• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

QUESTION Disneyland Paris Authentication tips

QUESTION Disneyland Paris Authentication tips

PIN & POP Jenn

Founder of PIN & POP
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Disneyland Paris pins come through events and look each one over to make sure it is real. I typically use a lot of sku number checking for it as well. I wanted to know what are you tips for making sure DLP pins are authentic?

Unfortunately, DLP pins are my weak point (only went for the first time in December), so I have several questions of my own. Authenticity is one of the reasons I haven't gotten more pins in the past. I seem to remember that for the Pin Trading Night pins, the fakes often have noticeable flaws in the area of the gold banner, park icons. They can either look like blobs, instead of detailed, or are missing entirely. But as soon as I saw the fakes, I stopped trying to find ones at good prices.

I agree Paris pins are tough.

I recently bought a Paris pin from eBay as a trader. It was a pin I already had in hand. When I compared them side by side there were definite color differences in the enamel. I believe the back also looked significantly different. Both would be difficult to identify without a reputable pin to do the comparison with. One thing the fake had which might be a check... it did not have the white price tag/sku on the card (it had the Paris card... so having a card alone may not be a tell.) (I returned the pin to the auction site seller.)

Asking the person trading it where they obtained it and if they know its route from Paris to P&P is something I would do when I trade with someone directly.

Do we know if there aren't numbers on the back it is a fake?
I think so, but not 100% sure because I don't know how Paris handles their AP and PP pins, so those might not have a number. But they may not get into circulation much either, unlike here with the Epcot boards.

However, after the first couple batches of fakes came out without numbers they learned they needed a number, so now I think it's more common to see a fake with a number. I think the font or size of the numbers may be wrong... but again, I don't know enough.

Do we know if there aren't numbers on the back it is a fake?
As @hopemax noted, Paris AP's don't have a number, just a blank line. But those are nearly impossible to get - I only have one, I think, or maybe two? And AP's and PP's are my faves, so if there were more out there available, I'd have more. :D

So it's a lot more likely (like 99% lol) that a blank line "_____ of 700" is a fake. But again as @hopemax noted, this may have been caught onto a while ago. :(

I think so, but not 100% sure because I don't know how Paris handles their AP and PP pins, so those might not have a number. But they may not get into circulation much either, unlike here with the Epcot boards.

However, after the first couple batches of fakes came out without numbers they learned they needed a number, so now I think it's more common to see a fake with a number. I think the font or size of the numbers may be wrong... but again, I don't know enough.
That at least gives me some things to check out.

Oh, and while not Paris... I saw your post on Facebook about the 100 Years of Dreams pin. Japan Disney Stores did sell the set on a different backer card than the US ones. The photo you showed is correct for Japan.

I think I mentioned, I read Facebook using an account that is not mine, so I don't like to respond to much, outside of one reseller who knows about me vs the FB I use.

Unless something has changed, as @hopemax and @Jabberwocky have stated, DLP's AP and PP pins do not have individual numbers. I believe I have two such pins; I would have to find them to be 100% sure, but instead of having a specific number out of the total edition size, the pins have a small metal bar in place of the specific number placed on top of the total edition size (which, if memory serves, is 1200)

But as you can tell by the edition size, those pins also are extremely old so my information may not be current and DLP may be doing things differently now.

Back