DSSH October 8, 2017 Villains Pin Event at the Roosevelt Hotel

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by starry_solo, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

Roll call.....who is going?

[​IMG]

2. this_and_that

this_and_that Active Member

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

I am going.

3. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

I'm going as well.

4. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

I am going too! My friend got a ticket and can't go so he is going to change it to my name. But he wants to keep all the pins :( Ah well...

5. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Maybe you can trade for some of them while you are there. I hope you all enjoy yourselves!

6. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

I hope so!

7. sockgnome

sockgnome Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    182   0   0

I'll be there!

8. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I'll be there! Are there any other pin get togethers that weekend?
    Also on the event info it says "pin trading actvities".
    Does that just mean trading tables or are there pin boards?

9. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

Can't wait to meet you!
    Pin trading tables for you to trade with other people.
    Pin boards to trade pins with DSSH staff
    LE pin boards or bags to trade pins with DSSH staff

10. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Thanks!
    At the LIAA event, it didn't matter if you brought OE or LE pins for the boards.
    It sounds like this is different. Any specific requirements for the LE boards (like has to be below a certain LE)?
    Just want to make sure I bring the right pins. Sounds like fun!!

11. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

Sorry, you can bring OE pins too. But there are specific LE for LE boards or bags (sometimes wrapped bags in a barrel) as well. And there's no requirement for what edition size the LE has to be. It just has to say "limited edition" on the back of it.

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

At the last 3 events the LE 'trading' is random. So you put in any LE pin and you will have a random LE pin returned to you. In this trading activity you are not able to select the pin you want back.

13. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

Yup, that's how it usually happens. Although at the BATB one, the LE for LE was set up pretty cute in that the LE pins were placed on cork boards, on a silver platter, and a cover was on top. They had 6 or 8 of them (3 or 4 on the left, 3 or 4 on the right) and you spun a wheel that told you what color you had to go to. Then, the staff member at the front would direct you to the left or right side. And the staff member in front of the platter would lift the cover up and you got 15-30 seconds to choose the pin (but since there were only 6-8 pins to choose from, it went pretty quick.

14. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Sounds like fun! Did you get anything interesting when you did this? How many pins should I bring for this?

15. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Try to bring as many as you can? :)

16. jadeites-lady

jadeites-lady Bookworm Belle

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

When sis & I went to the DSSH BATB event at the Richard Nixon library in March, we each took 5 limited edition pins to trade at their LE for LE boards and then a handful of traders for the regular boards. I think we each went through the LE boards 2-3 times, just because it seemed to be shorter than the regular boards. We went through the regular boards 3-4 times. The time passes by so quickly.

The event is 4 hours long, but I don't think you'll actually start trading at the boards until 1 to 1.5 hours into the event due to the plated lunch, then a raffle and then the boards. With only 150 people, maybe it'll go by quicker and hopefully they will have at least 5 boards set up. So, you'll really only have 2.5-3 hours at the boards.

17. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Thanks very helpful! This event is WAY too short! Wish I could skip the plated lunch! Though if I am stuck doing that, we should have a DPF table! How am I going to have time to do everything AND trade with other attendees? :)

18. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

At the BatB event everyone was well finished with lunch for about 30 minutes... then DSSH opened the trading stations (we just sat and waited), but looking back those 30 minutes could be spent trading with other attendees. I believe the lunch does not serve until 30 minutes in... so trade before? Also, trade in the lobby before the event starts, since people will show up early... Those are my ideas for maximizing the event. :)

You could try to set up some pre-trades. I did this for LIAA at WDW and it worked very well.

19. jadeites-lady

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Agreed! Although perhaps those people served earlier were well done with the meals and the ones served later were still working on it. I don't think they had two wait staff per table. It did seem like a very long time had been spent waiting and waiting.

I think most people will be wishing the boards were refreshed often.

20. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

I'm planning on putting aside about 6-8 LE pins and 12-16 OE pins for the trade boards/activities. I know that's probably overkill but I tend to stick mainly to the trade boards during these events, and with half the people going there will probably be quite a few more chances to get through the trade board lines.

I do want to do some in-person trading, though. I'm hoping to trade for at least one Zootopia BT.

21. jadeites-lady

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Sis has about 15-ish OE pins and about 8-10 LE pins that she'll be bringing for the event. We are going to try to set up a pretrade as well so she doesn't have to lug her book with her since she has to pick up her friend/sponsor's pins.

22. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

I will be at the event.

(Thank you to my sponsor, who gained the original event package and is allowing me to attend in their place.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  23. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Is there any interest in a DPF table for the lunch? If DSSH staff seat us (like at the BatB event), it should be pretty simple to sit together... just need a head count for who would want to join the DPF table.

24. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

I'm in!

25. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Yay! Timeerkat and myself are in for lunch... anyone else for joining a DPF lunch table at the event?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.