• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Frozen "Scrappers" from HK and China sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frozen "Scrappers" from HK and China sellers

hopemax

DPF Super Moderator
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
202   0   0
I feel like someone else posted something about these, but I can't find the thread. If there was one, I hope someone has a link. Or if anyone has any additional details, maybe seeing more of these on FB or SoCal trading?

Since life is now back to normal, I've been trying to catch up on some pins. Many know about the Hans & Anna pin, and the Olaf blood drive having been scrapped and sold by known unscrupulous sellers, but these pins are also showing up being sold by both the "cold" seller and a Chinese seller that Merryweather and I have been tracking for several years, and another ebay account located in China.

The ones with singles might be okay, if it's true the cold seller is actually US based. The ones with quantity, "ye be warned." I assume that Paris ones are missing their individually numbered LE mark. But Grrr...

pin102861th200
15 sold from "cold" seller, 2 from known China seller

thumb130_201508104248.jpg
10 sold, 1 set of 5 available from "cold" seller
thumb130_201410248516.jpg
Total of 19 sold by "cold" seller
thumb130_201501309796.jpg
15 sold by "cold" seller
thumb130_201501304099.jpg
11 sold by "cold" seller
thumb130_201410257883.jpg
25 sold by "cold" seller
thumb130_201410252725.jpg
20 sold by "cold" seller
thumb130_201409266367.jpg
6 from "cold" seller, 2 from known China seller (given the pre-release controversy with this pin, shouldn't be a surprise)
thumb130_201409263177.jpg
10 sold from "cold" seller
thumb130_201508094867.jpg
5 sold by 2nd China seller (and I'm just starting to see a lot more auctions for this pin in general)
pin99143th200
1 sold by "cold" seller
pin100486th200
2 from "cold" seller
pin102102th200
2 from "cold" seller
pin102105th200
1 from "cold" seller

thumb130_201506024645.png
1 from known China seller
thumb130_201503135103.jpg
1 from "cold" seller
thumb130_201503134412.jpg
1 from "cold" seller

There were a couple higher LE WDW pins too: Spring Break, Flower & Garden Topiary

Yeah, this was back when I found him selling a couple of pins that I had been keeping an eye on:

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?54805-Scrapper-Warning-(DLRP-DSF)

Very disappointed to see more scrappers showing up. It just makes me suspicious of anyone who might be trying to trade them on PinPics or elsewhere, because they could have no idea of what they actually have. Always ask new traders where they obtained their pins I suppose!

:(

I knew there was a thread, but I looked here and not the main forum. Thank you for linking to it.

And yeah, it makes trading and buying so frustrating. I've been slowly working on my Frozen collection, and I especially like to look for bargains when something exciting and new came out (like ALL the new D23 stuff). People have to sell traders to recoup what they spent, or to buy the new stuff, and other people will pass on something to buy what's new, so less competition. But then you wonder if that bargain you got is really a good deal, or something someone picked up from one of these sellers, or is one of their favored distributors or a 2nd name or something.

That makes it so much harder to know if I should collect certain pins. I hesitate to buy pins that have a scrapper warning because I don't know what I'm getting.

Thanks for posting this, I might have seen this seller in the past selling the Spherical Window Anna. I thought it might be a scrapper as it didn't have a number stamped on the pin reverse, the edges looked particularly rough and it didn't come with a card. Had no idea that Paris pins were potentially scrapped :eek:

EDIT: Insecurity and panic has been creeping in increasingly since I read this post, does my Anna pin like a scrapper to you guys? I bought it from a CA based seller with near perfect feedback. I googled their name and a few people have vouched for him so I hope not, as this is my favourite pin and cost me quite a lot at the time :(

Last edited:
Im getting a little bit nervous about my Olaf bllod drive pin. Did not know it was counterfeited. How do you tell? Need to go home and look at mine to see how it looks. Anyone seen a confirmed real one and one confirmed fake one?

I have a confirmed real Olaf blood drive pin (my cousin is a cast member and got it directly from Disney for donating blood; she then gave it to me since she already had one from a previous donation). I can take pictures tonight and post them tomorrow.

Im getting a little bit nervous about my Olaf bllod drive pin. Did not know it was counterfeited. How do you tell? Need to go home and look at mine to see how it looks. Anyone seen a confirmed real one and one confirmed fake one?

Remember, there is a difference between a pin that is scrapped and sold by the "cold" seller (and he has sold 10 according to Ebay) and a counterfeit. The shorthand language of convenience, has lumped them in together, but there is a difference. The scrapped pins were made in the process of making Disney's official run, and there may not be noticeable differences. Sometimes there is a lot of scrap because an error was made (misspelling, wrong edition size), but many times it's only a matter of when a pin came off the line that seals its fate as either "authentic" or "scrap." And because of that, some people don't acknowledge the difference (there's one seller on Ebay with a letter showing that the pins they sell come directly from the factory so that makes them authentic). But what those scrapped pins do is destroy edition sizes, no longer are these DSSH pins "LE400" or whatever, but 400+ however many are flowing in from overseas.

I bought a scrapper from him for my personal collection. It did not turn out good, but it was from Paris and got so far in the process to have a number stamped on it. The enamel for her hair color runs into the shirt and the second spot for it to be soldered is not. I caution if you do purchase from this person, make sure it's going in your collection and you're not buying it to trade, because these pins are not up to quality. Hence, the scrapping.

Thank you, for the pics. Oftentimes, bad pins don't have the inventory control P number on the back of. Does anyone have, or has seen a Blood Drive pin without a number? Is so, that could be our "indicator."

Also, kind of interesting, is that the Mickey heads run vertical on that pin, instead of horizontal. I have seen that on other pins I purchased directly from Disney, so it happens, but is still kind of unusual.

Also, timeerkat, what are the last part of the P-number on your pin? There are a couple that show backs on Ebay. The first part of the numbering is the same for both pins, but the end for one is 13324, and a different one ends in 14169. The latter one is stamped in the same place as it looks like timeerkat's pin is, while the former is stamped really close to the edge (that one also looks like the Mickey's are deeper, but that could just be photography).

But without really understanding how those numbers are generated, I don't know if it means anything.

Thanks! That's the one that if I had to choose which number I thought was the "distributed by Disney" one, is the one I would chose. Like I said the one with the other number, was stamped very near the edge and the Mickey looked deeper. But maybe they both are appropriate. Any one else have one?

Plus, I recently bought a couple things from the 2nd seller, and so knowing that his blood drive pin looks like your pin, helps with reassurance in the "does this seller sell authentic stuff."

Thanks timeekat! My pins does have a stamp on the back but the number differs in the end. And its stamped a little bit further out on the edge. It looks good but Im still really nervous! Need to look at some on eBay. Anyone have a link to PM to me with one that is most likely fake on eBay?

Last edited:
The third Marquee has counterfeits out on eBay. The real pin has a dark blue background and the fake has a light blue background

FAKE
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg

REAL
$_35.JPG

Thank you. As distressing as all of this is, at least you have a better chance at protecting yourself when there is a noticeable difference.

And yep, our "cold" seller is selling them, and a couple other sellers with names I haven't seen before. I always wonder if they are additional accounts, or people who have purchasing from the cold seller and trying to flip them.

Last edited:
I try to avoid buying pins that don't come on the original card for this reason. I know disney has a report policy in place to deal with manufacturers that produce and sell unauthorized pins, but do they handle the sellers as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back