• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Fair Trade or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair Trade or Not?

MasteringMatt

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Wondering if this is a fair trade or not. I have been offered a Mochi Pin Trader Delight to add to my Big Hero 6 collection for my Bing Bong Pin Trader Delight. Would you or would you not make this trade?

I value pins differently than a lot of people, I think. They are both LE400, both PTDs, and if Big Hero 6 is your primary collection, I think the goal is to add to the collection. I see there aren't any Ebay listings for Mochi, and and only a couple for Bing Bong which are several months old at this point. But in my mind, if one is $40ish and one is $60ish, I wouldn't care much. $15 vs $100 that's different, but their Pinpics trade ratios are similar enough that I don't think that's the case. Some people need to squeeze every cent of value out of a trade, but sometimes that just leads to a bag of traders that don't go anywhere.

To echo what Hope said, pin values are pretty subjective, since we're all searching for different things. (Except for the pin snobs who just want anything rare/popular for the sake of bragging rights...) I personally try not to get too caught up in the supposed value of pins. It tends to spoil the fun if you're busy trying to work out some mathematical formula for every trade, or worrying about whether you're throwing away a totally hypothetical better offer that might never even happen. If your gut is telling you that the trade is unfair, or you've got some super rare trader that's probably worth being picky with, then you should certainly give it careful consideration before doing something you could potentially kick yourself over. Otherwise, just trade for the pins that will make you happy, period. That's the point of the hobby, after all. :)

That said, I did find 2 current eBay listings for Mochi (I think Hope was using different search terms.) They're priced at $150 and $160, while the 3 Bing Bong listings range from $70-$90. However, those numbers really don't mean anything; just because someone is asking for $160 doesn't necessarily mean anyone is willing to pay that much. The best way to estimate the actual going rate for a pin is looking in the Sold Listings section. I see that since October 1st, 2 Bing Bong PTD's have sold - one for $39 and the other for less than $65 (best offer was accepted.) Since November 21st, 2 Mochi PTD's have sold - again, one for $39, and the other for less than $50 (another best offer.) So it looks like they're roughly equal in monetary value. Because you're looking to trade rather than sell, something else to consider is how long you've had the Bing Bong PTD for and how many trade requests you've received for it in that time. If it attracts a lot of interest, or if you've only just added it to your traders, then you might consider waiting for a pin you'd prefer (how high does Mochi rank on your wants list? It sounds like it's not a "must-have.") If not, it sounds like a perfectly fine exchange, imo. Disney Cats are a reliably popular pin theme and it's a safe bet that, should you later regret the swap, Mochi would make an excellent trader in his own right. Hope this helps with your decision and future trade assessments.

I have only been moderately successful lately trying to make trades and recently came to a similar conclusion as has been mentioned. If there is something that I want that goes towards building a collection, even though the actual pin values may differ, and both people are ok with the trade, go for it.

I recently traded my gatefold ACME LE 100 Ariel and Eric pin for a SUPER Jumbo PTN Tink pin that fits quite nicely into our collection. actual values may have not been totally congruent, but it worked for me and my daughter ...

I am a pin trader and do my best to leave secondary market values out of considerations... this is my bias.
So that said, I would make this trade... based on what you and others have stated about LE size and pin demand. It actually seems pretty fair/even.
Secondary market value is only what one person will pay for it in that moment. Who knows how a secondary market buyer thinks and why make their issue(s) your issue by letting it creep into your trade. if you like the pin and really want it, go for it and have fun!

To echo others, I think this is a solid trade. :) Second market isn't a bad spot to just check in to make sure nothing is super out of whack, but like most of the guys here, I tend to think more on if it's something that I really want vs. something I have specifically as a trader. And too, the themes of the pins are something to consider as well. Cats are definitely something that will hold their value. And sure there will be times when Bing Bong will spike in interest, but he'll wane too. Cats, as they say, are forever, hahah! So yes, I say go for it. :)

To echo what Hope said, pin values are pretty subjective, since we're all searching for different things. (Except for the pin snobs who just want anything rare/popular for the sake of bragging rights...) I personally try not to get too caught up in the supposed value of pins. It tends to spoil the fun if you're busy trying to work out some mathematical formula for every trade, or worrying about whether you're throwing away a totally hypothetical better offer that might never even happen. If your gut is telling you that the trade is unfair, or you've got some super rare trader that's probably worth being picky with, then you should certainly give it careful consideration before doing something you could potentially kick yourself over. Otherwise, just trade for the pins that will make you happy, period. That's the point of the hobby, after all. :)

That said, I did find 2 current eBay listings for Mochi (I think Hope was using different search terms.) They're priced at $150 and $160, while the 3 Bing Bong listings range from $70-$90. However, those numbers really don't mean anything; just because someone is asking for $160 doesn't necessarily mean anyone is willing to pay that much. The best way to estimate the actual going rate for a pin is looking in the Sold Listings section. I see that since October 1st, 2 Bing Bong PTD's have sold - one for $39 and the other for less than $65 (best offer was accepted.) Since November 21st, 2 Mochi PTD's have sold - again, one for $39, and the other for less than $50 (another best offer.) So it looks like they're roughly equal in monetary value. Because you're looking to trade rather than sell, something else to consider is how long you've had the Bing Bong PTD for and how many trade requests you've received for it in that time. If it attracts a lot of interest, or if you've only just added it to your traders, then you might consider waiting for a pin you'd prefer (how high does Mochi rank on your wants list? It sounds like it's not a "must-have.") If not, it sounds like a perfectly fine exchange, imo. Disney Cats are a reliably popular pin theme and it's a safe bet that, should you later regret the swap, Mochi would make an excellent trader in his own right. Hope this helps with your decision and future trade assessments.

This is actually a killer suggestion/process. Hahah! Listen to NutMeg. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back