• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Fresh from Hooooong Kooooong itsssss ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh from Hooooong Kooooong itsssss ....

Merryweather

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
408   0   0
nope, it is not Saturday Night Live. Much worse :(

I was checking the completed auctions from certain (infamous) sellers. One of them is in my "public Enemy Top Five" list.

I saw this pin:

2 of these sold for a bargain $34.99 :cry:

If you need to see for yourselves, please search for "Princess Frog Show Boat" and opt for completed sales on Ebay. Another one bites the dust.

So I guess this dispels the rumor that 3D pins aren't being counterfeited... So sad.

Well, is it a counterfeit or a scrapper? From what I can tell, it looks like the mold used to make the pin was dead-on, that's usually hard to do for a counterfeit, isn't it?

Doc's hand is missing, and one of the points off the top of the boat are missing, so this definitely would have been a rejected pin.
I guarantee you that _every_ pin ever made has scrappers, the manufacturing process isn't perfect... And the more complex the pin, the more likely there are to be several. The problem is whether or not they make it out of the factory (they should be destroyed).

Obviously it's a bad pin, but I don't think it's evidence of 3D pins being counterfeited (although if they are worth enough, I can't think of a reason why someone wouldn't try...).

They should melt down all of the rejects and use the new, swirly-colored materials to make other things. I have no idea what. Just anything to make scrappers a thing of the past, because if Disney could make money off of them in other ways, there would be nothing for the manufacturers to sell on the side. Except true counterfeits, which are normally easier to spot anyway.

Ugh!! It's been a crummy week for scrappers. Erika (crushedbubbles) and I were just discussing the presence of the New Fantasyland Rapunzel and Cinderella pin showing up for $19.99 BIN with more than 10 available from the same seller, AND the D23 Flynn and Rapunzel mystery pin showing up the same way. Sucks, man.

Watch your listings, folks. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. :(

They should melt down all of the rejects and use the new, swirly-colored materials to make other things. I have no idea what. Just anything to make scrappers a thing of the past, because if Disney could make money off of them in other ways, there would be nothing for the manufacturers to sell on the side. Except true counterfeits, which are normally easier to spot anyway.

Well, that's what they are _supposed_ to do with them (at least, the melt-down/destroy part). They aren't supposed to leave the factory. But either employees take them anyway, or the factory sells them off un-destroyed by the pound or something just to get rid of them and make a little extra profit. They may even be selling them as scrap metal to recycling companies, and they've figured out they can make more money selling them as pins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back