• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Facebook pin buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook pin buying

Matty

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry if there is a thread about this already.

I have been looking a Facebook buying/selling sites.

I was wondering what people here though of the posts with like 35 pictures of pins and offering them all for $5 each

Would you assume that those are all scrapers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what everyone else's thoughts are but-
I've bought some pins through Facebook people. So far all the pins I've gotten I believe are authentic. Sometimes what I've seen happen is people have "emergency sales" for financial reasons so they just sell pins for a really cheap price to help get some immediate cash. I did purchase a grab bag once via Facebook that ended up being a scam. The pins never arrived. The admin of the group blocked the person-and thankfully PayPal refunded me the money. (Always pay as Goods). Sometimes people are getting out of the hobby and sell cheap. However I do find it weird when I see someone selling a $10 retail price pin for $5. They look authentic but I'm not sure why they would sell it for so cheap. So I understand what you are referring to. I hope this somewhat helps. But yes I believe sometimes you can get authentic pins for a cheaper price for a variety of reasons. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sell pins on card on facebook. They are real, authentic, Disney pins. I also sell here 10 pin grab bags on card for $40 shipped domestically. No scam, no scrappers just real pins at a great price. It is a real bargain for new traders or anyone that needs some trading pins to offer for pins for their collections. I will soon be listing some pins as low as $4 each here soon all on card.

Last edited:
My concerns when I see people selling a lot of recent releases on cards for cheap isn't scrappers / counterfeits... it's whether th person has A. Used a "5 finger discount" or B. Used a "sure, I'll trade you this last HM to complete your set, never mind it's a fake. Just go in that store and buy a pin, any pin will do," strategy.

If the pins are discontinued styles, there is a chance that they could have come from the CM discount store. But you can usually figure that out because suddenly everyone has them. Older styles, sometimes people need cash or to clear inventory. But I saw someone on FB selling the new Princess banner pins for $5. That's cheaper than a CM discount.

My concerns when I see people selling a lot of recent releases on cards for cheap isn't scrappers / counterfeits... it's whether th person has A. Used a "5 finger discount" or B. Used a "sure, I'll trade you this last HM to complete your set, never mind it's a fake. Just go in that store and buy a pin, any pin will do," strategy.

If the pins are discontinued styles, there is a chance that they could have come from the CM discount store. But you can usually figure that out because suddenly everyone has them. Older styles, sometimes people need cash or to clear inventory. But I saw someone on FB selling the new Princess banner pins for $5. That's cheaper than a CM discount.

I saw those too. I see them a lot at Frank & Sons too. I always have doubts about where they came from.

For $5 per pin, I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's a brand new release. There are outlets, cast sales, and some Disney pins just retail (or used to retail) for around that price...especially mystery packs. I've been able to offer pins for pretty cheap before due to old SALSA sales, for example.

THAT SAID- in addition to the methods Hopemax mentioned above, there's also the new issue that seems to be popping up in places like Frank & Sons and the little pin stores around (at flea markets, etc.)- the workers in China are now offering pins on their cards (or in mystery bags) to sell in bulk. I don't know if anyone knows for sure if they're stealing them, or running off extra copies to take for themselves, but it seems like the Chinese workers are helping themselves to Disney's products in this new and terrifying way in addition to scrappers and counterfeits. Terrifying, because I'm not sure there's a way to distinguish them from the actual product.

In general, I just try and feel out the person. If there's an obvious way they could be doing it (they're a cast member, for example), then I'm good. But if they seem fishy, or answer the question about how they can afford to do this vaguely...beware.

And I never, NEVER trust new releases at that price. MAYBE if it's a cast member selling after 50% days...but that's it. There's no legit way to get a new release for rock bottom prices.

The places that do the "bulk on card" thing typically use the "I have a license with Disney, and they sell me their extras to sell for cheap" excuse. I don't buy this at all, as Disney has several ways to get rid of their extras (cast stores, outlets, etc). When they sell a license to someone, they usually make cheaper quality products for that specific retailer, or give allowance for new art (like ACME)...not hand over merchandise they sell on the racks themselves, and then allow that retailer to undercut them by half. And that ESPECIALLY doesn't make sense for brand new releases.

So...yeah.

Last edited:
Good thread! I've also joined a couple of groups and wonder how they are selling these pins for such cheap prices. Would love to hear about some groups that people here have bought from and find trustworthy!

Great discussion! I have often also wondered about theft. If the seller doesn't use their facebook real name, I won't buy from them, e.g. Sally Pinlover or something. Too sketchy.

I bought two of the banner pins...they look good. No quality issues and the back is good. I don't understand how they were going for $6 ea, but the person I got them from is a fairly well respected individual. Not positive they aren't stolen, nut I assume not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back