Do you collect any other dolls besides Disney?

Discussion in 'Other Disney Collectibles' started by Brii59, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Brii59

Brii59 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Just thought I would take a little poll to keep us going before the release of LE Ariel and the Fairty tale Couples...... recently I've been getting into american girl dolls, and have even been searching for a dream rush Chucky Good Guy doll ( the nice looking Chucky). Are you guys into other dolls, collectibles etc....?

2. blue2581

blue2581 Member

0   0   0

I pick up Monster High dolls here and there and I really love the, Ever After High line coming out

3. PrincessxJasmine89

PrincessxJasmine89 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

I do! ^_^ I am currently trying to collect Twilight dolls (Mattel), but I'm not getting very far :lol: I also collect some older Mattel dolls that tie in with films (e.g. Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind), and also Anastasia dolls, but I think a lot of others on the forum collect Anya dolls too :) I haven't branched out very far into other styles of dolls besides Barbie type fashion dolls, although I do have about 3 or 4 china dolls :)

4. MegglesM

MegglesM Will Work For Stickers

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I have two J-Dolls (Via Appia and Promenade des Anglais). I also have a few barbies- Morgan Le Fey, I Dream of Jeannie (the original, not reproduction), Wicked Witch of the West (not sure which version, but she's got a blue flying monkey applique on her skirt), and LOTR characters (Arwen, Aaragorn, and Galadrial).
    I have Samantha from the American Girl dolls, but after they got rid of her and Felicity I kinda gave up on that line (seriously, the line is called American Girls and they retire the one from the Revolutionary War and their only suffragette?).

5. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Snow Queen

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I have had many different types of dolls, but right now it is just Disney, Winx, and the new Ever After High dolls. I also have some Asian Ball-Jointed dolls, though I do not collect anymore. I have owned: Blythes, Pullips, American Girls, Brass Key, Tonner, Fashion Doll Agency, Ellowyne Widle, Barbie, and probably more I cannot think of right now.

Here is the thing: mainly growing up I had Disney 11 "fashion" size dolls. Then I got rid of them went through puberty, etc. I got back into dolls as a young teen because of the Anime trend, and started collecting all different types of dolls up until recently (last year or two) but none ever gave me that same feeling as looking at Disney dolls. They just take me back to a happy time and place. So I slowly cleared out my collection, I just have dolls I adore now.

I do plan to expand my collection to include some mid 2000's lines. I kind of had a "childhood renaissance" when I was taking care of my sister while my mother wasn't around. We were really close and created a world with our dolls, it was how I taught her life lessons and social interaction. She was a very reserved child and couldn't always get her feeling out except by playing with dolls. In our doll world, called "Minitown" there were no mothers, and sisters raised all the kids. It is kind of funny to look back on. But I did fall in love with the dolls of the time period, including: Winx, Mew Mew Power, W.I.T.C.H, Disney Fairies (from the books), and Magical Do Re Mi. I am really excited for Evere After High because it reminds me of this style, and I usually go for new interpretations of things (esp. Winx & Disney) instead of trying to hunt down over-priced vintage dolls.

6. Brii59

Brii59 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have always thought monster high dolls were adorable, but they come out with so many dolls, so quickly, that I could never keep up.... Not to mention disney dolls are expensive, well LE ones are.

7. Brii59

Brii59 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Honestly I have to admit I like the goty line of american girl. Kanani is my favorite doll ever from ag, also, did u know they are retiring molly this year. I'm pretty sure all the original historical will be wiped out completely eventually.

8. Brii59

Brii59 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

whoa aren't those bjd dolls expensive??? I've never seen one in person but I watch " face-ups" on YouTube with those dolls and I dream of doing that as well

9. laura_uk

laura_uk Living The Dream

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I've recently started to collect the 'I can be' Barbie range, I did collect Draculaura from the Monster High range but got bored of them quite quickly (luckily I only had 5 dolls and they sold well) so now its just Jasmine and Barbie

I also like anything Catwoman and WWE Divas (but that's figures)

10. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Snow Queen

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

That's why I got out, let's just say my most expensive doll was $1400..... and that means you only get so many dolls. I am still always so happy to see a LE doll that is amazing, has all the clothes/hair/make-up/accessories, and is under $200. Wooo Hooo!

When I collected BJDs it was the ONLY thing I could collect, and it took months just to get one, not to mention saving the "fun" money for it. I much prefer dolls I can grab in a store now. If I can find some photos of my BJDs I'll post them here later.

11. serafina

serafina Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm in danger of becoming an Ever After High Collector 0_0 They haven't even been released yet but...Maaybe!

I have one BJD doll that I have had for about 6 years.
    2 Monster High dolls
    (and 4 Disney dolls) I've been very good and selective, not sure how long I can keep it up!!
    I'm thinking of getting one Poppy Parker doll...I have been admiring a while.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  12. PrincessxJasmine89

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

+1 on the Ever After High collecting dangers :facepalm: :lol:

I ADORE the look of Apple White and Maddie Hatter, but I'm slowly falling for Briar Beauty, too... this may be an expensive year! :lol:

13. serafina

serafina Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ooh I know, Apple White looks gorgeous. I'm very excited about the EA release of Cupid with feathery (well, moulded feather) wings, grecian-like dress, and pale pink hair o__0 I may die
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-G7KgipOTemE/Uai4wa8UzqI/AAAAAAAAB-k/zQASSh3bcYE/s1600/cupid+comparison.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  14. PrincessxJasmine89

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

Oh my! She is beautiful, sheesh... I can't start another collection, but I CANNOT RESIST!!!!

All you US collectors are lucky LOL, I bet these will be impossible to find in the UK... here's hoping for the best! :D

15. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Snow Queen

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I'm literally stalking every EAH page for info and sightings, can't wait until they hit the West Coast!

16. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

I have a few Barbie dolls:
    Barbie & Ken as Star Trek (1960s outfits)
    Barbie as Vivien Leigh portraying Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind - green velvet (drapery) dress
    Barbie as Scarlett (Hollywood Legends) - green velvet dress
    Queen Amidala (both the ones that originally retailed for $20 and the ones that retailed for $80) - 3 or 4 of each
    Princess Leia - the white outfit at the end of A New Hope and the Slave Leia outfit (FAO Schwartz exclusive, I think)
    Some Hallmark Holiday ones
    Barbie as a Chinese Empress (so cute!)

and a few others ones, mainly her as a brunette

17. Mermaid's_grotto

Mermaid's_grotto aka Damu

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Um depends what you mean by collect, like actively? (I have many from my childhood so I still have Sindy/Barbie/Thumbelina/Swan Princess/Anastasia/Quest for Camelot/King & I from that time etc)
    Since getting back into collecting a few years ago the only non Disney I've acquired are 1 Barbie repro and a few Integrity dolls.

18. Pirate Princess Ari

Pirate Princess Ari KraftyKitsune

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Monster High collector here! Been collecting them since they first came out (I go by KraftyKitsune in that fandom) and buy all the basics/first releases of a character. I just love the details and poseability, not the mention the originality of the line. For those not too familiar with the MH dolls, did you know each character so far has had a different face mold completely? They're not like Barbie where it's the same one repainted different ways. Things like face shape, ears, noses, cheekbones, etc. are all different. And the bodies! We're talking fins, webbed hands, claws, fading limbs for a ghost, tails, scales, stitches and even a full skeleton body!

And while it's not a collection due to being only one, I do have a Legolas Barbie which I love; wish I could get the other LotR dolls for a decent price.

19. The Wise One

The Wise One Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I like Wizard of Oz dolls, and I wish I could have some of the lovely Mattel Gone With the Wind dolls that have come out over the years. Especially Scarlet in the green curtain dress.

20. blue2581

blue2581 Member

0   0   0

Oh yes they do!! When I first started buying MH, I was getting caught up in the, have to have it mode. However, I've realized that I don't have the space to be like that. So now, I only have the original ones, I don't buy the variants. The only variants that I kept, were the Target exclusives of Scarily Ever After and the current Power Ghouls. Disney, is my main collection, it brings me the most joy;)

21. blue2581

blue2581 Member

0   0   0

The Ever After High dolls have been popping up in Justice stores here in the US. I keep telling myself, that I'll only get Maddie Hatter and Raven.....However, I like Apple White too!! It's so hard to limit myself sometimes, I feel like an addict!!!

22. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Snow Queen

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Only in the Mid-West and East Coast so far. I am DYING over here on the West Coast to get these gals. Justice is a seriously terrifying store though, all the worst things from middle school come rushing back.

23. blue2581

blue2581 Member

0   0   0

Yeah, I live in Texas and I've been calling Justices and they said the dolls will be out for fall....In the past, usually Texas will get the dolls, a couple weeks after the mid west and east coast. Have you seen any of the reviews done on YouTube? I LOvE the MADD Hatter so I'm very excited.

24. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Snow Queen

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

My top two are Maddie and Apple right now, though I have a feeling I am going to love the Ashylnn two-pack. I've been checking the unofficial EFH FB page for sightings as well as eBay to see where the dolls are coming in. If I have to wait until fall I'll just grab them at a Target or TRU. I plan to start calling Justice once a week to check about them, I am totally obsessed! Also, with how secret and unwilling to reveal teasers Disney has been with dolls lately (I know that are saving it all for the bloody expo) I am feeling a little less excited for Disney dolls right now. You've gotta take care of your customers and give them something to dream about and look forward too.

25. blue2581

blue2581 Member

0   0   0

I totally agree!! I'm moving to So Cal in February to finish school and I will DEF be going to events, including the pin events at the Disney Soda Fountain shop. It's very annoying to not have the same access as the people going to the expo will.Then we are faced with having to find a decent seller who hasn't tripled the price, especially with the pins and Vinylmations. I really want the Belle and Beast vinylmation that's being sold at the expo, she's wearing her pink dress, from the snow scene.