so I eventually traded it away (whole set intact; I think I bid it in a DPF auction.)

Okay I REALLY should go back to studying for finals but this popped into my head of that they really really really really really really really really really should do this scene as a pin:

the-swing-rapunzel.jpg

And here's a side-by side comparison of it with it's original work, Jean-Honoré Fragonard's "The Swing"

J3iIc8bOUWal.jpg

Okay that's it back to writing this paper goodnight.

Lol, the first time I watched frozen I thought, "I really hope they do a pin series based on anna as these paintings!"

Okay I REALLY should go back to studying for finals but this popped into my head of that they really really really really really really really really really should do this scene as a pin:

the-swing-rapunzel.jpg

And here's a side-by side comparison of it with it's original work, Jean-Honoré Fragonard's "The Swing"

J3iIc8bOUWal.jpg

Okay that's it back to writing this paper goodnight.
fragonard_s_the_swing_vs__tangled_by_claudette900-d66huwc.jpg

Fun fact that many people don't know:

The swing has been used for almost every Disney princess. It's only now famous because people saw it in the art book for Tangled and freaked out because it was reused in Frozen. The artist that did the one in the movie and this Tangled one is Lisa Keene. Before her Glen Keane had done one for Ariel and Belle too, and it's actually on of their personal projects for Disney, but the Tangled one was the first one to be shown as a piece of concept art.

This was original concept art for Belle

tumblr_li9lzm4PW91qgekoq.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic Thread; good enough to get this very old timer and mostly lurker posting again! So happy to see some faces I recognize from Dizpins adding to the thread! So, admit I'm also an art fanatic; the pins that were Disney remakes of artwork is what made me advance from 'pin-interested' to pin addicted well over 10 years ago. I was lucky enough to have collected the entire original Disney Auction Masterpiece group, and the boxed Tokyo Disney Sea set (see PP 13442). All of these are amazing pins, although much physically smaller than the original DA Masterpieces. In terms of event pins, agree that Pintiquities was the place to be and we really enjoyed that event as well as the amazingly high quality Pintiquities pins (see PP68516 -68524) and the set PP68924, with four different artists 'versions' of Figment. I love this set! Also have the later set from Disney Auctions that included Donald The Scream and Jessica as Birth of Venus. Like the original Masterpiece pins, be aware that there are reports of counterfeits. The Art Nouveau set pins are also SO beautiful. Some pins to add to the discussion are: 31769 Mona Lisa Stitch, PP61285 -61291, a great tongue in cheek take off of Roy Lichtenstein 'Female Ideas' graphic art, PP69256, Ariel in a take off an a famous art nouveau poster. Then there are the DLRP PinArt event pins PP70508 - 70511 - all of these are amazingly high quality pins, similar to the Pintiquities event pins. And, while I don't live in NYC, I'm there regularly for both business and pleasure and have been a member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art for more than 20 years. Art Lovers Unite :)

Yes, we've moved back stateside, are back in our house and are acclimating to the US; so happy to be back in the cold for Christmas!!!

Saw you received a grail today; Here's to Happy Trading and occasional tear-producing surprises :)

Yes, we've moved back stateside, are back in our house and are acclimating to the US; so happy to be back in the cold for Christmas!!!

Saw you received a grail today; Here's to Happy Trading and occasional tear-producing surprises :)
Welcome home! And thank you! :)

(Apologies for temporary thread hijack. lol)

Bumping this great thread into 2015 - any other art lovers out there?

Fantastic Thread; good enough to get this very old timer and mostly lurker posting again! So happy to see some faces I recognize from Dizpins adding to the thread! So, admit I'm also an art fanatic; the pins that were Disney remakes of artwork is what made me advance from 'pin-interested' to pin addicted well over 10 years ago. I was lucky enough to have collected the entire original Disney Auction Masterpiece group, and the boxed Tokyo Disney Sea set (see PP 13442). All of these are amazing pins, although much physically smaller than the original DA Masterpieces. In terms of event pins, agree that Pintiquities was the place to be and we really enjoyed that event as well as the amazingly high quality Pintiquities pins (see PP68516 -68524) and the set PP68924, with four different artists 'versions' of Figment. I love this set! Also have the later set from Disney Auctions that included Donald The Scream and Jessica as Birth of Venus. Like the original Masterpiece pins, be aware that there are reports of counterfeits. The Art Nouveau set pins are also SO beautiful. Some pins to add to the discussion are: 31769 Mona Lisa Stitch, PP61285 -61291, a great tongue in cheek take off of Roy Lichtenstein 'Female Ideas' graphic art, PP69256, Ariel in a take off an a famous art nouveau poster. Then there are the DLRP PinArt event pins PP70508 - 70511 - all of these are amazingly high quality pins, similar to the Pintiquities event pins. And, while I don't live in NYC, I'm there regularly for both business and pleasure and have been a member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art for more than 20 years. Art Lovers Unite :)

Sorry for not replying sooner. I keep forgetting to check up on this thread, but ah! Thank you for contributing! (And yay a fellow Tink lover!) I'm checking out these pins now and they're really gorgeous! I didn't know about the PinArt event pins.

Oh! And as I don't think that anyone has mentioned it on here yet, there's also an entire series of "sketch" pins like the Animation Art mystery collection. Those are pretty neat too! And it's great, because those pins aren't LE like so many of the other art pins are.

In terms of event pins, agree that Pintiquities was the place to be and we really enjoyed that event as well as the amazingly high quality Pintiquities pins (see PP68516 -68524) and the set PP68924, with four different artists 'versions' of Figment. I love this set!

pin68924

This is a great set! I especially love the van Gogh Figment based on the artist's self portrait:

250px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self-Portrait_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

WDI also released a 5 pin Figment series recreating famous works of art:

American Gothic

Love, love, loooooooooove Figment's expression in this one. Even the pitchfork-pattern on Dreamfinder's overalls is there! Probably my favourite of the bunch!

pin61521
250px-Grant_Wood_-_American_Gothic_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

The Blue Boy

pin61522
300px-Thomas_Gainsborough_008.jpg

Mona Lisa

pin61523
250px-Mona_Lisa%2C_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci%2C_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg

Pinkie

pin61524
250px-Pinkie_detailed.jpg

Whistler's Mother

pin61525
300px-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

Okay so after falling off my chair for not thinking of two of most prized possessions, I took a picture of them together to share with you their beauty up close and personal <3 here they are!

Pinpics Pin 40542: Disney Auctions - Masterpiece Series #4 - Belle & Beast

and

Pinpics Pin 40540: Disney Auctions - Masterpiece Series #4 (Ariel & Triton)

etbecj.jpg

The Beauty and the Beast pin shows Belle posing as Jean-Honoré Fragonard's "Young Girl Reading" (1776)

2ce54xe.jpg

And the Little Mermaid pin is styled after the sober Midwestern farm couple of Grant Wood's celebrated 1930 oil painting "American Gothic" (Although I must say it was an inappropriate choice in my opinion to use Ariel and King Triton to portray a couple) UPDATE; I stand corrected! Thanks Unibear <3 "it is supposed to be a farmer and his spinster (old maid) daughter. She does look rather old (probably due to her dour expression), but that is supposed to be his daughter. So, Triton and Ariel make perfect sense as substitutes..."

24pgh0l.jpg

And there you have it, possibly the two most coveted LE100 DA Masterpiece pins ever made by Disney Auctions in all their glory! <3

That Belle pin is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread. I've come to terms I will probably never own her (I'm pretty sure she's worth $300+, right?), but I truly think it is one of the prettiest pins I've ever seen. (Doesn't hurt that I'm a bookworm and Belle is my favorite princess.) I'm very jealous that you actually own her! Can I come by one day and just ogle your collection and drool? ;)

Last edited:
American Gothic

Love, love, loooooooooove Figment's expression in this one. Even the pitchfork-pattern on Dreamfinder's overalls is there! Probably my favourite of the bunch!

pin61521
250px-Grant_Wood_-_American_Gothic_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Wow! That brings us up to a total of three renditions of American Gothic! (The Jessica and Rabbit, the Ariel and Triton, and then this one. But I admit this one is probably my favorite.) And that Van Gogh <3 <3 <3 I had the fortune to see his self-portrait in-person, and oh it was stunning!

I honestly wish I could bring my oil paints and canvases back up to campus with me, because I would probably be giving it a go at some of these Disney renditions in the pins!

@Sorapandora, that pin works so well with the original work! I like how it's not in a frame or anything special like that which would hint that it is based off a painting.

We also have Edgar Degas' ballerina statue showcased at the St Louis Art Mueseum. Further north, I have seen two paintings at the Chicago Art Instiute, Grant Wood's American Gothic(very small painting) and Georges Seurat's Large Masterpiece: A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.
Georges_Seurat_-_Un_dimanche_après-midi_à_l'Île_de_la_Grande_Jatte.jpg

There are at least two pins based on the latter. What I like is that the first pin is that it is essentially a play on the artist's style of pointillism, usage of dots rather than long brush strokes to invoke the image on the canvas; the real work is a massive 2x3 meters so it is like seeing a digital photograph with the pixels up close. The last pin is cool but I wish they would've incorporated the entire painting rather then just the three figures on stage left...

Pin 45984
pin45984.jpg

Pin 68518
pin68518.jpg

Last edited:
As a huge Sunday/Seurat fan, happily there's another pin of it too from a Japan art series:

pin7113

Pin 7113: Tokyo Disney Sea Framed Art Donald and Daisy in Seurat Painting

This series also includes a pin of the Fragonard Swing:

pin9902

Pin 9902: Tokyo Disney Sea Framed Art Lady & Tramp in Fragonard Painting

As well as these:

This was one of the earliest art series of pins, so a lot of newer collectors are likely unaware of them. One of the sad things about those who remember the earlier pins and have disappeared from the hobby is that older wonderful pins get forgotten about... :(

Last edited:
This was one of the earliest art series of pins, so a lot of newer collectors are likely unaware of them. One of the sad things about those who remember the earlier pins and have disappeared from the hobby is that older wonderful pins get forgotten about... :(

And I'm an old timer and I don't think I ever knew about that set! This is the real loss of losing Pin Groups. It would be a great subject to pull all these fine-art inspired pins together in a group. Then if someone stumbled across one of the princess-based Masterpiece pins, they could see the link and potentially click the link, and discover pins they never knew about. Now, there is very little way people can discover what they don't already know about.

One of the sad things about those who remember the earlier pins and have disappeared from the hobby is that older wonderful pins get forgotten about... :(

That's why it's important to keep up posts like this. Sharing knowledge/expertise/collections and communicating are vital. And those are some pretty cool pins above! Thanks!

And I'm an old timer and I don't think I ever knew about that set! This is the real loss of losing Pin Groups. It would be a great subject to pull all these fine-art inspired pins together in a group. Then if someone stumbled across one of the princess-based Masterpiece pins, they could see the link and potentially click the link, and discover pins they never knew about. Now, there is very little way people can discover what they don't already know about.
Completely agree! Hopefully the new databases will add pin groups. I loved being able to check those out when they were kept up to date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back