• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF PTD Pin: Real or Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSF PTD Pin: Real or Fake?

Zagales14

Duke Alex, Master Zapper
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So I just recently purchased this pin, and the front of the pin is perfectly fine, both in color, gloss, finish, everything. I turn the pin around, and it has 2 nubs, the DSF logo, with the LE count, etc.

However, my only concern is the ice cream pattern... I figure it was appropriate to have that pattern, however, the patter cuts off before it hits the edge of the pin. I have seen some where the pattern runs off the edge, kind of like your typical mickey waffle pattern, however, I am uncertain, and more likely lacking in knowledge to determine whether this is real or fake.

Take a look for yourself:

photo-6_zps6e4236a1.jpg

What do you think? Does anyone who has personally purchased the PTD Peter Pan know if this is how it is supposed to be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you have a picture of one that perhaps I can compare? You would be certain that this is counterfeit given the appearance of the pattern on the back then, correct?

I don't know about that particular pin, but the newest DSF pins including PTD's have a back pattern that does not extend to the edge. The ice cream pattern closes off before it hits the edges.

I don't know about that particular pin, but the newest DSF pins including PTD's have a back pattern that does not extend to the edge. The ice cream pattern closes off before it hits the edges.

Can more people confirm this? Perhaps someone who personally bought a PTD pin from DSF, and can provide a pic?

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

It is real. Mine looks exactly the same and I ate the ice cream to get it. I can send a picture if you PM me your email - I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.

I recently sold a DSF pin (not on the forum) and the buyer sent it back stating that she thought it was fake. She said the pattern didn't go all the way to the edge. I know the pin is good. I stood in line to get it. I think the consistency of the pins at the DSF is declining. The quality too. They are pumping out pins like crazy. I don't know if these pins are being faked or not but it's quite frustrating to be accused of selling a fake pin. I would never do that.

I hope this helps.

Sue

It is real. Mine looks exactly the same and I ate the ice cream to get it. I can send a picture if you PM me your email - I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.

It's quite alright. I trust. Thanks for all the help guys!!

As I am a writer and publisher of guides used by thousands to gauge the authenticity of a pin, I can tell you this problem made me pull my hair out. Disney started doing this to us I would say 2010-2011 putting these not-all-the-way-to-the-edge patterns on pins. Your pin is fine as others have said. The thing to look out for is a RAISED edge border on pins, reminiscent to bumpers on a pool table or the raised ring that runs around a penny's edge when looking at it face on. The existence of extra metal on the edge, not the absence of it, indicates a fake pin.

And please for the love of all things Disney, don't spread the "nub" myth. The presence or absence of nubs have nothing to do whatsoever with the legitimacy of a pin. Its actually worse than the old magnet myth I disproved years ago.

As I am a writer and publisher of guides used by thousands to gauge the authenticity of a pin, I can tell you this problem made me pull my hair out. Disney started doing this to us I would say 2010-2011 putting these not-all-the-way-to-the-edge patterns on pins. Your pin is fine as others have said. The thing to look out for is a RAISED edge border on pins, reminiscent to bumpers on a pool table or the raised ring that runs around a penny's edge when looking at it face on. The existence of extra metal on the edge, not the absence of it, indicates a fake pin.

And please for the love of all things Disney, don't spread the "nub" myth. The presence or absence of nubs have nothing to do whatsoever with the legitimacy of a pin. Its actually worse than the old magnet myth I disproved years ago.

Very informative. Thanks! May I ask what guide it is you write on??

I recently sold a DSF pin (not on the forum) and the buyer sent it back stating that she thought it was fake. She said the pattern didn't go all the way to the edge. I know the pin is good. I stood in line to get it. I think the consistency of the pins at the DSF is declining. The quality too. They are pumping out pins like crazy. I don't know if these pins are being faked or not but it's quite frustrating to be accused of selling a fake pin. I would never do that.

I hope this helps.

Sue

That would be really frustrating. I noticed the same trend with a lot of the recent DSF pins. Most of the recent PTDs from that streak that ended with Kevin earlier in March (Belle, Stitch, Jessica, Lilo....) had cones that didn't extend to the edge.

a lot of the pins from dsf have the patterns that do not reach all the way to the end...i have several from dsf that i acquired myself that have this. dont be alarmed.

Very informative. Thanks! May I ask what guide it is you write on??

Under Pin Comparison - collaboration with IAmDisneyDan on stickied thread, Author of stickied thread on pin trading pamphlet, curently writing a book on authentication, and I am a paid authenticator as well.

Glad this thread was here, I recently acquired a Hades DSF pin and thought the back looked weird, but glad it is the case with most of these! Sad that the quality has degraded though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back