Do you collect any other dolls besides Disney?

Discussion in 'Other Disney Collectibles' started by Brii59, Jul 7, 2013.

1. TinkerTigg

TinkerTigg Member

0   0   0

Question...does anyone know if Monster High is making another Friday the 13th doll again this year? Cause...that's this Friday. I LOVE Catty and really hope they keep doing that theme.

2. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Wow those are some big sizes! When you said you had a 70cm boy, you say that in past tense - do you not have him any more? Do you sell on dolls that you decide you don't want in your collection any more? I'm glad you don't mind the questions, as I like talking about them too! It's fascinating to hear about them.

Makies do seem really cool in that respect. Plus I just love the fact that they are made in London - all dolls I see seem to be made in Asia or elsewhere, they're the only British ones I've come across. I love that you can choose every single aspect of them, too. I've made a couple using the app on the website and it's really fun to see them develop as you choose all the bits. I love that they can have elf ears, too! I've read three or four reviews now and actually, no one really has much that is negative to say. One person found the clothes weren't great quality but then Makies took that on board and have improved them, and another wasn't a fan of the original face shape as it was very blocky but again, the company listened to that feedback and developed a new, nicer face shape. I guess because they're a pretty small company they are keen to listen to what customers say and improve where they can. There's a forum on the site, and they have a thread where people can make suggestions, and another where the staff share their clothing patterns (for free!). I think I've fallen in love with the company almost as much as the dolls :p. I will follow your advice though and keep researching. There's no rush for me to make a decision after all, I'd have to save up if I did decide to get one so I can just keep thinking about it for months :p.

I think I won't worry too much about the brush, I'll just grab a wire one if I see it in a shop but stick with the doll's own one for now. I need to pick up some bobby pins and straws for curling though!

What a beautiful photo! I really like the O'Hair girls, I find that it's really clear that they're twins, but they also seem to have such clearly different personalities. Ever After High just keeps on impressing me, really!

Oh! I saw that Hat-Tastic Cedar Wood is now listed in the shop on Mattel's US website, in case anyone was looking for her. The hat is to die for <3.

3. Argentine

Argentine All glory to the Helix!

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

I had him back when I first entered the hobby. :) After about 2 years, I took a break and sold all of my dolls (Including him, and a different SOOM girl). I took about a 5 year break from bjds then. Now I'm in a better position to buy and take care of my dolls, plus I know more people who are into it now.

What are Makies made of? It looks like they have some of the same customization options that bjds have, such as faceups, wigs, etc. I'm willing to bet a lot of people will be making clothes for their dolls, so I wouldn't be surprised if some Etsy shops opened up. But that is wonderful that the company listens so well to its customers! I sometimes wish Disney did the same, lol!

Someone posted Hat-Tastic Cedar pictures on tumblr, and oh my god she is so cute! I still haven't been able to find basic Cedar, so I might just wait for hat-tastic Cedar instead. She is so stinkin' adorable! I also love Hat-Tastic Cerise. They had her in the stockroom at my Target, and they brought out the box for me and let me grab one. My Target is suddenly so helpful and wonderful. They need to do a reset of their aisles, though. They have the Twins, Hat-Tastic, Ghoul Sports, and all sorts of things in the stockroom, but none on the floor!

4. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Oh I see. I'm glad you got back into it :). Do you collect anything else besides dolls and pins? As a side note, I noticed that you and I both collect Oliver from Oliver and Company, which made me smile! I don't see many other Oliver collectors.

I believe it is ABS plastic but I'm not 100% certain. They are made using 3D printers, I know that much. They do have different wigs available, and eyes too I believe. In terms of face-up, I think they come with just a light factory face up (tiny bit of eyebrow and lip paint) but it can be easily removed if people want to do their own. They look cute without any face-up too because of the shaped eyebrows and general cuteness of the face. I'm sure Etsy shops stocking clothes for them will appear. I think they fit a lot of the clothes that Hujoos do, so there's already clothes on the market that they can wear. In their shop they have a kit for people who have 3D printers, it contains a memory stick with the files for a bunch of items to print (including shoes and glasses) and a variety of colours of plastic to use. I think it's really neat, although I do wonder how common it is for people to have 3D printers, they seem very expensive to me... Totally agree about wishing Disney listened to their customers as well as Makies do!

I think I like Hat-tastic Cedar more than signature Cedar. The hat is adorable, her shoes are amazing, and her teacup set may be the best one. I wasn't hugely fussed by her signature doll but I love the Hat-tastic one. I keep having to remind myself that I can only collect Maddie :p.

What a weird way of having their stock. Why wouldn't they just put them out on the shop floor for people to buy? They're a business, after all... Still, great for you and other collectors where you live, it gives you first dibs on the new dolls!

5. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Aside from dolls and pins, I collect Pokemon (mainly Fennekin and Eevee) merchandise! It's just something I never really outgrew, since I've been playing the games for years and years. <3 And yes!! I LOVE Oliver! That movie would always make me cry as a kid (the beginning, at least), but I loved it so much. I've also noticed that there are a ton of collectors, so it makes it extra special when you spot one! ;)

That actually sounds pretty genius. I love hearing about 3D printers in particular, and all of the amazing things they are doing with them. But yeah... I don't think I know a single person with a 3D printer. It can't be all that common. :lol:

I think they probably will 'reset' the aisles at some point. But there just are other things to do, I guess. But it is nice enough that they will bring the box out for you.

Does anyone here own a Pullip doll? They looks so amazingly adorable! I'm torn between three different ones, but I was wondering if anyone here actually owned one. They are still pretty pricey, and I wonder if they are worth the price.

6. ElysionsPrincess

ElysionsPrincess Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Can I just say that SOOM's resin is garbage though? My MD Chrom is the only doll of my 5 that has shown any yellowing at all, and his is extreme. His stomach is a completely different color than his exposed skin, and I keep my dolls in an unlit room. With heavy curtains. -_-

7. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Wow, really?? It must be pretty hit or miss. Most SOOM dolls I see have yellowed pretty evenly. I do think certain batches had problems, though. I remember reading about a tan batch from a couple of years ago that was prone to greening. :eek: Maybe it was Chalco, but I'm not sure. It wasn't pretty though. I didn't hang on to my earliest ones long enough to notice. :x But if Ignim has any so far, it's even. I always liked the resin though, as a personal preference. I like how it feels compared to other companies (luts, dream of doll, migidoll). <3

8. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Damn, I wrote a really long and detailed comment and then for some reason it deleted instead of posting! I'll have to see how much I can remember...

Yay for Oliver collectors! It's my favourite Disney film by far :).

Do you follow someone called Raydelsol (I may have spelt that wrong) on Tumblr? They've been posting a lot about a kickstarter for a 3D printed doll, where all the rewards are files for printing the doll and accessories on a 3D printer. It's been fully funded, so there must be at least a handful of people out there with a 3D printer! The doll, Quinn, is pretty cool. Very different style to the Makies, and they even print the eyes!

I don't own a Pullip but I've seen a few photos. I like the character themed ones such as the Peter Pan sets. I prefer Pullip's face to Dal's pout, plus there's another one I find quite cute, I think it's Isul? If you are interested in customising, I saw a review on Confessions of a Doll Collector's Daughter of a 'Make it Own' kit that comes with the body, head, blank eye chips and eye mechanism for you to put together yourself. Then you just add clothes, face-up and wig and you have your own custom Pullip. They seem pretty reasonable, I think she said it was about $40 on Pullipstyle's shop. Let me know if you want a link to the review and I'll see if I can find it. It might be a good starter level :).

Which three are you torn between? They seem pretty popular, I don't recall seeing anyone disappointed with theirs. I did also see someone found some bargain ones at a shop that I think was called Tuesday Morning. Worth looking out for, perhaps?

9. ElysionsPrincess

ElysionsPrincess Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Maybe that's what it is! Lol. I love love love the way it feels (so much better than luts and DoD). Maybe I just got unlucky xc
    And green? Dear God I think I would blow a gasket

10. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Oh no!! I've done that before. Like, my internet cut out and I lost a whole post.

I don't follow them, but it sounds like something I should look into. :eek: Sounds cool!

Yeah, I only really like the Pullip face. :x The other ones are fine, but they aren't ones I would pay $100 for. The Peter Pan set is really cute, though!! I was actually looking at Pullipstyle yesterday, but I didn't really think about the custom option. I'll take a look at it today. :D I'd love the link to the review if you can find it.

I stuck between these three: (Classical Alice, Paja, and Alice du Jardin)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Rayedelsol posts a lot of great stuff actually, they often have the first updates on upcoming EAH dolls, and just posted pictures of the new Briar thronecoming set.

Here's the review: http://dollyconfessions.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/dolly-review-groove-make-it-own-kit/

It looks like great fun to build and customise your own. If you go to the homepage on the blog after you've enjoyed the review, and scroll down a little, you'll find a post she wrote about Puddle, which was a big Pullip gathering she went to last week. There are some lovely photos, and links to a few Etsy shops that sell nice Pullip clothes. I think there was also a picture of her Makie in that post too :).

Oh my goodness, those three are absolutely precious! I can see why you are torn. I particularly like the classic Alice, but then as you've probably worked out from my Maddie collection, I have a soft spot for Alice in Wonderland in general. I do love Alice du Jardin's outfit and cute face-up :). I'm sure whichever one you choose, you'll love, as they're all beautiful.

12. blairbearbear

blairbearbear Member

0   0   0

hey guys! just a heads up to fellow ever after high doll fans.
    target currently has all the thronecoming and hat-tastic dolls in stock. i just ordered mine :3

13. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Ah, exciting for you guys! I hope that the Hat-tastic dolls will soon find their way to the UK. I'm thinking they may appear about September, does that sound likely?

I've taken lots of photos of my Maddie with her in-between-hair-washes look, I'll pop a picture up on here if any of you want to see :).

14. JanuaryGarnet

JanuaryGarnet Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I've been watching reviews for the Thronecoming dolls on YouTube, and I'm not thrilled with the final makeup on Raven. I loved the glittery swirls on the prototype, so I was disappointed in the painted on diamonds and sparkles. Guess I can save my dollars.

15. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

I'm not thrilled with the Thronecoming makeup, either. I just think it's too much, like the Ghouls rule dolls that will sit on the shelves for all eternity. :| I really love Cupid's outfit, though. But I might end up passing on that whole line. I'm just waiting for Legacy Day wave 2 right now.

So, I ended up getting a totally different Pullip than the ones before. I stumbled across pictures of her on flickr, and I was sold. She's a Pullip Kirsche! I just really love her red hair and bold colors. <3

[​IMG]

16. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Oh she's beautiful! I'm glad you found the right one for you :). You know, ever since you posted that picture of the Classic Alice Pullip, I can't stop looking them up online and trying to find reasonably priced Pullips in the UK. It's a bit of an impossible search although there's a couple of naked generic ones on eBay that I'm watching. I love the Alice ones but they're just way too expensive for me. Costs more than a Makie, and if I'm going to drop a lot on a doll (at least, it's a lot for me) then a Makie will be the first one I go for. Perhaps when/if I get a Makie, I'll just have to make an Alice outfit for her :).

I totally blame you for my newfound obsession of searching for Pullips though... :p

17. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Hahaha! Blame away! My obsession is about as new as yours, though. :lol: I just keep going through all sorts of flickr searches. So many pretty Pullips! I'm going to try and get Alice at a later time (probably a long while from now), since I think she'll be relatively easy for me to find. Kirsche is a 2008 Pullip, so she is getting harder to find new, so I went ahead and pounced when I found a dealer who had her. Pullips are pricey, which is why I'm confined to only Kirsche at the moment! And I only got her because I had some extra cash from dog-sitting. But I hope you can get Alice, someday! She is so pretty. <3 Of course I'd love to see your Makie too, should you end up getting one. :)

18. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Haha, at least we have company in our obsessing. Mine is restricted to looking at pictures, so you'll have to post loads of photos of your lovely Kirsche when she arrives! Hopefully one day we'll both have Alice... in an ideal world, eh? :) I'm working on saving up for a Makie, in the very least. In the meantime, I'll just keep making new designs on the site.

In case anyone wants to see, here's my signature Maddie:
    [​IMG]
    I can't get over how beautiful she is <3. I keep looking over at her sitting on my shelf and smiling.
    There's a couple more photos here if anyone is interested.

19. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

I will definitely post lots of photos! She shipped today, so hopefully she'll be here sometime next week. :)

And yay!! Great pictures, Maddie is so pretty! <3 I love the variant so much. I hope I can grab her too, someday. But for now I can enjoy your lovely photos. My Target now has all of the variants, but for whatever reason, they never have Maddie. She must be super popular or something, because they have everybody else but her! :p EDIT: I also started following you on tumblr (mine is Foxilery)!

20. blairbearbear

blairbearbear Member

0   0   0

oh man i love pullips too! their tiny little outfits are just too adorable!

if you're still interested in classical alice, there's a dent box sale of her on pullipstyle.
    still a bit pricey, but slightly better x3

21. MadWild

MadWild Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Well, the two nude Pullips I was watching on eBay got too expensive for me :(. One hadn't even met the reserve yet and was still more than I could afford! Oh well, hopefully more will come along in the future. I just wish they were more common in the UK, so few of the listings are within the country and international postage makes any reasonably priced ones much more expensive.

I hope yours arrives soon so you can post some pictures! Thanks for following me on Tumblr by the way, I got the email but haven't been online until today so haven't had a chance to follow back (also explains why this thread has been without my witterings for a few days).

Random Q, but does anyone here have the Alice in Wonderland themed Liv doll? I think it was Sophie as Alice. I saw her in a blog post and she is stunning but so far all my searches for her have proven fruitless. I'm assuming because the doll came out a long time ago, and the line is discontinued, that it will be a nigh-on impossible one to get hold of, but if anyone here has one and has any pictures to share then that would be nice :).

22. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Kirsche arrived today! I'll work on getting some pictures now. :) She's a lot bigger than I thought she would be.

I also managed to score Thronecoming Cupid and Blondie! Cupid has a tiny bit of eye wonk, but the other Cupid in the case was terrible. A Target employee was kind enough to bring the case out. I'm beginning to think they will never re-set the doll aisle, but I might keep Cupid in her box for a while and see if I can exchange her. But I'm absolutely dying for the wave 2 Legacy Day dolls. It's killing me. I need all three of them so badly, but I won't shell out the inflated price to toots toys. I need to find a hookup in Canada or something...

23. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

@Argentine:

My target had about 6 of the new cupid's if i find one with a nice face do you want?

24. Argentine

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

I think I'm ok for now, but thank you for offering!! <3 Her head is kind of tilted in the box, so I'm thinking that it actually isn't that bad at all. I might open her up and see, and if I don't like it, I can always get her re-painted later. :)

Here is a quick picture of my Kirsche! I only managed to get one good shot before I lost the light, though. :|
    [​IMG]

25. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

Okies :3

I want the Freya BJD so bad ;w; I wish I could afford it..lol