• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF Line UPDATE! 1/30/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like all this crazy may drive DOWN the price of these pins. Most of them are fugly. There seems to be alot of broken hearted people, and the release it self seems to be managed poorly. This isn't gonig to be a pin that stats at market value especially with the bitter attitudes.

Wow...never been to one of these releases before. Would this be considered normal or is it just because of the pins being released? I must admit, that Carl and Ellie one and the Stitch and Angel one were my personal favourites.

Good luck to everyone waiting in line =)

I think this will be a new record. If it is true that there are around 100 there already I can imagine that number climbing to 150 before the sun even rises. I think the previous record was Brave which got 150 in the early afternoon the day before.

Last edited:
At this rate, they should just distribute the wristbands in the morning, and clear everyone out. There is nothing to be gained to making everyone wait until Friday. This wristband solution, obviously did not work. So DSF just needs to admit defeat, and move on.

I hope for my sake (and I guess everyone else's too ;) ) that they hand the wristbands out in the morning. My bed is calling my name!

As much as I feel for those that will be camping out until Friday evening, they really can't start handing out wristbands early. If they do that will set a precedent and people are just going to start showing up to everything early.

If they do release a good new ptd tomorrow sometime, it will be utter chaos. The line will move into the store. Then what happens?

Holy Moley!! What a predicament!! Oh my, I wish you all a safe and fun time! :hsd: Please take care to keep warm and stay SAFE!! Best of luck to everyone there! (My old bones are aching at the mere thought of camping out in the alley! lol!) I hope everyone is able to get a least some of the pins they want!!

Sending :hug: big hugs :hug: and Pixie Dust to y'all!! *bjr

It is unbelievable that they (DSF) would allow people to sleep not one but two nights in an alley! I understand the desire to collect (total addict) but at what point has it gone too far? I'm sorry and it may just be me, I would not sleep outside in an alley in West Hollywood for any pin and that includes my absolutely most lusted for grail pins! I have been reading about kids out there as little as 3 or 4 and I swear I would call the police on those parents, if you are one of them shame on you I will say it straight to your face you are a bad parent.

I will not be buying/supporting this type of collecting and am actually considering boycotting all DSF pins from now on. Bad business and dangerous behavior that is condoned by this retailer is atrocious. Maybe they think it draws attention to the store? Maybe they think it will make them more money? I think they are going to be victim of a large, dare I say HUGE lawsuit whether real or concocted because they are responsible for the safety of every single person that they made contact with tonight. If you stub your toe, they have to pay you. If you get mugged or drugged same thing they are legally obligated to compensate. There are probably also some strict laws about sleeping in the streets that if the police were alerted that the business not only knows they are there they GAVE THEM BRACELETS TO STAY THERE, there would most likely be a large fine imposed.

Please stay safe/warm all of you out there and maybe ask yourself if waiting in line in the cold, dark, dirty and dangerous streets is this a good use of your time? What if this was the last day of your life or even the last week, would you make the same choices? Tomorrow is never promised to any of us and I know for me collecting has brought me a lot of happiness, not to say that the behavior of some that I have encountered hasn't cast a shadow because it has and if and when it becomes more about greed and people looking to flip everything I will surely find something else to do with my time and money.

At this rate, they should just distribute the wristbands in the morning, and clear everyone out. There is nothing to be gained to making everyone wait until Friday. This wristband solution, obviously did not work. So DSF just needs to admit defeat, and move on.

Whole heartedly agree here. Making people wait until 7 pm the next day when the line reaches 150 at this point would be.... no bueno.

Edit: I understand rules are rules but... maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and maybe, just maybe, this release (coupled with last week's BT release) will be cause to consider going back to the old way of just handing out all the wristbands together. Eh... one can hope.

Last edited:
As much as I feel for those that will be camping out until Friday evening, they really can't start handing out wristbands early. If they do that will set a precedent and people are just going to start showing up to everything early.

I feel its beyond wristbands now though :( It's not working anymore. Hopefully there will be a better solution in the future. ^.^

The issue I have is that DSF is INCONSISTENT with what they say. First they say that people will not be permitted to line up until Thursday evening (what is 'evening' by the way?). This later is clarified to mean 6.00 pm on Thursday. Then they change their mind ... because of the risk of stampeding at 6.00 pm, people can begin lining up at 'anytime' on Thursday (what exactly does 'anytime' mean?). This later is clarified (on the phone) to mean that nobody can line up before 8.00 am. Fine ... except that people started lining up around ... what? ... 10.00 pm (?), which is not even Thursday. This pin release might go down in history as the first one to have the full 150 people lined up before the time when DSF has officially said the line up could start. My timeline might be a little off, DSF has changed their mind so many times, I can't keep up, but I think you can understand my point and the resulting problems.

My concern: if DSF doesn't enforce what they say, what's to stop people from leaving one release and getting back in line for the next one immediately? Sure, it'll be a long wait, but they'll be guaranteed to get a wristband, right? Giving the bands out early will clear out the sidewalks, sure, but it will just make the scenario I described (absurd as it seems now) all the more likely - especially for an insanely popular release. Why should people listen to when DSF says to come and line up when they can line up early and (even better) get the wristbands early?

I understand what DSF was trying to accomplish with these wristbands, negate the purpose of campouts. But isn't it ironic in attempting to eliminate campouts, they are generating campouts. Has anyone ever heard of a three night campout for a pin release before? I'm including the night of the actual release in that count as some people live too far away from DSF to commute home and back to the store Saturday morning.

At this point, I'm not at DSF and I don't see much point in going because I don't think I'd get a wristband now (and I can't really afford to lose 3 days to a campout, it's hard enough going to an overnight pin release). I'm not complaining, I will get my pin eventually (even if I have to buy it on the secondary market). For me, three day campout = no work. No work = no money for pins. Therefore, it becomes a no brainer; I must skip the three day campout and pursue the secondary market and be grateful that I can afford to do so.

My complaint is with DSF. They have a system that clearly does not work (or work they way they had intended). I don't know how to fix it (for every fix, there will be a way around it), but it clearly isn't working now. To those of you who are braving the cold and crowds, stay safe and stay warm - and post pics of the pins when you get them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back