Graduation Sash - What material / can you use transfer iron-on?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by watzshakinbacon, May 3, 2018.

1. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

Hello, everyone!

I just received a graduation sash from one of my clubs, and it only has the stuff on one of the sides. There are no wash instruction/ material descriptions on it, but it's the "typical" kind that hangs around your neck. I think it's silk?

[​IMG]
    (Pardon the mess! )

If anyone has any experience with grad sashes/ silk (or whatever material this is), can you use transfer iron-on for them? Since one side is empty, I wanted to iron-on some extra stuff. I was looking into something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TS2H/?tag=thebroketogra-20

Any tips or advice would be appreciated! Thanks :]

2. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Cool Erin! Graduation time! Hope you enjoy :stitch:
    Sorry no suggestions, daughter graduated awhile back, but I can check with her.

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  3. Pinasaurus

Pinasaurus PinPics: Pinasaurus

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

It's probably satin, unless it was hella expensive, and then silk is definitely a possibility! If it's satin, it's a synthetic-blend material which means an iron runs the risk of melting the fibers. Sometimes you can get away with ironing on a low setting, with a damp (not soaked, just damp) cloth between your iron surface and the thing being ironed. I generally recommend ironing from the backside, the fabric on patches can be really thick so it's easier to get heat into the fusing from the back of the thing you're attaching patches to. Otherwise, steaming is really the only way to make sure satin doesn't get melted. If it's silk, then it can withstand being ironed, though you might want to avoid using a lot of water to steam or press it because silk can develop water spots.

Pellon does have a wide variety of double sided fusing materials, Joanns stocks a lot of it. I'm sure if you asked for a low temperature fusing material, they'll sell you something that works & don't forget a joanns coupon!

4. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

Thanks! OK, yes it was free, so I'm guessing it's satin! I figured it was not expensive enough to be silk, but I forgot about satin haha HMMMM.. I guess I will check out Joann's and see if I can get some help there :] after I check the paper for a coupon, of course!

5. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Website, or get the app! Always has the coupons

6. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

I recognize this sash!