Feedback Option For Zaps

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by timeerkat, Feb 26, 2018.

1. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Is there a possibility of adding an option for leaving feedback for zaps? Currently there are options for buyer, seller, and trader, but none of those feels entirely correct for zaps (I guess trader is the closest thing, but even that isn't entirely true since it wasn't technically a trade since you aren't sending anything to them in exchange).

2. NutMeg

NutMeg The Nefarious N.M.G.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

That's an awesome suggestion. I second the motion. Although I feel like most zaps on this forum eventually become trades sooner or later. Because apparently we all have major guilt issues and can't just accept gifts from people without returning the favor.

3. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

4. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0

I support this as well

5. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

Why would we need a feedback option for zaps?

It's not a pre-arranged trade or sale.

I'm actually a bit surprised there was feedback given for the Christmas exchange too.

So, what is the rationale?

6. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I definitely see both sides here, but I think feedback is more than just a rating of how well you sell/buy/trade/fulfill a contract. It's also a marker of the kinds of things you do in the community, and more specifically, a more lasting way to thank a person for something that they're doing. There would be no requirement to submit feedback for a Zap like there kind of is for other things, but it would be nice to have the option.

Additionally, feedback for Christmas exchanges makes a ton of sense as it is part of a contract fulfillment. You agree to send something to someone. No they're not purchasing it technically but by entering into the contract, they kind of are. You agree to send something out with the expectation that the person sending you something, whomever they are, will do the same.

7. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    476   0   0

I definitely see the need to feedback for the Christmas exchanges. Because, yes, it's an exchange. You agree to send something and receive something. Same principle as a trade. If you fail to fulfill your part of the commitment, that should be noted in feedback.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

My reasoning behind it is to give people credit for participating in the community who may otherwise not do a lot of trades or buying/selling. (Sora, Docfish, etc. are big zappers in the community; more zapping than anything else, it seems sometimes!)

9. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

This. Exactly. Just because the exchange is more of a chain (Person A sends to Person B who sends to Person C) instead of a straight across swap (Person A sends to Person B who sends back to Person A) does not make it any less of an exchange or trade. These exchanges are a commitment to send and receive something; whether a participant succeeds or fails at that absolutely is worthy of a feedback rating, IMO, just like any other trade transaction.

Unfortunately, while I love our zappers very much and I'm so appreciative of all they do to bring a sense of friendship and community to these forums and really make us into a family, I just can't see a feedback score/category for zapping. Please bear in mind that this is just my opinion; ultimately it will be up to @Cicada At the end of the day, zapping is a RAOK (Random Act of Kindness). A zapper is sending someone an LBE because he/she wants to, because the zapper wants to make the zappee smile, have a better, brighter day, and so on. This is in no means an exchange, a trade, a fulfillment of a commitment where something was expected or due. And since nothing was due, while it's understandable that the zappee wants to acknowledge the zapper, I just don't consider the feedback score the appropriate place to do so. Perhaps thanking the zapper on the forum and paying it forward by becoming a zapper yourself would be the better (more appropriate) thanks?

10. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

My opinion is... if there is a way to leave feedback where it doesn't count in the feedback score... kind of like an additional little extra section.

yes I do like that there is feedback now on the secret santa stuff... because I feel more people are conscious of the fact they get a negative impact on their public record and fulfill the contract. Yes we still have a few that don't but now we have a way of doing things that are longer lasting... because a ban is not really a record that lasts in community memory.

11. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Understood. :)

12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I do like the idea of feedback that doesn't count for score. That's a nice compromise.

13. NutMeg

NutMeg The Nefarious N.M.G.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I think gift exchange feedback is a useful deterrent for people who may want to sign up on impulse but are unlikely to actually follow through and participate. It helps hold people accountable. These are really only "gifts" in name alone, because reciprocation is a requirement (unlike true zaps.) "Exchange" is the key word.

Leaving feedback is basically offering a character reference for that person (whether positive or negative.) There are people on this forum who I've never officially traded with, but who I've played "zap tag" with, and if they needed a reference I'd feel perfectly comfortable vouching for them. I do think zaps can serve as "corroborating evidence," so to speak. They definitely influence a person's reputation in this community. And as was already mentioned, some people do more zapping than actual trading. I'm pretty sure I've sent/received zaps on here more often than I've traded. And not everyone I've traded with has actually left feedback; some people are just bad at remembering to do it, even when everything goes smoothly (especially when it goes smoothly... when it goes bad, you can bet people will hear about it, haha.) On the other hand, people are pretty reliable about expressing vocal appreciation for a zap. So it might be helpful to have a zap feedback option to supplement those missed trade/sales ratings, and could even generate more of those ratings if people are getting in the habit of leaving zap feedback. But it certainly doesn't have to be on par with the other types of feedback. It doesn't have to contribute to someone's overall score. Or there could be a separate "zap tally" on your profile. Although that might bring out the competiveness in everyone... but in a good way, right?? ;)

But that's just my (very long) 2 cents. It's not like the lack of zap feedback is hindering the function of the forum, it's just a bonus that might be nice! If it's a hassle to actually create such a tool, or if the admins think it's illogical/unimportant, then it's obviously not a big deal.

14. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

At first, I didn't see the need for zap feedback. I'm still kinda iffy on having zap feedback (even if it doesn't affect the regular feedback)... I had a reason and then I forgot :[

BUT YES, DEFINITELY NEED for exchanges!!

15. Cicada

Cicada Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Super late, but I will look into this. :eek:

The idea of the trade/feedback system was to keep the integrity of the rating(s) -- having feedback for non-trade/sale related transactions could open it up for abuse.

slbrabham and bookhugger like this.