Fake?

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by akarih, Mar 11, 2019.

1. akarih

akarih Member

0   0   0

I purchased an Ebay pin that didnt arrive for 3 weeks, I ended up leaving bad feedback because the seller didnt respond. The seller contacted me a few days after and gave me a refund after a few messages so it was all a misunderstanding. I actually received the pin today but dont know if I should try and pay again because I'm pretty sure it's a scrapper. Do these mickey heads look right to anybody?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    171   0   0

What does the front of the pin look like? Sometimes that is easier to tell. Disney's quality control keeps getting worse as they find "cheaper" manufacturing options. Some of the ones in 5-pin mystery pouches that I bought on my recent trip, the Mickey heads and back look so bad, I would swear they were unauthorized versions if I didn't buy them myself and open them in the park.

Do the nubs look the same height, sharpness and spacing as authentic pins? That can be another sign. Those look a little short, but it may just be a photographic angle.

3. akarih

akarih Member

0   0   0

Nubs are very small, pin post is a little weird..... the front def looks painted not filled but I always need a second opinion[​IMG]

4. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    171   0   0

Small nubs is a give away, and yep, that pin is widely scrapped. It'.s also looks more matte like than it should, and streaky. Definitely bad.

noone, Snoffsan and krand1276 like this.
  5. akarih

akarih Member

0   0   0

So weird because the metal isn't cheap
    ..... thanks!

6. LadyBarclay

LadyBarclay Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Yes! Some pins I see have that matte, streaky look to them, and I have always been suspicious of it because it looks so "different." Do you know what in the manufacturing causes that?

7. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    171   0   0

I have always assumed they skipped a finishing/polishing step in the manufacturing process. I remember from middle school shop class, how certain materials would look different once they were buffed, so I assume it's the same sort of thing going on here. But these are just my assumptions, not any knowledge.

krand1276 likes this.
  8. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Oooh, yeah, pretty sure this is no good. If I see that matte finish, scraped look I don't go for it. I agree with @hopemax , I think it has something to do with the buffing or lacquer finish they use.