Even miracles take a little time

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Purplemandms, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I realized that I've been sharing here the more negative stories I've been sharing about my life recently (PI rejection, grail fiasco, yada yada) I wanted to share some exciting news.

After I got rejected from the PI I applied, on a whim, to the college program. I figured that if I wanted to get the PI the next time, the best way for me to do so was to network my butt off. So I only selected one role, attractions, and figured that if they didn't like me they didn't like me. Well, two weeks and one phone interview later - I got in!

Although it's not initially how I pictured starting with the company, it's a way in. I'm going to be talking with some of my mentors/advisers on the move, but the consensus I've heard is basically "you've worked hard for the last four years, Emily. Go have fun." And although I know this job will be a lot of work, I know that the program is generally an unforgettable experience.

I'm still giving myself a couple days to sit on the decision, but am very much crossing my fingers for good news in the future. My CV basically listed all of my animal experience - and in my interview the interviewer said that she noted that I would be a great fit for the conservation station or *gasp* the aviary. I could become a Disney bird whisperer. I would probably never leave work. They could not get me to shut up about the birds. I'll be like Tippi Hedrin. But loving it.

Speaking of, a little bird told me that I'll be a featured speaker at the ornithology conference I'm going to next week. People can hear me gush about my love of chickens. It's gonna be great.

“The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability.” – Remy, Ratatouille

[​IMG]

2. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    460   0   0

Hey hey! This is downright exciting! I'm really pumped for you! :) and I have to echo your mentors' advice: go have fun. While a lot of great things have happened for me and how I've progressed, I've essentially been a full-time college student since 2005 and it's exhausting. I think this experience will be a breath of fresh air which you'll definitely appreciate later. :D

Please please please keep us posted! Can't wait for more good news! <3

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Purplemandms likes this.
  3. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.4%
    37   1   0

Congratulations! It's incredibly more easy getting a parks PI when you have already been a cast member or college program CM. I know several CMs following their dreams that started out in the college program. If you'd like to talk to some people about it, let me know, and I'll get you in contact with them. It's not an easy job, so be prepared for that if you accept.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Purplemandms likes this.
  4. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Thank you!! Once I know more, I will let you know. <3
    And honestly, I feel like I would bore myself to death with an easy job. I calculated my hours a few days ago and I essentially work 50+ hours a week (10 for work, 20 for classes, and 20 for research) so slowing down would be the worst. (And my previous job at the zoo was 12 hour shifts, so it's something I'm certainly used to and comfortable with.)

Now the question is, would I be able to attend the pin event?

5. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.4%
    37   1   0

If you get the day(s) off. It would all depend on your schedule. And from what I understand, CPs can only switch shifts with CPs now, because of pay grade. So become good friends with your fellow CPs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6. AshleyV

AshleyV Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

[​IMG]

That's super exciting! Congrats!!

Purplemandms likes this.
  7. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

Congrats on the happy news!

Purplemandms likes this.
  8. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

Congrats on the great news!!

I guess I never asked this but what is your major? Love of chickens!? It’s like I don’t even know you at all. (You’re just my token tink collector, I guess hehe) What is your research about?

Also, what does PI mean? Like principal investigator for research?? Private eye like Jessica jones?? I don’t know why I’m guessing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TheRetroNerd

TheRetroNerd Active Member

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

10. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Congrats on the great opportunity, I halfway wonder what I would be doing had I continued on with a professional internship, though I know several that continued on and are now managers with the company. While the CP has its criticisms, I thought it was a great experience and it's fun to just say you did it.

On a more serious note, It might be helpful to take some of the classes that the CP offers on the side just to learn how more about the Disney company, as well as show them you are serious about possible Professional internship; though I would recommend the Disney Heritage course if you are a history buff.

11. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    102   0   0

How exciting!!!! Congrats on the offer and keep us posted

12. arielsdinglehopper

arielsdinglehopper Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oh wow, what amazing news. I'm so happy for you!! Congratulations! <3

13. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Awesome! Glad to hear of the good turn of events.

14. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

This is great news . Enjoy.

15. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    143   0   0

That is amazing, not just because you got in but also because you looked for a different path to reach your desired destination. We always tell our kids that there is more than one way to approach any situation (part of why I like Big Hero 6 and the whole "Look for a new angle" thing). This is the mom in me, but I'm really proud of you! :) Congratulations!

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  16. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Congrats!

17. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

That's so awesome Emily, I'm with Erin, do tell us more! Is this Disney college we're talking about?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

18. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

College program is like a low-paying internship that allows you to work at the parks (DLR or WDW) - and at WDW at least also helps you find housing there, though that comes out of your pay. You have to be in college (or maybe just graduated?) to be eligible to apply.

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  20. theoucharis

theoucharis Active Member

Rating - 100%
    56   0   0

Congrats. This is so exciting to hear.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

21. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Whoop Whoop!!!! Great News - will you be at WDW or another park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Awesome news and I love the ornithology angle! In a former life, I was a Statistics major and I interned at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology for a summer doing a study on the populations of hawks and to this day, I still remember it fondly as one of the better experiences I had in college. I thought I would end up as an environmental lawyer but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Best of luck, @Purplemandms! Oh, and The Birds is one of my all-time favorite movies.

23. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Unfortunately, when it rains it pours. Yesterday I found out that we unexpectedly lost our dog Macy, my best friend in the entire universe. Things are really difficult right now, so I'll be logging off until they're back to normal, but I wanted to thank you all for your encouragement, and let you know that I will keep you updated on the position.

Edit: my computer has also decided to quit turning on, so I've lost my second thesis and my presentation for the conference. Man this isn't my month.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    watzshakinbacon likes this.
  24. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

:[
    <3

25. TheRetroNerd

TheRetroNerd Active Member

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Sorry to hear about your dog.

If the computer just wont turn on you can take the hard drive out and try one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIE996S/?tag=thebroketogra-20
    plug in the hard drive into another computer so you can pull the data off of it .