DLR - Aladdin Pin Trading Event Nov 16

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by pretty Omi, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

Well, I signed up. Hoping there will be some decent pin trading boards, maybe a surprise gift pin?
    Most importantly, I hope they get some incentive to start hosting more pin events on our side of the coast, or even a return to the Pin Trading Nights of old!

Who else can I see and meet there?

2. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I wasn't able to get a spot. :(

3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

Wow! the event sold out already? Amazing! Obviously some pent up demand.

4. Kitty

Kitty Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I'm going, check out my pinpics for now LittleMushroomAlice. I do hope the boards are as good as the LIAA ones. I don't need AP or PP pins, just maybe some Mickey's not so scary Halloween pins.

Sent from my 5056E using Tapatalk

5. TiggerSue

TiggerSue Want TIGGER PINS!!!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

This Event IS like the Disney Trading Nights of old. There will not be Trade Boards like at other paid Events at Epcot or DSSH. This Trading Night Event will have tables for trading between guests only. Read the info from Disney. IF there is a "Surprise Release" pin, it will be for SALE - not a Gift.

6. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

But the pin trading nights of old had pin trading boards. You could get pretty good pins off them, sometimes still AP and PP pins too.

7. TiggerSue

TiggerSue Want TIGGER PINS!!!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Maybe in DLR but, the weekly - then monthly Trading Nights at WDW (at the Contemporary and then other venues) never had Trading Boards.

8. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    107   0   0

I am attending tomorrow nights event as Disneyland.

Looking forward to it!!

9. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

Event was just ok. Not really worth the $15. I only got OE trades all night, nothing really great. Too many of the clique-y traders, and the other folks who just decide by looking at you they aren't interested in your pins. No trading boards, tho I gave that as feedback and the CMs said that was something they hadn't thought of. I was also a little bummed they didn't just open the snack stand fully. They only had pretzel bites for purchase, and drinks. I would have totally bought a baked potato dang it!
    I'm glad to see them trying to do events, but this was really lame compared to our old smaller events that used to be in the now gone Fronteirland area. I wish they'll just go back to the free PTN at the hotels.

Side note: People left their half eaten rice krispie treats everywhere, and that kinda pissed me off.

10. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    376   0   0

I mainly went to do pickups, and to experience my first RSP. Plus I was at DLR anyway hehe.

Pros: Beautifully set up with round tables, black table cloths, and white chairs.
    Organized pin order pick up area.
    I don't do a lot of trading but met some nice people and made one good trade.
    Beautiful background of Small World lit up with the Christmas lights!

Cons: Because it was night, and outside, the lighting on the tables was very poor. We were all using flashlights to see pins.
    There was a table to buy extra pins. The wait was forever because of everyone returning or exchanging. That should have been a separate table.
    The CM there was misinformed and told me since I already had 10 boxes, I could not buy 10 more. My helper, who also had 10 boxes, was able
    to buy a extra 10 with no problem. So that part was unorganized. Thank you to my Santa's helper for getting the extra 10 boxes that were
    requested here!
    Since this event was only available to those with a park ticket, it left a lot of people out. I agree it should be moved back to the hotel, and be free.

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  11. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    107   0   0

I attended the pin event, too.

I was so happy to see Disney holding another one. It's been a good 2 years since the last at the Paradise Pier Hotel (which they charged $10, and gave us some popcorn as a snack).

I agree with Pretty Omi and shekterkat on a few points.

-lighting was very poor.
    -and because it was held inside the park, vs at the hotel, not as many people could attend.
    -there was some confusion on being able to purchase additional pins, and the line was long at the beginning. However, after talking with one of the managers who was assisting with the RSP bags....come to find out, anyone was able to go up and purchase additional pins at the table. At the time I went up there to make a transaction there was no line. It had shortened as the evening progressed. Plus, they were also selling the other pins that have been released that day.

I am a very strong believer in Quality Customer Service. Thus, my enthusiasm to personally address and thank a few managing CM's that were there for hosting the event. I was told another one was being considered for the first of 2018...March-ish.

Every CM I spoke with, which is maybe 4-5, I did relate to them a few things: lighting; the need to get into the resort for the pin traders to attend. They were good about acknowledging that needed to be addressed for the future events.

I didn't make any trades...but, that's not unusual at these events for me. Various reasons behind that. (Pretty Omi, I can relate to the click-ish feeling; also that people don't smile enough, so to invite would be traders in to look at their books; there have been many times when attending pt events that traders look miserable, like "why am I here?"...so why approach them; a Smile, hello and my name is: _____, can go a long way to overcome that; just my personal opinion and experience). However, I was zapped 3 pins, 2 for a friend and one for my genie collection. Yay!

As for the half-eaten, rice-crispy treats that were left...unfortunately (and this is a pet peeve of mine) not all people are taught to clean up after themselves. I find this true at the pin trading tables in the parks; and else where. In my opinion, it's a privilege to pin trade with other guests, traders inside the park. So, we should be mature and show respect and clean up after ourselves, as well as be Guest/AP Disney Ambassadors.

All in all, it was fun. Yes, having the Small World all light up for the holidays, gave the area some ambience. Also, ever, EVERY CM I interacted with were very friendly and helpful.

I look forward to the next one.

In closing, I attended the last day at the February AP week. I had an opportunity to talk with one of the manager cast members. One of the things that came up was a using the Disney facebook AP page to send messages. Rather it be a compliment/complaint on a cast member; or suggestions etc. I have since done that and I have gotten replies. This would be a good resource to use to send feedback in regards to this event to anybody they attended.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.