• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF Line UPDATE! 1/30/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSF Line UPDATE! 1/30/13
It doesn't matter who told me; im not trying to make an issue out of it. Again I apologize if I said too much or the wrong thing.

That guy and another lady (who almost everyone can recall a negative experience with her) were just instigators all night/day. They kept complaining about kids running around / having fun EVEN when they were sitting down coloring and not bothering anyone. He aggravated a guy just walking by that everyone just ignored and then had the audacity to say "What are you going to do, kick my **s?" and then got scared when the box cutter got pulled out. The rest of the people in line were civil and stuck together for the general safety of everyone.

The whole line up was actually pretty calm there is just a few number of people who like to complain any chance they can, just to be heard and the few bad apples that ruin it for everyone trying to pass the time talking about pins / random stuff.

I had a blast being your neihbor in line!!! see you tomorrow! good luck on your exam! best wishes!

That guy and another lady (who almost everyone can recall a negative experience with her) were just instigators all night/day. They kept complaining about kids running around / having fun EVEN when they were sitting down coloring and not bothering anyone. He aggravated a guy just walking by that everyone just ignored and then had the audacity to say "What are you going to do, kick my **s?" and then got scared when the box cutter got pulled out. The rest of the people in line were civil and stuck together for the general safety of everyone.

The whole line up was actually pretty calm there is just a few number of people who like to complain any chance they can, just to be heard and the few bad apples that ruin it for everyone trying to pass the time talking about pins / random stuff.

it was my first time experience with said individual and I don't want to go through that again, I bit my tounge after listening to 24 hours of gripe radio commercial free! lol! but for the most part we had fun GIS and and wife and you were perfect neihbors and it was great putting names to faces! and loved seeing Marissa and we know Jordan was secretly loving Marissa, she bought him and orange juice and I bought myself one when we were having breakfast I accidently drank the juice Marissa gave Joran! oooooo I got an earful, Jordan was mad because I drank the juice bought for him by his friend Marissa! lol, oops my bad!

My son and I , who VISITED (got crap walking food in thinking I was cutting in line at 7:30 PM), last night, asked are we camping out tonight. Nope, he has school Friday. :) We have waited in lines, ran to a line, stood in line and slept in lines since he was 4 months old. Yes, DLR would put a wristband on his 4 month old wrist asleep in his stroller. DLR has changed many times to ease them to not have lines. Do they work? Can I say PODM?

As long as there is a Limited Edition collectible that is wanted by people in excess of the LE #, there will be a line for that product.

Why do Black Fridays do so well? Lines for, I would say, LE 5-10? If its a game consul, TV, phone or anything few of the many want, people will do what it takes to get that item.

What happens the day after it sells out, nothing. People talk. People complain. People make plans for the next release of an item. And it all happens all over again.

Those who can get - get. Those who can't - complain or trade.

I have been in both worlds. I assume the reader of my comment here has also. It was nice that Nelson (who has seen my son since 2006 grow up at DSF) asked me to leave and I was an outsider looking in at the rail in the alley. You can take it as a maturity ward and visiting time was over or, me included, once the rails go up, we're all a bunch of animals in the alley cage.

I'm not "lucky" enough to be near DSF for these releases, but how's this for a system?:

- Anyone can show up at DSF at any time to register as a potential buyer for limited edition releases
- Adults must show photo ID to register; children (pick a minimum age at which one could reasonably expect a child to be interested in collecting) would be registered as a child of "X" adult
- Registered people get a unique ID and password for use at any at all releases
- When a release in imminent, anyone who wants a chance at the pin signs up for a lottery online
- Winners of the lottery are notified by email and given a 'ticket' with a scan-able barcode (the barcode would help things move quickly when they show up to buy their pin
- Winners show up during a specified period (maybe 24 or 48 hours) to buy their pin

Everyone gets a fair shot and no lines.

Hopefully DSF will have another "meeting" and discuss their protocols and procedures for giving out wristbands, because it still doesn't make sense to me that they wouldnt give them out once 75 people are lined up..why make the entire group camp out till friday morning when they couldve ended it on Thursday afternoon. Anyway, congrats to those who received their wristbands this morning. My girlfriend (cat) braved 2 nights..looks like i'll be camping out the next few months! hahaha have a great day everyone!

+ 1,ooo for poor Cat, but we had fun! Especially when we were plotting a way to storm through the back alley just so her, EJ and Dakota could get close up with the girl from the hunger games. :rofl:

I'm not "lucky" enough to be near DSF for these releases, but how's this for a system?:

- Anyone can show up at DSF at any time to register as a potential buyer for limited edition releases
- Adults must show photo ID to register; children (pick a minimum age at which one could reasonably expect a child to be interested in collecting) would be registered as a child of "X" adult
- Registered people get a unique ID and password for use at any at all releases
- When a release in imminent, anyone who wants a chance at the pin signs up for a lottery online
- Winners of the lottery are notified by email and given a 'ticket' with a scan-able barcode (the barcode would help things move quickly when they show up to buy their pin
- Winners show up during a specified period (maybe 24 or 48 hours) to buy their pin

Everyone gets a fair shot and no lines.

It's a good idea, but setting up and maintaining that kind of system requires a lot of resources. Basically DSF has to find a cost effective system for handling these kinds of releases. If they do have to set up a system, then I can see an increase in the cost of pins to compensate for handling crazy releases such as this.

Regardless of providing a list of raffle winners, there will be people who can't make it, forget, etc. and then what happens to their spot? A second chance line? You'll still have the issue of people camping out.

I agree that a different system can help, but no matter what they do, someone will complain and point out a way that it is not fair.

It would be impossible to create a system where everyone is happy.

My son and I , who VISITED (got crap walking food in thinking I was cutting in line at 7:30 PM), last night, asked are we camping out tonight. Nope, he has school Friday. :) We have waited in lines, ran to a line, stood in line and slept in lines since he was 4 months old. Yes, DLR would put a wristband on his 4 month old wrist asleep in his stroller. DLR has changed many times to ease them to not have lines. Do they work? Can I say PODM?

As long as there is a Limited Edition collectible that is wanted by people in excess of the LE #, there will be a line for that product.

Why do Black Fridays do so well? Lines for, I would say, LE 5-10? If its a game consul, TV, phone or anything few of the many want, people will do what it takes to get that item.

What happens the day after it sells out, nothing. People talk. People complain. People make plans for the next release of an item. And it all happens all over again.

Those who can get - get. Those who can't - complain or trade.

I have been in both worlds. I assume the reader of my comment here has also. It was nice that Nelson (who has seen my son since 2006 grow up at DSF) asked me to leave and I was an outsider looking in at the rail in the alley. You can take it as a maturity ward and visiting time was over or, me included, once the rails go up, we're all a bunch of animals in the alley cage.

I had never did an overnighter when he was a baby, but it was because I had not really gotten deep into trading like I am now, and im not sure how many I will camp out for depends on how much I or Jordan want the pin, I can only imagine what you might have delt with, I don't know if I would have taken him as a baby, but every parent makes thier own choices and it really is the parents buiness only, but yes I think I remember seeing you walk by and the Gripe crew was freaking out and I told them to relax you were just getting your things you wern't cutting, but they were freaking, but after you left I said see you wern't cutting calm down! Oi-Vey hope you had a ok night and got at least some sleep.

So my son who shares this hobby with me and has just as much fun collecting as me should be punished and not allowed to buy any pins because of his age?? he is just as strong a trader as I, he knows what he likes to collect, has made many friends from the forum and they all know He collects too, it is a hobby him and I share together and is a way for us to bond, he is getting his pin from waiting in line, he picked stitch, and has the abilility to help others get the pins we don't plan on getting, and you want to take this right from him!! I don't think that is right, now I would agree to the children who yet cannot decide for themselves because of thier age, but 5 I think is fair enough! he makes his own decisions and this right should not be taken from him, or any child that is old enough and chooses to have this hobby, I love that Jordan has just as much fun as I do, and we can do this together, it is a bonding hobby and he should have every right to be able to get a pin too, as any child who likes the hobby. Im tired of hearing about the age issue all the time, he has just the same right as I, he started trading when he was 2, it was really neat to see what pins he would pick out off the cast members, mabey he picked it up from watching me trading, since he was a baby, but however he picked it up, it was never forced upon him, he obviously liked it and I enjoy sharing this hobby with him, stop trying to take that right from us and others out there like us.

i was just talking about for identification purposes in response to DLRPintrader. But I do appreciate you ripping my head off because my thoughts differ from yours.

Wasnt ripping your head off, but u did say age limit 13 and up? Right?, as I have herd many times from others as well in the last 2 days and im just sick of hearing it. he has just the same right and im sticking up for him.

I find this ice cream image appropriate since we are ALL tied together in our love of pins, and our wish for a better system.

images

Wasnt ripping your head off, but u did say age limit 13 and up? Right?, as I have herd many times from others as well in the last 2 days and im just sick of hearing it. he has just the same right and im sticking up for him.
Once again I said that for ID purposes,and its not like my comment was personally addressed to you. You are probably not the only person who goes to soda fountain releases with kids. My opinion is just that, MINE. You do not have to like it, but I do ask that you respect it instead of lecturing me about it. That's all.

I didnt mean to direct it at you, like I said I herd it and read it, not just here but the beauty and beast podm release too, its just been a long 2 days of it so, sorry for snapping I could have approached it calmer.

As Pixie mentioned, children can get identification cards (good for six years!)

To get a California State identification card, see:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/fees/idCard_fees.htm

(It's only $27)

How to apply for or renew an identification (ID) card

DMV issues two types of ID cards. A regular ID card valid for six years, and a senior citizen ID card valid for 10 years. To qualify for a senior citizen ID card, you must be age 62 or older.
To apply for an ID card you will need to do the following:

• Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
  • Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
  • Give a thumb print
  • Have your picture taken
  • Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
  • Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license)
  • Pay the application fee. (No fee for a senior citizen ID card.

Last edited:
Age requirements...I look at it as kind of like having height requirements on rides. It's about safety. Anything that's going to require an overnight or some type of line forming, stampede rush to get a pin should have an age requirement. What that age is? I don't know. My opinion would somewhere in the 11-13 year old range (middle school age).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back