• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF Line UPDATE! 1/30/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSF Line UPDATE! 1/30/13
Age requirements...I look at it as kind of like having height requirements on rides. It's about safety. Anything that's going to require an overnight or some type of line forming, stampede rush to get a pin should have an age requirement. What that age is? I don't know. My opinion would somewhere in the 11-13 year old range (middle school age).

My thoughts exactly, especially for a camp-out in Hollywood where knives are being pulled :sad: I'm all for kids pin trading and obtaining the pins they love, but when these kind of events start taking place, I would be freaking out having kids there. I'm already nervous enough for my boyfriend and he's 21 :lol:

I'm not talking about age requirements on the products. I'm just talking about the products release. I think those are drastically different.

I've been reading this entire thread over the last couple days. WOW, is all I can say! I'm glad you're all safe & well after those altercations! This release is making the 2009 DLR Haunted Mansion Piece of History release look positively tame! I wouldn't go through any of this for ANY pin, but that's just me.

I'm going to run off on a tangent, but I feel that there is no inherent greater risk for a child waiting in line, with a parent or some other legal guardian, than there is driving on the roads, walking down the street, flying on an airplane, or any number of everyday activities. Could we say the same for older people waiting in line? Perhaps they are too weak and frail to be doing that and we should put an age limit cap at 60 years old? Let's face it, some people bring up the child thing because they think people are bringing their children to get more pins for sale on eBay and not some noble attempt to keep children safe. It's not like these children are being asked to join the army and carry guns to kill the enemy. Let's just stop with that stuff, please? And... I'm not targeting anyone specifically with this opinion. I'm just trying to understand why waiting in a line is considered so very dangerous that children are no longer allowed to do so while a parent or guarding is there watching them.

The root issue is that there is a low LE number for each of these pins and they depict currently popular characters. No one would be lining up for a Mickey and Minnie Chocolate Box. No one would be lining up for an open edition Rapunzel. The root issue is, to put it simply, supply and demand. Increase the LE sizes and the lines will go away, because the paranoia over not getting one and the overall value will be driven down to the point where the resellers won't bother to show up for the return on investment. Simple stuff. But most are pretty dead set on leaving the LE amount the same and trying their luck with a new system that may or may not be of greater benefit to them.

I'm sorry, if this comes off as harsh and I apologize for any hurt feelings. It's just my opinion and in the end it will be DSF who will decide the next course of action.

I'm going to run off on a tangent, but I feel that there is no inherent greater risk for a child waiting in line, with a parent or some other legal guardian, than there is driving on the roads, walking down the street, flying on an airplane, or any number of everyday activities. Could we say the same for older people waiting in line? Perhaps they are too weak and frail to be doing that and we should put an age limit cap at 60 years old? Let's face it, some people bring up the child thing because they think people are bringing their children to get more pins for sale on eBay and not some noble attempt to keep children safe. It's not like these children are being asked to join the army and carry guns to kill the enemy. Let's just stop with that stuff, please? And... I'm not targeting anyone specifically with this opinion. I'm just trying to understand why waiting in a line is considered so very dangerous that children are no longer allowed to do so while a parent or guarding is there watching them.

The root issue is that there is a low LE number for each of these pins and they depict currently popular characters. No one would be lining up for a Mickey and Minnie Chocolate Box. No one would be lining up for an open edition Rapunzel. The root issue is, to put it simply, supply and demand. Increase the LE sizes and the lines will go away, because the paranoia over not getting one and the overall value will be driven down to the point where the resellers won't bother to show up for the return on investment. Simple stuff. But most are pretty dead set on leaving the LE amount the same and trying their luck with a new system that may or may not be of greater benefit to them.

I'm sorry, if this comes off as harsh and I apologize for any hurt feelings. It's just my opinion and in the end it will be DSF who will decide the next course of action.

:like:

Or they could just not announce when a Tangled or an UP pin is released. I bet hardly anyone would've camped out for this release if the Tangled and UP pin weren't in the mix. (Not hating on Stitch and Robin Hood, just trying to make a point :))

Last edited:
I think kids should be allowed to buy pins and if they do implement a new system that requires ID then, as others have pointed out, they can get a state ID. I do think there should be a hard ban on any kids 4 and under being at the campouts. If they have no chance of getting a wristband they should not be out there especially at an age when their bodies cannot handle the stress as well.

I was not at this release but in previous DSF releases the number of kids has not been bad and most of them seem happy to be there. I've seen the people that drag half a dozen of theirs and their neighbors' kids to the releases at Disneyland but not at DSF.

No hard feelings at all. Everybody has their opinion. I think that it's going to get to a point where it's not only Tangled or Up releases that have drama, but all/most releases. Imagine if there's a great looking princess set or haunted set, etc. Dsf has had the most popular designs/themes etc for a while now. I think it'll be rare (with the current system in place) that there won't be overnights for a release.

P.S. Hope you like this picture!

596.jpg

Remember Lord of the Flies?!

:like: I totally agree with you!

Older people have a choice and should know what they can handle. If they make a poor decision then they have to deal with the consequences. A child has to depend on their parent to make those decisions for them. Just because a child wants to camp out for a few days does not mean that is the best thing for them. If that child only wanted to eat chocolate all day and stay up to 1am its a parents job to parent how they seem fit (hopefully with a balanced diet and a beddtime). On the other hand, how many people would have a problem if this was just normal camping? Take the pins out of the equation. Say the child enjoyed rock collecting. Do you think people would throw up suck a stink? And the wilderness can be just as dangerous as an alley.

No hard feelings at all. Everybody has their opinion. I think that it's going to get to a point where it's not only Tangled or Up releases that have drama, but all/most releases. Imagine if there's a great looking princess set or haunted set, etc. Dsf has had the most popular designs/themes etc for a while now. I think it'll be rare (with the current system in place) that there won't be overnights for a release.

Good. I hold no ill will towards people for having and expressing an opinion, as long as they extend the same courtesy. :)

Yeah. The marquees are probably the next most popular must line up item and I know lots of people will line up for those no matter the character, since they are specifically collecting the marquees.

The whole situation is tough and it's really easy to be on the sidelines, making suggestions. I really feel sorry for DSF and the headaches this stuff must cause. Hopefully, they can figure out something that will be less painful than it currently is. I wish them the best of luck, as they really do have a lot of nicely designed pins. I just worry that people will drop them like a bad habit, if they are forced to move to a much larger edition size.

What about CKC exclusives?

Nathan we would have to have our monthly conference meetings with DSF for the exclusive releases and pin release dates. At this time all releases are for the general public and even though the CKC members are part of the pin release meetings with DSF we are here to serve all collectors, pin traders, and the general public as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back