• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do real 2012 mouse ear-hat pins have a border on the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do real 2012 mouse ear-hat pins have a border on the back?

LadyBarclay

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have heard that some or the more recent authentic Disney pins have borders on the back side. In other words, the mouse-head pattern does NOT run all the way up to and off the edge. Can anyone tell me if this is true for park-purchased mouse ear hat characters? I have Grumpy (#93704), recently took a good look at the back and saw the border, and I am wondering if he is a fake. Pinpics has notes for a scrapper, but not a fake. My Grumpy also has two paint dips.
Many thanks for any help.

I have a "real" Grumpy. Reverse is gold, no border, and serial number is printed above post on back.
ODPT is on left ear and Disney Made in China on right. Two nubs on on each side of post. I can try
to take a photo, but I take really bad photos. :)

momin.ator - thanks for your info. I don’t think I need a photo; it sounds like my pin (and BriV97’s, sorry to say) must be a fake. Mine has the gold back, the two nubs, and the ODPT and china on the correct sides, but it has a very obvious border. It also has some raised lines on the side of the pin. I will try and attach photos, so other newbies can see what the “border” looks like, which often indicates a counterfeit pin; and to show the lines I spotted along one side. (But I”ve never attached a photo before - we’ll see if I can do it or not!)

Edit - I can't figure out photos. I'll work on getting them posted.

Last edited:
Lady, I will try to post a photo of the "real" pin and you can try to post the "fake" pin and then
maybe people can see them side by side. I use photobucket to get my photos on here.

41a9e7aa2287e7324aa7a999629817cc.jpg

To me scrapper and fake are the same thing. If I saw this on a pin I'd think it was fake. But did you say you bought it at the park not traded?

maxtrexmom - Thanks so much for offering your pin! But I am not "collecting" him, just thought he was kinda cute. He'll go onto the bulletin board with my other "Disney push pins" (aka fakes). And no, I did not buy him from the park...I think I got him in a grab bag or super cheap when I first started collecting. Something I know better than to do now! :)

Hello,
I'm fairly new to pin trading but got hooked after our family trip to WDW in November. I traded for one of these Grumpy Hats in the park and it looks like I got one of the fakes, as pictured above.
My question is this: I've read that the authentic Disney pins have gotten lower in quality over the years, and some have borders from where they weren't cut just right (not raised, around the edges, but not cut to the edge). Is this correct? Are there any legit pins where the Mickey's on the back look like the ones on this fake?
One more question: I have looked and looked for information on the printed serial number on pins, but cannot find information on which pins should have them and which should not, and how they work. (Some are printed on, but some from sets or mystery bags, (i.e. nesting dolls), are part of the mold rather than printed.) I read once that you can do a serial number lookup to verify that it is legit, but can't find how to do that either.
I know this could go into a different post, but it seemed relevant to ask here since this is specifically one of the pins from my collection that I was wondering about. Maybe in addition to answering these questions, someone could point me to a good definitive post about fakes? I really have tried, but just find individual examples as the one above. (PS. Speaking of, thank you both for posting the fake and authentic for side by side comparison!! I rarely see that and it is most helpful.)

Thanks so much,
-Jody

Hello Jody
Some pins do indeed have the edge around them despite being genuine but as far as I know they're mostly DSF Pins not WDW/DLR so they have ice cream pattern backs not mickey head pattern .

I've only ever read and heard that no real pins will ever have borders like that. That's a classic sign of a scrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back