• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Does anyone else find it strange that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else find it strange that...

NutMeg

The Nefarious N.M.G.
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
...there's never been *any* Hunchback character on a Disneyland Paris PTN pin? Not Quasimodo, not Esmeralda, not Frollo, not Phoebus, not Clopin, not Djali, not even those damn gargoyles that everyone hates. Quasi, Esmeralda, and I think two of the gargoyles have all been released as cast lanyard refreshers to accompany different PTN releases, and many of the film's characters have been included in Pin Trader's Delight, a similar monthly series. Yet for some reason, in all the years of PTN, they've somehow never gotten around to Hunchback.

You'd think out of all the parks, DLP would be the one to remember Hunchback. Paris is, after all, the setting of the film, which is of course based on one of France's most iconic works of fiction. It's not as if the French disavow the film or find it especially offensive - certainly not in the way that many Native Americans take issue with Pocahontas, and both Poca and Meeko have been given PTN pins.

So what's the deal? It's especially odd when you consider all of the random, obscure characters who have been featured in the series. For example...

The unnamed owl whooo (get it?) dances with Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, before being shoved aside by Prince Philip and never seen or heard from again...

ooXuOuL.jpg

Two nearly identical pins for the anonymous birds who help Cinderella get dressed. Hey, it's about time these two got some recognition for putting that lazy ingrate's clothes on. Did they get to go to a fancy ball? I think not...

T6khXFY.jpg

1xTNwob.jpg

The sexy marionette doll from Pinocchio that frankly makes me rather uncomfortable. Stromboli was kind of a perv...

kE9IlIk.jpg

The aptly named Da Shrimp, aka the Lobster Mobster's trusty sidekick, from the 90's Little Mermaid TV show. He was in 3 whole episodes, ok??

fv0je6o.jpg

Who could forget that wisecracking scamp Uncle Max, from the straight-to-DVD sequel The Lion King 1 1/2? Man, I could quote him all day...

LXr1htv.png

Two separate pins for the geese, whose names I don't feel like googling right now, from The Aristocats...

DLJoAWJ.png

k3vFD2p.jpg

These two characters, whose names I don't feel like googling right now, from the widely reviled Cars 2. And no, these weren't released in conjunction with the film to help promote it; they had the audacity to thrust these upon us a year later...

j4JHmK9.jpg

6kpnIwA.jpg

Dusty, from the completely undeserved Cars spin-off Planes (part of the Cars extended cinematic universe), which inexplicably earned a theatrical release. They actually had the nerve to charge $17 for this, which is $4 more than they charged for that Rapunzel PTN on your grails list. The existence of this pin - nay, this film - remains a mystery to this day...

3Ld5uzk.jpg

Come on Disney. You're telling me Dusty got a PTN pin before Esmeralda?? Freaking DUSTY?!?!?

jwMyr6b.gif

Seriously though, I do appreciate when Disney gives some pin love to lesser known properties, rather than always churning out popular characters that are guaranteed to sell. I watched the Little Mermaid cartoon as a kid and it's fun to see a nostalgic throwback to that. (Side note: Does anyone else really want a pin of Mozerath from the Aladdin TV show? Does anyone else remember Mozerath from the Aladdin TV show?) And I really don't mean to sound entitled, as if I'm whining about how I deserve more pins for my specific collections.

Still, I honestly find it pretty bizarre that Hunchback hasn't made any appearance whatsoever in this series. I know it's not the most well-remembered Disney film, but even "flops" like Brother Bear and Chicken Little have popped up in PTN. I think (although I could be mistaken) that the only other major films that haven't yet been featured are Treasure Planet and Atlantis. While it would definitely be cool to see those as well, their absence is more understandable since both - unlike Hunchback - did poorly at the box office and weren't part of the Disney Golden Age or Renaissance era.

But tbh I mostly just wrote this for the humor of it. :)

Please post any other PTN pins that you find random and/or funny! I probably missed some good ones.

Note: I apologize if you're a fan of any of the characters/films I've disparaged in this post. I can assure you it was only in jest. I'm sure there's a very robust Planes fan base out there...

R1fdEt3.gif

Last edited:
Perhaps Paris doesn't consider HoND to be a great film? Or it's just not as popular there as it is elsewhere?

Similar thing in Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland. You would think Mulan would be big there, right? But to them, Mulan is just another Chinese girl

I do agree with your points , and especially given last year was the 20th Anniversary I thought a PTN would have been a given . All I can add is that when you visit DLP there is virtually no mention anywhere of the film , no characters appearing , nothing . I think I saw Frollo once at a Halloween parade but never Esmeralda .

Perhaps Paris doesn't consider HoND to be a great film? Or it's just not as popular there as it is elsewhere?

Similar thing in Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland. You would think Mulan would be big there, right? But to them, Mulan is just another Chinese girl

Huh, I've heard everything to the contrary, I've heard that in Shangai they LOVE Mulan! That's everyone's favorite part of the parade

The aptly named Da Shrimp, aka the Lobster Mobster's trusty sidekick, from the 90's Little Mermaid TV show. He was in 3 whole episodes, ok??

fv0je6o.jpg

I... think I need this pin...
They actually have been putting the Little Mermaid series on the Disney Jr app and I've been reliving all those memories. I was surprised how much of it I remember accurately, including all the stupid things Da Shrimp would say XD

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where any nation considers Cars 2 a better film than Hunchback of Notre Dame...

hC0tm6Q.gif

Also doesn't Mulan have a pretty big presence at the Shanghai park? She's in the parade and the castle ride, if I'm not mistaken, plus I think she has her own special area for meet and greets. Even if she's not super popular with Chinese people, it seems like they know tourists will want to see her there.

I... think I need this pin...
They actually have been putting the Little Mermaid series on the Disney Jr app and I've been reliving all those memories. I was surprised how much of it I remember accurately, including all the stupid things Da Shrimp would say XD

Really?!? Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna have to check that out. I came across a pic of Manta recently and it was crazy how my memories of him came flooding back! I could immediately hear Tim Curry's awesome voice. The villains on that show were so creepy (in a good way.) I also remember the freaky disembodied head lady from the cave.

Come to think of it, the Aladdin TV show was pretty creepy, too... the 90's were a weird time for the Disney Channel.

zRWeM08.png

Last edited:
Really?!? Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna have to check that out. I came across a pic of Manta recently and it was crazy how my memories of him came flooding back! I could immediately hear Tim Curry's awesome voice. The villains on that show were so creepy (in a good way.) I also remember the freaky disembodied head lady from the cave.

Come to think of it, the Aladdin TV show was pretty creepy, too... the 90's were a weird time for the Disney Channel.

zRWeM08.png

Yep! 31 Episodes! I wish they'd bring back the Aladdin series somewhere! If Da Shrimp gets a pin, then Mozenrath should totally get one too!

Yep! 31 Episodes! I wish they'd bring back the Aladdin series somewhere! If Da Shrimp gets a pin, then Mozenrath should totally get one too!

Woo!! Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I don't look too weird watching Disney Junior at the gym, lol. Totally agree about the Mozenrath pin - he was in way more episodes than Da Shrimp! And they really do need to bring back Aladdin (and the Hercules and Timon & Pumbaa shows, too!) I can't believe they've never gotten a DVD release! There's such a huge market for 90's nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back