Fantasy pins, yay or nay

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Kitty, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Kitty

Kitty Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

So recently I started to look at fantasy pins. They are never as nice as some of the big real one, but so pretty all the same. So my question is this, do you like fantasy pins? Would you trade for one? And how are they made? Yeah so tell me what you think.

Sent from my 5056E using Tapatalk

2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

I like fantasy pins. I have a few in my collection from trading or buying.

3. pinnochiolover

pinnochiolover DPF Member

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

I have some of the older Stitch fantasy pins, which I have hung onto, even though I got rid of my Stitch collection. They were priced between $10-$15 and were fun to track down and collect. I do like a lot of the newer fantasy pins that have sprung up in the last year or two, there are some amazing designs, but they are way too pricey for me. I don't mind spending out on more expensive pins, as long as they are authentic Disney, as I do wonder how these fantasy ones will hold their value.

4. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

I think there are some truly gorgeous fantasy pins and I have been tempted by them once or twice, but I have never acquired any and don't have any plans to. I don't consider them as part of my collection.

slbrabham likes this.
  5. pinbum

pinbum Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I think they look look like scrap!!!NAY

6. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

I have a few here and there. I'm slowly starting to get rid of them though

7. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I'm not opposed to the idea of fantasy pins, being a fan artist myself. I'd probably buy them, but so far I haven't seen any featuring the characters I collect that I like. *shrug*

RachaelNunez and Sami like this.
  8. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I don't personally have any fantasy pins, I have lots of other made pins from conventions I've been to, I like them for the art... but I haven't traded for any and I'm not sure if I would trade my authentic for Fantasy Pins. I think if it's a really cool pin and you really really like it then go for it! Fantasy or not, if it fits your collection and you want it, do it!!

This isn't a fantasy pin, but it is one of my favorite non Disney ones ^___^ a gift from my Vice Captain from last year... I keep it in my pin book too.. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I liked them at first. There are some very creative people out there, and I liked when they make rare characters, or minis, that Disney doesn't make. I have several Kovu fantasy pins, because well, Disney will likely NEVER make one, because they barely acknowledge that film beyond a re-release when they put Lion King out again... and to me that was the point of fantasy pins, to make a pin that Disney wouldn't make, for something you love.

But I think they're getting out of hand now. Everyone and their mom is making pins now, there's so many sellers and groups and stuff to try to follow. Having myself made a pin, and being in enough other communities where people produce pins of their art, and knowing what a pin costs to get made, I can say that SOME sellers are getting greedy. They ask for top dollar for their pins, and there's a sort of reputation that's supposed to come with them. I think that just adds to the nasty cliques of people that our fun little hobby is already plagued with right now.

Also what happens in a few years, if/when suddenly they're not popular anymore? Will they retain any value? They're not official Disney, so I'm not sure what kind of value they can hold. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney gets tired of them soon and starts sending out cease and desists.

For now, I'll keep the ones I still really love, but I'm not as avid about purchasing too many new ones.

10. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

True that Pretty Omi, the worth of them is a question later down the line... I suppose if the artists becomes popular then maybe they will retain some value? I mostly see pins like these at Conventions in the Artists Alley all the time, they don't seem to cost as much as the ones people are making directly related to Disney Fantasy Pins though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

I'm with Sami, if I like it then why not? With me it's all about the price! lol I wouldn't factor in future value, it's all about whether or not it makes me happy. Fellow club member TornadoTitan comes up with some awesome pins and I always look forward to seeing what's next from him.

Sami likes this.
  12. Kitty

Kitty Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Thank you, this was very informative. I had to ask because there were some that I just love, a lot of Baymax

13. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Yeah, I love pins like these, and also pick them up at conventions! They are usually priced $15 and under! Very doable!

I think future value has to be a question, when some of these groups sell the pins very high, like $40 and up, and actually come with a stipulation that you MUST trade or resell the pins even higher, like $100 and up, to maintain the "status", or else be barred from future presales *eyeroll*. I obviously don't participate in those, because the starting price is too high, but it is a shame because they make some very lovely pins. But I highly doubt their pin will be worth that same $100 once the fad dies down, but an official Disney pin I'd argue has a better chance of retaining that sort of value.
    I do indeed also love TT's pin designs, I hope he makes that Nick he previewed!

Sami likes this.
  14. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

This is what happens when you're not on social media...had no idea this even went on. I'm rolling my eyes with you on that. lol

15. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I'm OK with them, but for a price. I feel like $20-30 is do-able, but I just can't justify fantasy pins at $100 or higher. Yikes!

meowmeowpins and PixiePost like this.
  16. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Agree! As of now, I do not own any fantasy pins. I have seen a few that I really like but they have been way too expensive. If they were $20-$30 I might buy one. However, I would buy it for my personal collection. I don't think I would ever buy a fantasy pin as a trader. Just my opinion.

PixiePost likes this.
  17. Kitty

Kitty Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Yes some of the great fantasy pins are really expensive, I wouldn't even spend that kind of money on a real pin. However, if I were to get a fantasy pin I would never trade it. I don't feel the value would be the same.

18. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    56   0   0

Tell me about it. There is a pin I want (designer mermaid Anna) that is fetching over $100. I paid $80 for both the Elsa and Tiana varient in that series but I’m priced out of Anna. Makes me sad since it’s a gorgeous pin. :(

19. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    170   0   0

I love fantasy pins but I'm slowly gettingv away from them. Ived created quite a fews but now I'm inly making pins of my petsona l artwork and have a great time trading with other artists!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

20. Kitty

Kitty Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

You make them?

21. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    170   0   0

Yes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

22. PixiePost

PixiePost Previously SoraPandora

Rating - 100%
    145   0   0

I collect many kinds of pins. Although it all began with the mouse for me, I have since branched out to fantasy, Harry Potter, Studio Ghibli, and other things that make me happy. (Lots of them having nothing to do with any brand or franchise.)

There are probably about 30 pins in my collection that are Disney-themed, by non-Disney-artists, as well as a few traders. In the beginning, when fantasy pins were all the rage, I bought a lot of them, but now I try to be picky. I limit myself to beautiful designs by artists I've dealt with in the past, and I prefer pins featuring characters that don't get a lot of love.

I agree with the fact that fantasy pins and their many makers have been out of hand for a while now.

For the most part, I have switched to buying pins from Etsy sellers and independent artists I admire. Although the majority of them aren't limited edition or anything, they are affordable and adorable, and it makes me feel good to know I'm supporting a small business.

xdattax and pretty Omi like this.
  23. Doc Goofy

Doc Goofy Member

0   0   0

Whether it's Disney, Harry Potter, Sea World etc., the pin has to touch me in an emotional way. 95% of my pins are Disney but I never actually considered collecting fantasy pins. But it does give me an incentive to take second look.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

PixiePost likes this.
  24. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    56   0   0

There’s a healthy lapel pin community on Instagram. I have found some really awesome artist created pins on there including what artist from Germany and at least two Floridian artists. They make me super happy because these pins a really cute original artworks and it makes me feel like I’m directly supporting the artist

PixiePost likes this.
  25. Kitty

Kitty Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Oh do you know their names so I can find them?